Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joy with the 30-06 and 2400

Boolit Master

Joy with the 30-06 and 2400

My son put three under an inch with my Weatherby Vanguard this morning. 21 grains 2400, Lee 170 RNFP, powdercoated, gas checked, 50/50 ww/pure air cooled alloy, neck sized Rem brass, WLR primer 1850-1900 fps. Fouled, cold bore. He would have kept shooting, but I had him stop so we could enjoy it, never done it myself with cast. We’ve probably killed a dozen deer with this load over the years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E7F4E078-AC45-47A2-BB6F-FF8EB80AE653.jpeg  

Very nice! The Lee 170 is the most accurate boolit in my Featherweight '06.
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

That's good.

I've got a bunch of .30 j-words I've accumulated over the years, and haven't loaded.
    I find it much more enjoyable to shoot cast in the rifles of .30 and bigger.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

That is some good shootin' You should buy him a beer!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    That is some good shootin' You should buy him a beer!

Randy
    Maybe when he turns 21

Boolit Master

OK, how about a root beer,
    God Bless, Whisler

You live in NC for Gods sake,,, the kid has probably been drinking Shine since he was 12! chug a lug, chug a lug!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Bub
    100 yds? If so, congratulations. It's my goal to achieve sub moa with a cast combination, but I'm not there yet.

Boolit Mold
    It is possible to achieve sub-MOA with a cast bullet in some barrels. On two separate occasions I have fired 3 shot 100 yard groups less than 1/2 inch center-to-center (0.43 and 0.33) with a 30-30. It is a Browning 1885 with a 30-30 barrel using a small reticle high powered scope. I used a Lyman 311291 mold with wheel weight metal quenched in water straight out of the mold. The bullets were lubed with Lyman Alox and sized at 0.310 inches with a Lyman sizer using a Lyman gas check. The powder was Alliant 2400 at 17 grains. The overall length was 2.53 inches with a light taper crimp. I used Winchester Large Rifle primers. The cases were once-fired from that barrel that were resized with the shoulder pushed back just a couple of thousandths before reloading. My notes don't contain whether it was Winchester or Remington cases. I couldn't believe the first group. That is why I tried it on two separate days, separated by about 4 months. So, it is possible with that particular combination. I am guessing that the velocity was around 1500 FPS but haven't chronographed that load.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Aerotox View Post
    It is possible to achieve sub-MOA with a cast bullet in some barrels. On two separate occasions I have fired 3 shot 100 yard groups less than 1/2 inch center-to-center (0.43 and 0.33) with a 30-30. It is a Browning 1885 with a 30-30 barrel using a small reticle high powered scope. I used a Lyman 311291 mold with wheel weight metal quenched in water straight out of the mold. The bullets were lubed with Lyman Alox and sized at 0.310 inches with a Lyman sizer using a Lyman gas check. The powder was Alliant 2400 at 17 grains. The overall length was 2.53 inches with a light taper crimp. I used Winchester Large Rifle primers. The cases were once-fired from that barrel that were resized with the shoulder pushed back just a couple of thousandths before reloading. My notes don't contain whether it was Winchester or Remington cases. I couldn't believe the first group. That is why I tried it on two separate days, separated by about 4 months. So, it is possible with that particular combination. I am guessing that the velocity was around 1500 FPS but haven't chronographed that load.
    Awesome. Welcome to the forum!

Boolit Grand Master
    Whenever I shoot an exceptional group, I immediate repeat the attempt a number of times in the same range session to determine if the exceptional group was exceptional or typical.

Unfortunately one group or one group separated from another group by months usually doesn’t prove anything at all. Multiple groups shot one after another do, but this has always been true.

For your next range session if you are into three shot groups I might suggest shooting eight three shot groups fired the same day, same piece of paper. This will show aggregate accuracy better.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Whenever I shoot an exceptional group, I immediate repeat the attempt a number of times in the same range session to determine if the exceptional group was exceptional or typical.

Unfortunately one group or one group separated from another group by months usually doesn’t prove anything at all. Multiple groups shot one after another do, but this has always been true.

For your next range session if you are into three shot groups I might suggest shooting eight three shot groups fired the same day, same piece of paper. This will show aggregate accuracy better.
    All true. Despite posting the details, this wasn’t about repeatability, load development, alloy, pc or the rifle. It was simply about a father and son enjoying a moment that we will both remember for a long time. I did order him a Timney trigger to replace the horrid stock trigger

Boolit Grand Master
    Understandable. For myself I just have to be sure what I think I know is what is actually happening.

Boolit Grand Master
    Great group. Gives you kind of a warm feeling inside to do that.
    Had a Rem 700 in 338 WM that would shoot about like that using 4759 and a 240gr boolit @2000fps. One of Toms moulds I had him make for my 338ME and tried it in the WM.

Boolit Master
    It is really cool to see a bullet go exactly where you aimed it. But, it makes the fliers that much more frustrating too

Glad you had a great day with your kid. They don't come often enough.

Had a similar day with a nephew. He watched me hit a golf ball at 75yd with my Win94 and cast bullets. Three times in a row. With open sights (receiver peep). No, I'll never be able to repeat that one Now he has the rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

2400 is my "go to" powder for match level accuracy in both my M70 target 308W and my M1903A1 NM 30-06. Here's 20 gr of 2400 under the 30 XCB out of the M1903A1 NM at 100 yards. Two sighters with sight adjustment, then ten shots "for record".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1903A1 NM png.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	314.0 KB 
ID:	294652

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XCB 20gr 2400 wdac.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	294653
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    You live in NC for Gods sake,,, the kid has probably been drinking Shine since he was 12! chug a lug, chug a lug!

Randy
    Lots of Damn Yankees live there now; bring all their foreign habits with them.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master
    Many years ago, a long time High Power shooter friend of mine talked about using a “bumble bee load” in his pre-64 Winchester Model 70 target rifle. We were shooting the reduced (100 yd) course in Charlottesville, VA when he told me about using this light recoiling reduced load of 2400 behind a 165(?) gr BT spire point. He spoke highly of it, but I was “too busy” and didn’t bother to get the details, and he is sadly long deceased.

It’s good to get this hint on how I might be able to get back on the track of his load.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I have used 16 gr of 2400 with the 311299 boolits in my .30-06 and .308 guns, but I will try upping that to 20 gr.

Randy

Boolit Master

My turn! This time with the same load in a Tikka T3 Hunter, three shots, warm bore. Shot another submoa group just before this one as well, just a bit larger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 52CBA8AA-97DE-49AB-83BB-472AD985FB6A.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast