RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two old friends going down the road

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jakharath View Post
    That being said, if I was in a line of work where there might be a gunfight, I'd want something that held more rounds. And that something wouldn't be a 2011 (double stack 1911). They feel wrong.
    Most 2011's feel like garbage as they came. Para-Ord, STI, Caspian, etc. The plastic grips are flimsy, soft, thin and not well shaped. If you get the chance to put hands on one with an aluminum or steel grip.... If you look up "world of difference", it would be a picture of this! Phoenix Trinity and Cheely Custom make a fantastic grips. I have a PT w/ non grip safety, and love it. Kinda puts the CZ/Tanfo kink in the web area.
    I would never carry one though.

My last 1911 was a Sig, stainless Nitron in .45, nice gun but sold. I prefer the external extractor like this, S&W has.

Looking to buy another 1911 in 9mm before long.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Sad to see them ride into the sunset...

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCorkle View Post
    Sad to see them ride into the sunset...

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
    Yes, but they are going to a good home. The guy buying them is a friend, and if I ever get the urge, he will bring them to my place and I can shoot them. He cannot shoot them at his place as he lives too close to town. I am in the middle of a state forest.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Don does your old Team Match have the external extractor? Just curious, I have a TM II that does and I wish it did not because those extractors are hard to come by.
    Mine has the outside and lays the brass in the same place with the correct spring for the load. $750 out the door I had to have it.

Boolit Master

My experience was if you aim carefully, the 1911 will hit what you are aiming at. My glock, its a 21, hits whatever I point it at. It just feels more natural in my hand. but I still love them both.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

I don't own either one, but I love to watch the fur fly!
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Yes, but they are going to a good home. The guy buying them is a friend, and if I ever get the urge, he will bring them to my place and I can shoot them. He cannot shoot them at his place as he lives too close to town. I am in the middle of a state forest.
    I always thought a gun being shot is way better than one sitting in the safe. I never had the urge for a wallhanger, and anything sitting in a safe makes me sad. Even better if they go to someone you know will enjoy them.

Boolit Master

Interesting thread with varying points of view. I've got two 1911's(latest Dan Wesson ECP), two 2011's(just found out that referred to-Para types) and Glock 19 & 21. The Glocks are what would be referred to as 1st gen. Not looking to get rid of any.

The Glock 21 is kept in a handy place in the house. Not a carry gun by any stretch.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by Jim22 View Post
    I have owned someething like 10 1911's. Everything from a WWII Remington Rand rattler to a Gold Cup. None fed hollow points reliably. Some weren't even reliable with ball. I own none now. I bought a Glock 22 in the early 90's - first gen. Later a 27. Never had a malfunction and I taught handgun self protection for six years. I tried a Kahr but didn't like the trigger.

FWIW,

Jim
    I always wondered about this; I have heard multiple stories about high end 1911s that did not reliably feed ammunition.
    The first foray I had into 1911s was one I built on an Essex frame. (don't laugh) It has a slide marked FABRICA DE ITAJITBA - BRASIL on one side.
    On the other side,EXERCITO BRASILEIRO
    I used the cheapest parts I could find, back then I had little money to play with.
    I followed the instructions in Hallock's .45 Auto Handbook.
    That gun will reliably feed empty cases.

Boolit Master
    Not counting numerous service 1911's I've shot three a lot. Father-in-law's Gold Cup, my 1911 (from my father) that was reworked by a local gunsmith for carry duty, and my wife's Lite Commander. The Gold Cup was touchy about feeding. It liked round nose and some HPs (like Silvertips). SWC's would jam. Mine would feed almost anything, even in original form. The wife's Commander is the same and it is the only 1911 we have now. I owned a Springfield XD for a while but I rarely shot it so it went down the road.

I wish I could like a Glock. The grips felt like 2x4's to me (and I have large hands). One of these days I may get one and force myself to shoot it a lot to get used to it. Haven't tried one for a while so maybe it is time

Boolit Master
    The Glock's light weight, reliability, and high capacity are hard to argue against. The 1911 has history and tradition going for it though and those are compelling. I have been proficient with both but would choose the glock in an emergency.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Interesting thread with varying points of view. I've got two 1911's(latest Dan Wesson ECP), two 2011's(just found out that referred to-Para types) and Glock 19 & 21. The Glocks are what would be referred to as 1st gen. Not looking to get rid of any.

The Glock 21 is kept in a handy place in the house. Not a carry gun by any stretch.
    Probably not and for sure not.

The Gen 1 19 are very far and few between, to the point of the guys that have them (and know what they have) have turned down $25,000. Quite the collectors market these days for Glocks.

No such thing as a Gen 1 21. Earliest was the Gen 2. Great guns.
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Probably not and for sure not.

The Gen 1 19 are very far and few between, to the point of the guys that have them (and know what they have) have turned down $25,000. Quite the collectors market these days for Glocks.

No such thing as a Gen 1 21. Earliest was the Gen 2. Great guns.
    I was guessing based on when I acquired them. I may be wrong on both. The Glock 19 was Jan. 1994 and the Glock 21 was Sept.1994. The fact that Gen 1 19's are collectors items makes me suspect that mine is later.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

You are correct John. I bought my first 19 in late '88. It's a common misconception, easy to do.
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Buddy
    I had a G36 many years back. This was during my love affair with the 1911 pistol. I am extremely sorry to think back about trading that 36 off, it was the perfect carry .45 for me, modded to work better without the finger rests, and was way more accurate than any 1911 I had owned up to that point. I added a few Pearce mag extensions, and LOVED it even more when shooting. It ate every type of bullet that I could throw at it, and never choked......only time I could get it to stop was limp wristing to point of almost losing the gun during recoil.

There aren't too many handguns that I regret trading/selling off, but that one is top of the list for me.

Young and dumb back then. I worried more about what the ragazines were selling as the "bestest/fastest/needed mostest" and followed suit...... I now worry more about what the tool does for ME than what someone else has to say about the next shiny object coming across the counter. If it works, keep it. If you have better tools in the chest, sell it to someone who needs it.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Boolit Master

I still do not comprehend the Glock vs. 1911 debate.

They're the two top combat automatics of history.

It's the vast pile of "EVERYTHING ELSE" that's junk!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    I still do not comprehend the Glock vs. 1911 debate.

They're the two top combat automatics of history.

It's the vast pile of "EVERYTHING ELSE" that's junk!
    Glocks are police weapons, not military, but I'm splitting hairs. I've a couple 1911s in 9mm and a g17, and I like the 1911s way more than the glock, but the glock will eat anything. and hold twice the rounds. I actually like my plastic walther PPQ way more than the glock. 19 rounds with slight extended mag, and a way better trigger than any stock glock. But I'm not selling the 1911s..

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Well if you don't shoot in competitions, hunt with handguns, and don't shoot a lot of large primer stuff, then sure, I can get behind that. I think you should try a modern non-1911 type gun before writing off the 45 acp completely though. A FN FNX 45 with the 15 round magazine is one heck of a machine.
    The so called modern tupperware .45 ACP are boxcar big with all the grace of a gnu. To suggest that they are superior combat weapons is disgusting.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    I'm just a bumpkin who likes 1911's. At one time I certainly thought they were the be all end all of pistols and I've shot lots of them from a Thompson that wouldn't feed ball to a Kimber that would feed rocks. My current specimen is a RIA Gov't Model. Sure it's low on the totem pole as classy top of the line guns go, but it works. It feeds, shoot where I point it and when I'm up to par it will produce some surprising groups. Problem for me these days is my arthritic hands won't take the straight back recoil into the web of my hand anymore. I can barely shoot 25 rounds before I'm done for the day. I've switched to revolvers for range time. For carry I'm totin' a S&W Model 39. I've never gotten the groups out of it I do with my RIA but it's lighter to carry and offers a grip frame that at least feels like I'm holding a pistol. I've also got a S&W SD9VE that will feed rocks but it does good to hold 4" at 10 yards, and that's with the trigger job.

I've shot Glocks, they shoot well but the plastic fantastics lack what one can only called intrinsic quality. Even my cheap old H&R 32 S&W long feels created. The worst 1911 I"ve ever shot, felt created. Every plastic gun I've owned or shot feels "put together". It does not feel as though human beings put any love or effort into it's making. A Thompson 1911 that doesn't shoot leaves me wanting to fix it. An S&W SD9VE that doesn't shoot leaves me wondering why I traded for it.

Boolit Master

Got me a Kimber BP Ten II...kinda an offspring of 1911 & glock, 14 rounds of 45acp in a light frame...sad that it's a series 80 though.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast