Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: where to find load info for cast bullets?????

where to find load info for cast bullets?????

I thinking of trying cast bullets to go easy on some of my milsurp rifles. Anyway I found some web sites that have mosin or .303 cast bullets for sale. The bullets weights dont quite match the information I have in some of my reloading manuels???

I would like to try a .312 diameter bullet in the mosin nagant and 303 british no1 mkiii I have. does anyone have info on where I might get some charge weights and good powders to start with????

Thanks,
    jeff

Boolit Grand Master
    Because of the near-impossibility of manufacturers providing data for every cast boolit out there, it becomes necessary to innovate just a little.

First, check the cast bullet manuals. Is there a bullet of similar design and approximately equal bullet weight? A difference of 5 - 10 grains is pretty negligible when you are dealing with 30-32 caliber rifle cartridges. A 200 grain bullet is only ~5% heavier than a 190 grain bullet. And if it resembles your hypothetically lighter boolit, you can use that data from the heavier boolit as is, using normal reloading precautions and starting low and working up. If your boolit is heavier, you may knock a 1/2 grain or perhaps a grain off the start load.

Now one thing to bear in mind is that cast boolits generally won't allow you to shoot them at the same speeds as jacketed bullets. While there are some guys who have managed to do so with accuracy, that is not the path that you are on. Off-the-shelf boolits with unknown lubricants are not going to get you there. But do not despair. You don't have to go that route to develop good-shooting, light recoiling, useful loads that afford you relatively inexpensive shooting for fun and practice (at least, inexpensive until you start buying molds, sizers, furnaces etc.)

But what if you don't find data for a boolit of your weight, or maybe you have a flat-nosed stubby bullet like the Lyman 312-440 and all the data you can find is for longer, pointier boolits? Who cares? As long as you stay down at the starting load and away from the top, you'll be ok.
    Cast boolit loads run to faster powders and lower pressures than equivalent rifle jacketed loads. Simply put, this means that there is a little more room to maneuver at 25,000 psi than there would be if you were already at 50,000 psi in your max-55,000 psi rated rifle. If the pressure goes up 5,000 or even 10,000 psi in the former case, no big deal, whereas in the later case things are getting hairy, especially for use in 80-120 year old firearms.

However, if all else fails, try 20 grains of 2400 in your Moisin or 18 in your SMLE with just about any boolit from 150-200 grains.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

You can download copies of several issues of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook in .pdf format, easy to find and download. They cover most everything you could want. Don't stress over the exact bullet weight if it's only a few grains. Use the data for next heavier weight if you're concerned about it. Usually, you're not dealing with enough pressure to worry about. That's the nice thing about Lyman's data, they list the chamber pressure.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    Welcome to our forum. Be careful you don't get hooked on cast boolits in just about everything you shoot. It is a consuming hobby. Definitely pick up the real book from Lyman at your large gun store that has the decent book section. You will find yourself reading it late at night when no-one is looking.

Boolit Grand Master

Your best bet is the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition . It is available at Amazon $20.01 + 3.99 shipping ... total cost delivered to your door $24.00 .
    This reloading manual deals ONLY with cast boolits and the 4th edition has been updated with cast boolits other than Lyman ... It's my first Go-To book when loading cast .

Got a question ... Castboolits is only a keypad away ... glad to help .

Welcome to the addiction !
    Gary
    P.S. I don't care for pdf ... I like to turn the pages !
    Last edited by gwpercle; 01-28-2022 at 02:09 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Another add on for using data for similar weight bullets. Try to stay close to the same seating depth and don't automatically go with the same COL especially with cartriges that have a smaller case volume.