Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with a Lyman 450

Help with a Lyman 450

I’m new to the casting game and picked up parts for a Lyman 450, from what I can tell I am missing the wrench for the lube press. I also need the mounting bolts? Or would any work from the old hardware store? And lastly are the hot plates for the 450 and 4500 interchangeable? I currently have it sitting in a pile of parts on the work bench as it needed a serious cleaning. I can post pictures of what I have if that helps someone diagnose my predicament and find replacement parts.
    Last edited by Spoonz; 01-13-2022 at 08:28 PM.
    The psychologist said I’m normal, and gave me paperwork to prove it.

Boolit Master

Missing the wrench ? do you mean the one for the Sizer die ? or the one for the reservoir ?

KeithB over on the Artful bullet sells a Fantastic Die nut retention driver, and the Chapman Co. makes the ratchet for the reservoir.
    Last edited by Walks; 01-13-2022 at 02:09 PM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Good point, I’m missing both!

Moderator Emeritus

Spoonz
    Welcome to the website.

first the wrench, they are made by Chapman
    https://chapmanmfg.com/products/famo...-ratchet-cm-13

But you can use any right angle ratcheting 1/4 screwdriver like this, they are available from many sources and most hardware stores.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piec...ver-92630.html

There are lots of options for a heater. Most heat plates will have holes for several different brands/models of lubesizers.
    I think the newest 4500 models have a hole for a heating element, so no plate is needed.
    Good Luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Thank you!

I have some leftover stuff from where I changed my old lubrisizer handle/ram from the single covered steel handle to the split flat metal handle. Have the ram and linkages i think. Let me know if you need anything and maybe i can help.

Boolit Grand Master

The lube reservoir can use any 1/4 inch ratcheting socket set to turn. No requirement for anything special or dedicated unless that is a personal preference.

For the die retention nut, I will second the offering from Keith. I got one back when he was a vendor on this board, and it is quite the upgrade from a factory wrench.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

The heater plates I've seen are more or less universal.
    I threaded my plate with short 1/4-20 bolts and attach the press to the plate.
    My bench has a 1/4" metal plate for the deck, and I use nuts & bolts through the heater plate with 1/4-20s to attach it.

Or you can bolt the press, going through the plate to the bench.
    Any method will work, but if your bench has a metal top- put a piece of plywood under the plate.
    Otherwise, the heat will all run out and disperse to the metal deck and not get to the press.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

This is how I did my heater to work both sizers. Added a piece of aluminum to transfer the heat from the heater to both units and mounted the whole thing on a piece of oak. Just clamp it to my bench, plug it in and size/lube. Like the orange hard lube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 474043C0-E10A-42A0-B458-679ED9645996.jpg  
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 01-15-2022 at 08:43 PM.

Thanks everyone, I think outside of those 2 wrenches I may only be missing a linkage pin which I’m sure I can snag at the hardware store. I will probably post a picture to this thread later tonight so I don’t keep everyone guessing and drive everyone nuts. I really do appreciate the help!

For heat I just lay a reflector lamp with a 75 watt incandescent bulb against the back of my 450s. Even a mechanics' drop light would do.
    https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Deluxe...2136210&sr=8-8
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Make sure the threads are good before you start. 2 years ago I overhauled 3 450's and Lyman had the parts. E bay has parts also. The linkage has about 4 linkage set ups. Some of the linkage arms are on the inside & some out and some have spacers different lengths. The rams are different thickness sizes also. You seem to have an earlier one. I own 6 450's and all are a little different. PUT THE NUT over the lube sizing die before installing to keep from crossing the threads and a few drops of oil on the ram. The older ones have 1 0 ring for the tube and you can upgrade to one that has 2. A Christmas tree light will work for heat and you can leave it on. I heat mine with a heat gun before use. It will leak if you use too much heat. I use a solder iron for heat on one of them. The later ones have a hole in the bottom back base that a small solder iron will fit and you can adjust the heat. Some parts stores have green air conditioning o rings that will work in a tight. I can send a photo of your linkage set up if needed.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 01-14-2022 at 06:25 AM.

Banned
    The heater works on both but I’m in Shiner, TX and I’ve never needed a lube heater in 50 years of use. If it is cool I just warm up the reservoir with a heat gun!

Need for a heater is also dependent on the lube you choose.

When I switched to Ben's Red I no longer needed a heater. I'm in Michigan and my shop is mid to high 60's at the reloading bench during the winter. Ben's works fine at that temp. The harder commercial lube didn't.

I was making my own heater when I switched to Ben's. Now I've got an 80% built heater with no reason to finish it. Nice aluminum plate drilled and tapped, 12v heaters from amazon.

Yup, more stuff for the too good to throw out but have no idea what I'll use it for pile.

45DUDE, Any pictures or diagrams you would have of the finished product would be very helpful.

Boolit Buddy
    The two Lyman wrenches are the case hardened ratchet type that is used to pressurize the lube. And the combo box end/open ended wrench is for the sizing die retainer nut. The socket type wrench is from a member on a different forum and highly recommended. I've made heater plates that are blatant rip offs of the Lyman heater plate (second sizer from right) from aluminum plates (2@ 4'X4'X1" and one 4 1/2"X 4 1/2"X 5/8") and a cartridge heater that fits the three home made heaters.

Boolit Grand Master

Any ratchet wrench will work for the lube pressure rod. Go to Lowes, Home Depot or any local parts store and buy a 1/4 inch Gear Wrench. The wrench that Keith makes is nice and works for the die retaining nut. Be very careful when changing dies, that nut is thin and easily damaged. Its also has non-standard threads. I usually put it on the die, set the die in the reservoir and lower the ram using it to keep the nut square with the base. You can use a 1/4 inch bolt for linkage pins. I think I have a grade 5 in mine with a locknut on it. If you need the "O" ring go to any store that works on hydraulic equipment. I found mine at the local Case International dealer. The parts guy let me look through drawer after drawer until I found one. All of the heater bases that I have seen are predrilled and threaded for most of the different sizers. I don't remember the size but its a standard bolt size.

Boolit Grand Master

A couple years ago I was buying , from Lyman , a few odds and ends for my 450 in case it ever needed parts ... there is a Lyman site that sells these replacement parts .
    I discovered Lyman sells a Upgrade Kit , has all the linkage , ball handle and various other parts included on this Lyman site ... I found it by searching Lyman Products , Accessories , Replacement Parts try www.lymanproducts.com It seems like I had to search the term ...I couldn't get to parts and accessories from their dumb home page ...there is an exploded diagram with all the parts .

I don't know about a heater ... I use soft lube and if heat is needed a iron or heat gun or lamp .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    A couple years ago I was buying , from Lyman , a few odds and ends for my 450 in case it ever needed parts ... there is a Lyman site that sells these replacement parts .
    I discovered Lyman sells a Upgrade Kit , has all the linkage , ball handle and various other parts included on this Lyman site ... I found it by searching Lyman Products , Accessories , Replacement Parts try www.lymanproducts.com It seems like I had to search the term ...I couldn't get to parts and accessories from their dumb home page ...there is an exploded diagram with all the parts .

I don't know about a heater ... I use soft lube and if heat is needed a iron or heat gun or lamp .
    Gary
    Found it, thank you for the help. It appears the 450 and 4500 share a great number of parts.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/4500-l...lacement-parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonz View Post
    Found it, thank you for the help. It appears the 450 and 4500 share a great number of parts.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/4500-l...lacement-parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order what goes in the cylinder and you should be good to go. It's better to order the top threaded compression piston with 0rings installed. You need maybe $20 worth of parts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast