WidenersLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Ramshot Big Game powder

Boolit Mold

Ramshot Big Game powder

Has anybody been using Ramshot Big game powder in 30.06 with 165gr btsp boolits?
    Hornady list 58.3 gr as max and hogdon lists 54.0 gr as max. I did some latter tests with it
    And I'm up around 59.5gr and just starting to see a little flattening of the primers. Velocity is 2960 avg for 4 shots. Had good groups with 165gr interlocks with 57.5gr velocity was 2830 avg If I remeber correctly. Then I switched to speer 165gr btsp and loaded up from 57.5gr to 59.5 gr from the hornady to the speer the groups moved up around 8 inches.
    I'm not seeing and hard bolt lifts or ejector marks and no catering around primer strike.
    Rifle is a brand new 22" xbolt in maple. Just wondering if anybody else is using this powder
    And where they are at with it. I tried AA- 4350 very good acurracy but only getting 2700 fps with the 165's

Moderator Emeritus

I ran out of IMR 4064 and went to using it in the 308 with 165 gr bullets. I got 1 3/4 lbs in a swap a while back. Accuracy was good but I didn't deviate from the new Western Powders book. I am really surprised to see that large of a group movement with only changing brands of bullets. I find a 2" movement rare with the same weight different brand, though I try to keep bearing surfaces similar when buying bullets.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Mold
    Thanka for your input. The Ramshot powders are the only thing I have been able to get with out paying Gunbroker prices. I have found the same thing with Ramshot hunter in the 270win you can really go quite a bit over book max. But it has me nervous what a safe load seems to be and all the sudden blown primer or worse. I would guess the bearing surface between the Hornady and Speer 165gr Bullets would be close but I guess I should actually compare them. It had me a little surprised at the amount of impact shift as well. Anyway I think they make good powder just haven't seen the reloading information from 1 source to the next be so far apart. I was thinking maybe they were taking in account of older Springfield and other military rifles that won't hold as much pressure. But I don't know.