MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Just bought a LEE magnum melter

Boolit Mold

Just bought a LEE magnum melter

Finally "bit the bullet" and bought a LEE Magnum Melter. Other than de-greasing the pot before the initial melt and leaving about 1/2 inch of lead in it between sessions...is there anything I need to know? I'll be using a Lyman ladle. Should I "pressure cast" by holding the spout firmly in the fill hole or should I "pour" the cast, holding the spout just above the fill hole? It's been a couple years since I've thrown any bullets so I'm not a complete neophyte, but I'm always willing to learn.
    (I also have a LEE Production pot IV but the small sizing makes fluxing difficult. Have an old SAECO dip pot that the temperature control failed. Been trying to wire various things in line to control the heat with only minor success. Router speed control that I originally wanted to try is out of stock at the local Harbor Freight...hasn't been available for over a month.)

ADMIN

I always leave mine full of lead
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Buddy
    I always pour cast and leave a small puddle. The weight of the column of lead in the pot can cause finning, etc. And pressure pouring has always left me with small pin holes in the bullet base and increases smearing on the sprue plate. And the weight changes as the level drops, and I find it easier to adjust the speed of my movement when pouring. I find it actually helps having a small puddle when I cut the sprue. I can see how long it takes to start hardening and adjust the temp and/or speed. On multiple cavity molds I will often (but not always) move from cavity to cavity with a single pour joining each sprue puddle together. I can't tell it makes any difference in the quality of the cast, but it makes it easier to reintroduce the sprues back into the pot.

I also leave mine within an inch of the top. Love mine, made casting larger boolits a joy instead of always running out of lead.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

I have one wrapped under the Christmas tree right now. While I wait to open the gift I purchased I have been modifying a spare pot to accept a thermocouple so I can control the temps with a PID.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3738.jpg   IMG_3737.jpg  
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Mold
    Just was delivered Thursday afternoon. (12/23) Probably won't fire it up for a few days...holiday and all, you know. Looking forward to throwing some boolits...haven't done that for more than a few years.

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought a Magnum Melter about a year ago and use it with my RCBS ladle. If I had bought this first, I don't think I would have ever messed with the bottom pour pots.

I generally pour from a short distance from the sprue plate, and leave a bit of a puddle for the sprue to draw from. If I start getting incomplete fillout, a momentary touch of the spout to the filled hole gives just enough pressure to make the bases sharp.

Robert

Boolit Mold
    Good information, thank-you Robert.

Boolit Grand Master

I get my best boolits with the Magnum Melter , Lyman Ladle and pressure casting by turning the mould horizontal , holding the little spout tight to the hole then rotating vertical . The bottom pour pots gave me problems , had trouble finding the nozzel hole ...too much pressure ...missed the hole ...
    I could cast a lot of imperfect boolits with a bottom pour but the Lyman Ladle and LMM let me cast many more perfect , well filled and sharp edged boolits .
    Also you have the same amount of alloy in the dipper each time ...unlike the bottom pour ...they drop the level and pressure ...and the spout keeps clogging up ... I got to hate the bottom pour .
    That 20 lb capacity is so Sweet !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Mold
    I imagine that there will be a "learning curve" to endure when starting to cast again. I started with ladle casting, made a lot of mistakes and then learned to take my time and pay more attention to technique. Friend gave me a Lee production pot and I seemed to do better with it...meaning mainly speed of production. It dripped occasionally but not enough to cause me concern. But the major failing of the little production pot was that it was difficult to flux, stir and remove dross. Got tired of using a larger pot to prep alloy and then transferring it to the Lee production pot. Hopefully, this larger ladle casting pot will live up to the reputation and I will be up to the task of good ladle casting. Time will tell.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been casting with the Lee magnum melter and longer Lyman ladle now for about 3 or 4 years, I wish I had it 40 years ago . I started with the pot that held 4 pounds of lead ... I didn't realize what a hinderance that was , the 10 pound capacity bottom pour was better... the 20 lb capacity ... that's the size I will recommend to every one ... I wasted so much time waiting for lead to melt ... the 20 lb. pot lets you cast until your hands and arms get tired ... much better size.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

This is on my list, I currently have the small 4 pounder. It does get empty pretty quick.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Sully

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbs44 View Post
    This is on my list, I currently have the small 4 pounder. It does get empty pretty quick.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    You gonna LOVE that 20 pound capacity ... Trust Me ...
    4 pound pots are miserable little things that try your very soul .

Let's Drink To the 20 Pound Pot
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

I melted a bit of pewter in that 4 pound Lee when I started selling ingots those many years ago. It was small even for that. I moved to the Lyman Big Dipper 10 pound, only because I thought the Lee 20 would be too deep to easily dip the last pound or so. Boolit casting I doubt it would ever get that low. I’m sure you will be happy with the upgrade.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Mold
    I probably won't use a PID. Takes all the "fun" out of casting.