Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Question about Lee molds

Question about Lee molds

I hear Lee handles will fit Lyman molds.. How do you remove the Lee handles? Mine appear to have tiny Allen screws. I couldn't get them to turn out. Then I read where they are pins. But a Allen wrench will not go into a pin..any one know about how to remove them..I need handled for my new Lyman hollow point mold..thanks
    keep on rolling along.no matter what happens just keep rolling

Boolit Buddy
    See the sticky. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...hange-Use-list

Sounds like you are looking at the 2 cavity handles, those don't come off so easily.

Boolit Buddy
    Left hand threads. Insert Allen key or tee handle key, tap it in and twist. May have to break the seal to move it. Not sure what size.

Boolit Grand Master

The handles for Lee 6 Cavity Moulds will fit the Lyman Moulds ... it's printed on the Lee Box now " Fits Lee 6 Cavity and Other Brands of 1 & 2 Cavity Molds" . These are made to be removed and fit the Lee 6 cavity mould blocks .
    Don't take the handles off the Lee 2 cavity mould ...they are not made to be easily removable and they will NOT fit .
    The end of the Lee box says ...Commercial Mold Handles - 90005 .
    I just ordered a set of these handles for Lyman or NOE blocks , they fit both , price is now $20.00 , which isn't bad .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 01-16-2022 at 10:06 AM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I use Lee commercial mould handles, with Lyman and RCBS 2 cav moulds without issue.
    ukrifleman

Boolit Master

In order for Lee 6 cav mold handles to fit RCBS I had to mill off this little bit. There's no mods required to use the Lee handles with Lyman two cavity molds.

The weak point with Lee handles is they're made with sintered metal. As such they don't have the strength of even low carbon cold rolled steel (SAE 1018). You can use a mill file to work down the material but be sure to constantly clean your file with a wire brush or file card.

Sintering
    Sintering or frittage is the process of compacting and forming a solid mass of material by heat or pressure without melting it to the point of liquefaction. Sintering happens as part of a manufacturing process used with metals, ceramics, plastics, and other materials.Wikipedia

Boolit Master
    I used my bench grinder to thin the tips of the Lee handle to fit my Rcbs mold. Quick and easy.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Grand Master
    I like to keep an extra set or two of the multi-cavity Lee moulds on hand all the time. In my experience they fit or can easily be made to fit virtually anybody’s moulds. A trick taught to me by Dale53 is to drill the ferrules for cross pins (hollow pins are best) and pin them when new, before the handles ever have time to get loose. Problem solved before it arises!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I like to keep an extra set or two of the multi-cavity Lee moulds on hand all the time. In my experience they fit or can easily be made to fit virtually anybody’s moulds. A trick taught to me by Dale53 is to drill the ferrules for cross pins (hollow pins are best) and pin them when new, before the handles ever have time to get loose. Problem solved before it arises!

Froggie
    An Ounce of Prevention is worth a Pound of Cure ...

You Tip is a good one ... I was looking at the set of new handles on my desk thinking the same thing ... I need to pin the ferrules before doing anything !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I started out with a pair of RCBS handles. At first it was ok switching the handles back and forth, but then it got old after I started accumulating more different molds. If you are going to plan on switching back and forth, I wouldn’t. Invest in at one new pair of handles.

Boolit Master
    with the lee handles, I take the new wood handle off, fill the hole with JB weld, mush everything back together
    Loren