Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: New 6 cavity mold

Boolit Buddy

Red face New 6 cavity mold

Hi all, bought a Lee 358-158 RF in 6 cavity, all I can say is, awesome! Should have used these sooner I'm afraid my 44 year old 10 lbs Lee pot is going to need replaced. It took maybe 40 min or so to empty it after I got used to using it. Almost feels like cheating, lol huge pile of boolits in no time..
    Retired: school of hard knocks
    NRA Lifer

Boolit Master

IMHO something has changed with late 2021/2022 molds from LEE. I too have bought /upgraded some 2 cav with 6cav and so far three have been best lee molds I have owned. I have a new 312-1552R coming in a few days and hoping it too is a improved model!

Shirley is really outdoing her bad self!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Glad to hear it. Mostly because I have both moulds in my cart waiting to finish the order with a few more items. Lee moulds have always made me happy. Not sure why. Oh I remember I'm cheap.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a Lee 240 gr. swc for my Rossi 44 rifle about a month ago. It dropped great bullets from the get-go. I wish that i had bought the 6 cavity rather than the 2 holer. Inexpensive doesn't have to be cheap.

Boolit Master

I just bought a new 358- 150 round nose double cavity Lee mold that was in stock for a long time at my favorite gun store. It is the old style with the guide ribs instead of the pegs sticking out. But it was brand new. Since I got into 38s I thought I should have this mold for them. I also got a 277 two cavity for a 277 wolverine that has a nominal weight of 135 gr. That is the new style and looks good to me. I had very little trouble with the old style molds but migrated into 6 cavity molds on bullets I liked. As far as emptying the pot, I always have a stack of ingots standing close to feed the pot when it gets down a little. I find it helps the pot keep up and once i am going good , making nice boolits , I hate to stop. But two cavity molds can be fun too , Maybe a little more relaxing, unless you try using more than one at the same time.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Cool.

Now you have the perfect reason why you 'need' a 20 pound pot.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

My last mold arrived today. A LEE 312-1552R and just like the LEE 452-160, 452-200 & 452-230. its perfect!!! Spure DEAD FLAT NO BURRS!!!

I cut the gas check shanks out of 4 cavaties. (I dont beed them with powder coat at velocities Im shooting them in 300 BO. )

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    My last mold arrived today. A LEE 312-1552R and just like the LEE 452-160, 452-200 & 452-230. its perfect!!! Spure DEAD FLAT NO BURRS!!!

I cut the gas check shanks out of 4 cavaties. (I dont beed them with powder coat at velocities Im shooting them in 300 BO. )

CW
    I also use this mold in the 6 cavity for my Blackout. Agreat bullet and a great mold.

Boolit Master
    Get yourself a 20 pound pot and use your 10 pound to premelt so you can just take a dipper and keep your 20 pounder filled without having to worry about changing your temperature.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys for the suggestions... as a result of the session the other day I was checking diameters with my mics, I was getting some that read .364"-.368" ! And some were normal around the .360" mark. I thought, wth, did I get a bad mold? Then I realized an elusive problem I was having occasionally, only magnified by the longer 6 cavity mold. I wasn't holding the mold together tightly enough. I then re-melted the batch around 350 or so and cast again to see if it was the problem, only this time I did maybe a 100 or so. Sure enough that was it... they all measure around the .360" or slightly less...
    Retired: school of hard knocks
    NRA Lifer

I had two Lee 6 cavities; 9mm and 10mm. They both drop great bullets and lots fast! Keep a hot plate handy so you can keep it warm when needed. My pot is a Lee 20 and it works great feeding the 6’s. Good luck!