Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thought of the Day: Which 22LR for CCW?

Boolit Master

Thought of the Day: Which 22LR for CCW?

I know that some folks will have an absolute fit at the very idea, but hear me out. If a shooter is highly sensitive to recoil and muzzle blast and the only cartridge that is an option for them is 22LR, what is the best gun for them to carry concealed?

I have a S&W Mod. 63 with 8 holes in the cylinder which shoots straight and soft while remaining small, so I feel comfortable recommending that, but I suspect that there may be other better options. I love the idea of a the Kel-Tec P17 since it has over twice the capacity of the Smith, but I haven't put my hands on one to see how easy it would be to carry for the average person.

What would you recommend to someone in this position?

Boolit Master

Occasionally I carry a small Beretta semi-automatic. I know I might need more firepower but it beats nothing!
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master
    While I'm not thrilled with the idea of carrying a .22 for defensive purposes, it would beat empty hands all to heck.

Given the short barrel length of a concealable handgun, the best answer I can come up with is to do your own expansion and penetration testing with the widest variety of .22 Long Rifle loads you can find. Not all loads will expand from a ~2" barrel, no matter what the manufacturer says.

Not all loads will function in tiny semi autos, I'm not familiar with the Keltec P17, so no help there.

If pressed, I think I would go with CCI's Stinger.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-14-2022 at 12:53 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I opt to listen those with evidence based results. I personally feel this is a good resource.

https://youtu.be/Qv7IfL1TeqI

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Many years ago I carried a Beretta 70s in .22 at times. CCI Mini mags in the magazine.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master
    If I had to bet my life on a .22LR round, it will be a CCI Minimag!

Banned

my wife has two carry guns. An lc9 for when shes going somewhere like a city away from home where crime is a consern. For everyday carry she has a naa 22lr mini revolver in a wallet holster in her purse. She likes it because even if shes somewhere that guns are frowned apon it looks like a wallet if someone glances in her purse. Might not be the first choice in a altercation but it sure beats a stick. I bought two of them and carry one in an ankle holster when im going on my daily walk in the summer. I actually have two guns for that. I carry my lcp in an ankle holster when i do one route that is about half in the woods because we have wolves and bear. Wolves make me nervous period and bears while they may not really present a problem because they usually run from a human still make me nervous because my dog is always with me and i worry that he might take off after one. You usually dont see them though. Last year twice i walked up on wolves on my walk. We also keep a smith shield 9mm in all three vehicles in the glove box with an iwb and owb holster so if were not carrying and find ourselves going in somewhere like walmart or menards ect or are out of town theres always that to stick in her purse or for me to use in a holster. I load the two naa's with stinger hps. Like i said it sure beats a stick. Cool thing about an naa in an ankle holster is even on a hot day when im wearing shorts just my socks for the most part hide one.

Most dangerous thing i face when walking isnt even the wolves or bear its when i walk down the shore of lake superior in the summer. for the last 3 years its been like a tent commune on the beach. we get overun by tourists and the low lives that dont want to pay for a legit campground form about what is communes on the beach. Twice now ive had altercations with them. they camp illegaly and the forest service liberals wont do anything to stop it because most of them are just liberal hippys thinking there roughing it. They leave there garbage everywhere and twice now threatend my dog who was doing nothing but walking by. Both times a pull up on my sweat pants cured the situation in short order. Ive left probably 20 messages with the forest service and the park service (who never answer there phones) and have never even got a response. One of the local sherrifs deputys and me spent 2 days last year cleaning up there mess in the fall. 3 of them even left there tents sleeping bags and about everything and left. Id like to really tell you what i think of the forest service and the park service but id probably get banned. Sorry for the rant but it really urks me when they destroy the beauty of our area and the people that are suppose to stop it dont do a thing.

Boolit Master

If all I can comfortably shoot is a .22, I'm sure not going to carry a little one. I'd want the ability to deliver accuracy, and quickly.

Probably one of the "Lite" Ruger MKIV's. About as close to "boring reliability" as you're likely to get from something shooting rimfire ammo.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I own a Ruger SR22. It is not my CCW, but I wouldn't be ashamed to carry it. A well placed .22 can be very effective.

Vendor Sponsor

Many years ago the 22LR used to be the number 1 cartridge that killed the most people in the US, followed by the 12ga shotgun. I don't know that those numbers are valid anymore. A lot has changed in the world of firearms since then.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    I know that some folks will have an absolute fit at the very idea, but hear me out. If a shooter is highly sensitive to recoil and muzzle blast and the only cartridge that is an option for them is 22LR, what is the best gun for them to carry concealed?

I have a S&W Mod. 63 with 8 holes in the cylinder which shoots straight and soft while remaining small, so I feel comfortable recommending that, but I suspect that there may be other better options. I love the idea of a the Kel-Tec P17 since it has over twice the capacity of the Smith, but I haven't put my hands on one to see how easy it would be to carry for the average person.

What would you recommend to someone in this position?
    My concern has much more been with size of firearm and its concealability (is there such as word?) than recoil or muzzle blast. I have a brother-in-law who professes, for "guaranteed reliability" he'll carry nothing but a revolver.

But -- for me -- I adore my old Beretta 950bs in .22! The same size semi-auto also comes in .25acp. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beretta-950bs.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	294523 Some profess the central-primer .25 has better reliability than its rimfire .22 sister. However, I've yet to experience -- rounds fired perhaps at or past the 1,000 shot range? -- any failure to fire or extraction issue with mine.

(As a bit of trivia side-note, the infamous agent James Bond carried one of these as HIS firearm of choice (before he later-on changed to another. Good enough for Bond -- good enough for me )

What I do...
    geo

I'm another vote for Mini-Mags. And as far as the whole 22/self defense debate goes, I'll opine that most of us who own and frequently use a 22 pistol or revolver for recreation, would be pretty proficient in defending ourselves with that weapon. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have never given it much thought as neither of us are that limited...yet.

About the only advice that may contribute is on ammunition. About the only stuff that I find reliable enough to carry is Eley. There may be others, but it is extremely consistent.

A person too weak to take the recoil of a .32 or .380, and needs a .22, likely cannot rack a slide so IMO semi-autos are out of consideration. That leaves one of the .22 DA revolvers. If they get a FTF, they just pull the trigger.

IMO, a downloaded .38 revolver, with a hard bullet for penetration, is still a better choice than any .22.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I have never given it much thought as neither of us are that limited...yet.

About the only advice that may contribute is on ammunition. About the only stuff that I find reliable enough to carry is Eley. There may be others, but it is extremely consistent.

A person too weak to take the recoil of a .32 or .380, and needs a .22, likely cannot rack a slide so IMO semi-autos are out of consideration. That leaves one of the .22 DA revolvers. If they get a FTF, they just pull the trigger.

IMO, a downloaded .38 revolver, with a hard bullet for penetration, is still a better choice than any .22.
    You made some great points. One of the reasons I chose to get the S&W Mod. 63 is that a failure just means another trigger squeeze and no trouble racking a slide for anyone.

I have been experimenting with low-power 357 loads in my 3" Mod. 60, and so far the experience has been very pleasant. So far the lowest I've gone is 158gr @ around 750fps, which looks low on paper but still smacks the target plates with surprising authority. Not sure if I'm better off sticking with the middleweight bullet and dropping the velocity further or switching to a 125gr and seeing what happens.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

North American Arms, the people who make the NAA mini revolver, have a lot of data posted on their site that they fired with their revolver.
    Lots of different cartridges and brands. More data for the thought process.
    https://northamericanarms.com/ballistics/ball-22lr/

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    If all I can comfortably shoot is a .22, I'm sure not going to carry a little one. I'd want the ability to deliver accuracy, and quickly.

Probably one of the "Lite" Ruger MKIV's. About as close to "boring reliability" as you're likely to get from something shooting rimfire ammo.
    I had that thought, but I have literally never seen any discussion about carrying one of the MK guns. Do they make larger magazines for them? It would be nice to pick up some additional capacity for that size frame.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Buddy
    Just did some research on Federal Punch flat nosed 22lr ammo. Wound cavity results in gell blocks seem impresive. I'm getting some to try out, may be a good small game load as well as pp.

Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    You made some great points. One of the reasons I chose to get the S&W Mod. 63 is that a failure just means another trigger squeeze and no trouble racking a slide for anyone.

I have been experimenting with low-power 357 loads in my 3" Mod. 60, and so far the experience has been very pleasant. So far the lowest I've gone is 158gr @ around 750fps, which looks low on paper but still smacks the target plates with surprising authority. Not sure if I'm better off sticking with the middleweight bullet and dropping the velocity further or switching to a 125gr and seeing what happens.
    I have been working with a light 125 grain boolit load. Probably about 750fps. I have not chronographed it yet. I was trying for a load to duplicate the 38 S&W long.
    VERY little recoil. Shoots very near point of aim in my revolvers. Maybe an inch low at 10 yards.
    Biggest issue so far is accuracy. The group is nearly 50 percent larger than the groups fired with full power 38 special loads.
    Still good enough for social purposes at that range.

Boolit Master
    I have a Walther PPK/S. It’s rated for High Speed Long Rifles. One of the magazines holds 8 rounds, the other 10. Its small enough to be concealable, but large enough for a reasonable grip. First shot double action, the rest single action. Kind of disconcerting when target shooting, but maybe not so much at the usual distances in an emergency.

Shoots pretty well, too. Good sight picture. Only had a few jams and those were with Standard Velocity LRs. Easy to take apart for cleaning.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast