Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thought of the Day: Which 22LR for CCW?

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Sigep1764 I was at the range one day working with my then new to me NAA revolvers in .22mag.

I had an RSO suggest that for a nose gun it would probably work pretty well. Insert barrel in nose, fire, repeat as needed.

I liked it, as it seemed a barrel shoved partly up someones nose just might have a bit more ability to "lead" in the direction wanted.
    You might actually have a little control.
    If you need to get that close for a firearm to do it's job, you have the wrong firearm. A knife would work just as well.
    A gun needs to keep the bad guys beyond arm's length. If it needs to be closer than ten feet to work, a perp with a knife or club will kill you.

Boolit Master
    Daekar,

Stay with your M63 and go for head shots.

Adam

Boolit Grand Master
    Were I limited to a 22lr, I'd carry my Browning 1911-22. It has been very reliable, holds 10+1 shots, and works just like a full size 1911. Only slightly larger, and more to my liking, I have a prewar sport model Woodsman.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Of all the .22 autos that I've owned over 50 years, the Colt Huntsman, the S&W 422, and the Beretta m70 come to mind to double as self defense guns. I carry a Ruger Wrangler these days for rural self defense.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

El Al Airlines security folks carried Beretta 22s for many years. They defeated several more heavily armed terrorist in shootouts.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned

Boolit Master

Federal Punch is the latest hi tech 22lr CCW ammo

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I thought I would bump this thread since the Sig P322 has been released. 20+1 capacity in something around the size of a 3" J-frame is something to consider.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

For me, it's the LCR22 snubby revolver loaded with Punch cartridges. I added a Hogue green laser grip, but I don't see that as essential.

I think the BIG disadvantage of a .22LR revolver is not the caliber itself, or the current myth of unreliable cartridges, it's the hefty 15# trigger pull ... but not at all difficult for most anyone without physical issues to overcome. Another is reload speed that will demand practicing with a speed loader.

Snubby revolvers are typically lighter, smaller and easier a carry than most semi-autos. Revolvers are always carried in “Condition 2”, no safety switches needed. If a round FTFs, keep pulling the trigger, no slide to rack or mag to drop for an FTF or FTE.

Unlike the snubby ejectors for all centerfire cartridges and .22mags, a .22LR snubby ejector will 100% dislodge all cases from the cylinder with the tap of a thumb or palm = surer and faster reloads (of at least 8 rounds and not 5 or 6).

The cylinder blast from a .22LR revolver is of zero consequence if your weak hand happens to cover the cylinder forcing cone area during firing, and firing positions can be far more radical than with a centerfire.

An eight shot .22LR snubby revolver loaded with proper premium cartridges - Federal Punch, CCI Velocitor, and others - is a CCW weapon not to be ignored - or dissed. These dayze, a .22LR revolver is quite the antidote for the typical SD scenario, but to each their own, and I own or have owned a gaggle of centerfire handguns - 1911 .45acp autos, wheel guns in .357mag/.38spl, and many autos in 9mm. They're all good aggressor deterrents, but the Ruger LCR22 allows me more accuracy and speed (with a PHLster AIWB holster), among more than a few other good attributes.

YMMV.

The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankJD View Post
    For me, it's the LCR22 snubby revolver loaded with Punch cartridges. I added a Hogue green laser grip, but I don't see that as essential.
    If I were forced to use a 22LR for self defense, I would go with this exact setup.

Well, maybe not exact as my LCR22 is an LCRx22 with a 3" barrel, but exact enough.

5 Star makes a nice speedloader for it as well, which is a bonus for SD use.

The LCRx22 is a fine revolver, I need to get one, but not for CCW - it has an exposed hammer that can spell withdraw issues and I'd rather have a shorter and faster deployed bbl ... just personal likes, no more, no less. I use an Ammo Pod .22LR speed loader that's made for the LCR/LCRx.

Boolit Buddy
    I guess if I needed to carry a 22, the main reason would be extreme concealability. A German made Walther TPH would be small and slim enough to justify a 22. Anything bigger, there are better cartridges for that size of gun. The Beretta 70 as noted earlier, is an excellent pocket 22, but for that size and weight, you can carry a 9 with far more effective ammo. The idea that someone can't handle the blast and recoil of cartridges larger than a 22 is for the most part a matter of proper training and purposeful practice, slowly increasing recoil and noise at a rate comfortable to the subject. If the person can't spend that much time getting used to a defensive firearm, they probably should not be running one in the first place. Ugly unpleasant fact but true. A far better alternative in the home would be a 22 or 9mm carbine like the Ruger PC. Far easier and more effective to handle with two hands and far more scary to run into in the hands of a frail person than with a tiny handgun in their adrenalized shaking hands. I have trained many women, young, old, big, petite and I never failed to get them comfortable with guns up to 9mm. Starting them with a small 9mm with full pressure loads is obviously a path to failure, but 22's or even very light 38's can work with a low stress, positive approach.

I've had several J frames, and an S&W 642 is just as concealable as an LCR22.

There are other more important reasons or some folks to go with an LCR22 rather than a 642.

Boolit Buddy
    The LCRx22 is a fine revolver, I need to get one, but not for CCW - it has an exposed hammer that can spell withdraw issues and I'd rather have a shorter and faster deployed bbl ... just personal likes, no more, no less. I use an Ammo Pod .22LR speed loader that's made for the LCR/LCRx.
    Yeah, totally. I got the LCRx to take hiking and such, not as a CCW primary, so the exposed hammer made sense. For use primarily for CCW, the internal hammer LCR would most definitely be the way to go.

But to me, for CCW, the 22LR LCRx is currently something like the backup to my backup's backup.

Boolit Master
    Does not matter what you carry> if you can hit with it, more importantly, hit what you are aiming at> if you should need to fire your weapon and can't hit with it, it's just a very loud and heavy noise maker> shot placement is what is important...

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Does not matter what you carry> if you can hit with it, more importantly, hit what you are aiming at> if you should need to fire your weapon and can't hit with it, it's just a very loud and heavy noise maker> shot placement is what is important...
    "If you can put holes into the vitals you're aiming at, caliber doesn't matter ... and if you can't, caliber doesn't matter." (Rhett @ Demonstrated Concepts LLC)

Boolit Grand Master
    "If you can put holes into the vitals you're aiming at, caliber doesn't matter ... and if you can't, caliber doesn't matter." (Rhett @ Demonstrated Concepts LLC)
    Big holes work much better than little ones.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Big holes work much better than little ones.
    True, but I'll take little holes over no holes.

Boolit Grand Master
    If I were to carry my LCP in 22 it would be with Minimags or Federal Punch which feeds reliably as much as a 22 can. Neither expand and expansion is definitely a drawback. Some LCPs don’t feed the Punch very well so test drive before laying in a supply. So Minimags are numero uno in any small 22 autoloader.

The revolver has serious merit if it also holds more than the ordinary six shots.

For the 38 I’d suggest a deeply seated wadcutter at 660-700 fps for recoil control effective bullet shape and reduced velocity variation which is a problem with light loads and conventionally or shallowly seated standard and lightweight bullets in the caliber.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast