Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: huge new brass auction, marinette, Wisconsin

Boolit Master

huge new brass auction, marinette, Wisconsin

didn't know where exactly to put this. but in my carousing of govt auctions came across a whole bunch of listings for lots of new brass, mostly 45 auto and 223. being auctioned off on govdeals in marinette, Wisconsin .
    with all the shortages I thought I'd let y'all know

farmbif, got a link to the auction site?

Boolit Master
    just go to govdeals.com and search the word "brass", there are a bunch of listings

Boolit Master

Read the fine print. They often have crazy rules about pick up and if it must be destroyed by the buyer. Remember its from big brother nothing is simple!

We have a local Air Force Base that has a large and very active firing range.

They used to have their used range brass picked up by a local scrap metal dealer who resold it, simply as "scrap brass", for whatever the going price was. Seems like, at that time (late 1970's through the mid 90's), the "going price" varied between about eight to twelve cents a pound.

They, literally, had 55 gallon barrels full of once fired range brass (.308, .223, 45ACP and 9mm) and it seemed to be an inexhaustible supply.

Sometime around the mid 90's, .gov decided that surplus range brass could no longer be sold to the public, which put an end to that.
    NRA Life Member

But the People, in their weeping, bare the iron hand.
    Beware the People weeping, when they bare the iron hand.
    . . . . "The Martyr", Herman Melville, 1865

Boolit Master
    Last time I was at the scrapyard,there were big cartons (pallet size) of fired brass,maybe 9mm.....the kid was sort of moving over to have a look......I said -dont even think about it-there are cameras everywhere.

Boolit Master
    A gun store in my area has an indoor range that gets a lot of visits from their customers. The owner also had visits from people wanting to buy his boolits for smelting. He agreed to sell them the entire lot of lead so long as the buyer also took the complete volume of fired brass. "Buy both or neither, your choice." was his offer. Pricing was set at the current scrap market price. So far he has not had any trouble in selling these materials. The buyers usually took the brass to a scrap buyer to get their funds back, at least most of it, then began doing whatever they would with the lead. Both the seller and buyer are happy with this arrangement.

Slick Willy Clinton put the end to that.

Boolit Grand Master

I looked at these auctions as a possible something to do when I retired. One thing that I noticed was that the starting bid stayed the same right up to the final seconds and then got picked off by some of the larger salvage companies. Another was that a few of them required them to be destroyed before leaving the property.

But apparently some have found a way around this. I have seen pallets of military brass for sale at a few gun shows.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    A gun store in my area has an indoor range that gets a lot of visits from their customers. The owner also had visits from people wanting to buy his boolits for smelting. He agreed to sell them the entire lot of lead so long as the buyer also took the complete volume of fired brass. "Buy both or neither, your choice." was his offer. Pricing was set at the current scrap market price. So far he has not had any trouble in selling these materials. The buyers usually took the brass to a scrap buyer to get their funds back, at least most of it, then began doing whatever they would with the lead.
    Indoor Ranges, at least the ones that comply with OSHA air quality standards, generate Brass, Lead and Lead Dust.
    There are companies that will pickup and pay for the range brass
    Some company will also pickup the lead and jacket remnants from the bullet traps, but seldom pay anything for them.
    The lead dust and airborne particulates the range air scrubber collects, are supposed to be sent to toxic land fills and cost money to dispose of. That usually eats up any profit from brass sales.