Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision

Thread: I have an almost complete set of Stoegers catalogs.

Boolit Buddy
    South Texas but sometimes it feels like Northern Mexico

I have an almost complete set of Stoegers catalogs.

Hello
    I need to down size some. I have a huge amount of shooting/ reloading/ hunting books. part of that trove is an almost complete set of Stoegers catalogs that go back to 1928. Since I am an accumulator (hoarder) by nature I have never tried to sell - pack - ship etc before. What advice would you offer me?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
    Hello
    I need to down size some. I have a huge amount of shooting/ reloading/ hunting books. part of that trove is an almost complete set of Stoegers catalogs that go back to 1928. Since I am an accumulator (hoarder) by nature I have never tried to sell - pack - ship etc before. What advice would you offer me?
    Your question is one which has plagued me the past several years. I have stacks of Handloader, Rifle, just about every Gun Digest, In Fisherman magazine, and on and on... Part of me says I paid good money for them, and to whom do I "owe" "selling" them for pennies on the dollar? On the other hand, the money was already spent -- similar to the restaurant dinner meal -- so, what's the difference vis what wasn't digested getting flushed down toilet -- or, in the case of our publications -- passed on?
    A troubling note to me is that in any and every sale, USPS or UPS or FedEx always come out a winner, as does any lawyer in any case (s)he's handled! With the principal -- you or me -- getting what may be left...
    I'm thinking of posting a WTS on this site, asking for postage in full plus a reasonable offer. This not forthcoming, my #2 would be a Craigslist or Facebook Market listing. Nothing from these? Well, the paper is recyclable -- so at least in my locale there would be no more costs than the monthly fee imposed by Village for once each two-week pickup.
    (Should you come up with a better plan, let me know? )
    geo

Boolit Master
    One of the things you can do is to scan those books and magazines before you pass them on, or throw them out. Wish I'd had that option in 1987. I had to have the mobile home I'd just put on my land that I was now losing two years before. And when I asked the guy who was moving it where to put all the boxes of magazines he said right at the front of the mobile home. It tore the tow bar right off the trailer. SWMBO insisted I get rid of them, and I couldn't argue, since it cost me $500 to have the thing welded back on so we could continue the move. I had all the American Rifleman and Guns and Ammo and every other gun magazine I could lay hands on back to the early 1950's. And then I didn't have them any more.

I am not a hoarder. I do have a large portion of Packrat ancestry, however.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies! Some of the old catalogs and gun digests are quite fascinating. I just hate to trash them. oh well I don't have time to pack mail and ship any way. I know that occasionally the library has a book sale. I wonder if I gave them to the Library if they would find a home rather in the land fill.

late reply to old thread - there is a collectors market for Gun Digests - will be putting mine on auction block along with books + magazines - check with nearest in house auctions that handle firearms -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy
    Thank You.