RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: What in the Sam Hell have I bought now?

Boolit Buddy

What in the Sam Hell have I bought now?

It came with the Pacific Super Deluxe press and a Vickerman Seating die. I wanted one of these presses if I could find one with both downstroke and upstroke hinge block. The Vickerman seater was a bonus, I have a half dozen already, might as well have one in 30 caliber. What I am not familiar with is the other item. It appears it has a nose punch on it and the extra ram has what could be a bullet sizing die threaded into it?

Boolit Master
    Hard to tell from your text which part you’re talking about, but the die next to the Vickerman Seating die looks a lot like a black powder compression die.

Boolit Master

Almost appears to be a bullet feeding apparatus of some kind.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    The ram is probably for a bullet swaging kit . Nothing to offer for the odd die guts .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    Upon further examination that 7/8-14 threaded apparatus with the plunger that looks like a top punch goes down into the die that is screwed into the extra ram which has an ejector rod that an RCBS rockchucker priming arm w/o punch will shove back up on. It is marked 357 and I think it was used to size bullets that were then lubed in a pan by pouring melted lube over then cutting them out.

I’ve seen a lot of stuff in 60 years of pursuing this hobby, but this is the first one of these setups I’ve come across.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    The ram is probably for a bullet swaging kit . Nothing to offer for the odd die guts .
    By God that is exactly what it is. It is a complete 357 bullet swaging kit. That also explains the oversized pin in the second toggle link. Swaging 357 bullets would put a lot of stress on that pivot. I was wondering why that pivot would need to be so robust for something as low stress as sizing a cast bullet. It never crossed my mind it was an actual 38 caliber bullet swage.

It is obvious that the lever block and ram itself are Pacific parts. I was fiddling around with it in the press and if you take the priming punch out of the priming arm it would shove the finished bullet out on the down stroke. It is beyond obvious the swage assembly is extremely well made.

I don’t have a pivot pin for it but I’ll measure it up by sizing the hole in the lever block with my drills and see if I can find a high grade bolt to fit it. If not we will turn up a pin out of heat treatable steel on the lathe and see if we can get it working.
    Last edited by JDHasty; 01-14-2022 at 12:51 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    It is a genuine Pacific bullet swage, almost complete. And here are the instructions for it. We have a few Model 14s kicking around here that haven't been shot in a while this looks like fun.
    Last edited by JDHasty; 01-14-2022 at 01:02 PM.

Boolit Master

Until your post, I'd never seen one of those but, this morning, I noticed there's one just like yours listed on an online auction of ammo, gun parts, and tools at Mattoon, IL.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 01-15-2022 at 12:16 PM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    Until your post, I'd never seen one of those but, this morning, I noticed there's one just like yours listed on an online auction of ammo, gun parts, and tools at Matoon, IL.

Bill
    All it takes to make bullets is .340 lead wire, half jackets or gas checks, lubricant and a lead cutter. I spoke with Corbin this morning. Super Deluxe presses are not all that scarce either.

My understanding is that “preppers” will snatch these kits up for a tidy sum. I think we are going to keep it though.

Boolit Master

God, I love this forum , not only identified but complete instructions! Tim