Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Noe Expander Plugs Help

Boolit Master

Noe Expander Plugs Help

I want to order some expander plugs from Noe but no clue what ones. Here is a list of the sizes of my cast boollits. 38/357 sized to .358, 45 sized to .452 , 44 mag sized to .430 & .429 , 30-06 sized to .309 & .310 Can someone give a list of expanders I should order. Thank you

Here is the 358. i use (.362 x .358) 362 is the bell size the 358 is the inside case diameter. Look at his listings and you can figure out the rest.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...ory/expanders/.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

With the exception of straight-wall cases for my single-shot rifles, I usually order my NOE neck expander diameters .001 UNDER the finished diameter of my boolits (after sizing).

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The big advantage of the NOE sizing method is that once you have the basic parts, the individual sizing plugs aren’t very expensive. I have a number of sizes for each of my calibers. I would suggest going up from the jacketed bullet size to max size of the boolits, when they come out of the mold and larger if you powder coat. I have sometimes experienced a little bit of spring back after sizing. If you are worried about your budget, maybe get every other diameter. Don’t forget to get the correct size push rods for the diameter.

Boolit Master

For really soft, pure Lead, hollow base bullets, I want the case ID to be the same as the OD of the bullet, down to where the base of the bullet will be, but no further. I believe it is necessary to use an expander .002" over bullet diameter.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    The big advantage of the NOE sizing method is that once you have the basic parts, the individual sizing plugs aren’t very expensive. I have a number of sizes for each of my calibers. I would suggest going up from the jacketed bullet size to max size of the boolits, when they come out of the mold and larger if you powder coat. I have sometimes experienced a little bit of spring back after sizing. If you are worried about your budget, maybe get every other diameter. Don’t forget to get the correct size push rods for the diameter.
    I miss read the original question. I was thinking it was about the boolit sizing dies and that’s what I was commenting about.

Boolit Buddy
    on these plugs , go with the larger # on the plug & get the one that is .001 to .002 larger than your sized boolit. Hey will start straighter & neck tension will be good.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tinsnips View Post
    I want to order some expander plugs from Noe but no clue what ones. Here is a list of the sizes of my cast boollits. 38/357 sized to .358, 45 sized to .452 , 44 mag sized to .430 & .429 , 30-06 sized to .309 & .310 Can someone give a list of expanders I should order. Thank you
    When I going to order expander plugs ... I though I understood what sizes were correct ... but on more than one occasion I have screwed things up .
    I posted on the forum what moulds I had , what size they dropped with my alloy and what sizes I planned to size the boolits to and for what calibers ... and posted what I Thought was the correct size plugs to order .
    Well I had it wrong ... I recieved about 4 responses , one from Al Nelson himself, correcting me and advising what I should order ... They were right and of course ...I wasn't !
    My advice , post on the NOE forum all the details of what you are sizing and for what round and make double sure you order the correct thing ... an Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure ...trust me !

Those little expander plugs are the nicest things to have !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tinsnips View Post
    tinsips, have you ventured into the NOE forms? I too was befuddled and found the descriptions on the NOE site to be less than helpful. Here is a link to a discussion on the topic: http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index....ic,2773.0.html

Also do a youtube search, there is a younger fella on there who lives within a few miles of NOE and he has created some helpful information on NOE's sizing components. (Decided to do a quick search for you, this is the fella: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9waFJCbrt0 ).
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

On the NOE plugs they list two numbers. One is larger than the other. The smaller number should, be about .002 less than boolit diameter. The other number will be bigger than boolit number. The larger number will enlarge the case mouth to the size it is.
    With proper adjustment the smaller part goes down in the neck till the larger part enters the case mouth about 1/32 to 1/16 inch. This lets you easily set the boolit into the case mouth straight.
    Using this style expander can help with jacketed bullets.
    I use NOE plugs with a Lee universal expander die body. I have one or two sizes for most of my calibers. One for jacketed, one for cast.
    I like them.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    Thanks everyone for the help I placed my order . Robin