WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two old friends going down the road

Boolit Grand Master

Two old friends going down the road

My buddy wants to buy my last two .45 ACP’s. A Kimber Team Match and Kimber Ultra CDP Custom.

Years ago, the Ultra was my carry gun. The Team Match became a range toy once I got the Ultra.

After I got past my gun snob phase, it was evident the Tupperware Glock was a better combat gun. I know many will not agree with that, oh well. Been carrying either the Glock or Kahr for a long time and never wanted to switch back.

One last cleaning and off they go.

Have a few thousand primers to get rid of too.
    Don Verna

“…last two 45 ACP’s” and “better combat gun” gun in one thread on THIS board?

Hope someone else responds before my post is published - I don’t want to get hit by the lightning when it strikes!
    Tony

Boolit Master

Damn Don, you been drinkin 'and itchin' for a fight?

Boolit Master
    I do believe that Anthony B should post his before I offer my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

It’s a joke. Right?

Boolit Grand Master

Well if you don't shoot in competitions, hunt with handguns, and don't shoot a lot of large primer stuff, then sure, I can get behind that. I think you should try a modern non-1911 type gun before writing off the 45 acp completely though. A FN FNX 45 with the 15 round magazine is one heck of a machine.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a third Kimber and two Clark’s. Those left years ago. Kept the last two 1911’s just in case I had seller regret. I did not leave the 1911 platform overnight or without a lot of thought.

I had no love for Glocks until I bought my first. I shoot the 1911 better, but smaller groups are not the only factor in a gun for social work. Some people cannot shoot a Glock but I can.

What tipped the scale for me were two things. The first was taking the Front Sight course. I used the Glock and earned Distinguished rating the first time through. There were three others in the class who achieved that level, and none used 1911’s. The second factor was talking to a guy who does protective work with his wife...they both use Glocks.

In the end, all that matters is using what puts holes into the bad guy as quickly and accurately as possible. For me that is the Glock. YMMV.

BTW, our favorite fun CF pistols are S&W 686+ revolvers. We have not shot 1911’s for over 5 years.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

The 1911 can be a great platform, (depending on who made it) but it's day as the top combat pistol is long past. Glocks are hard to beat in that role.

Just the facts ma'am, just the facts.
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    The 1911 can be a great platform, (depending on who made it) but it's day as the top combat pistol is long past. Glocks are hard to beat in that role.

Just the facts ma'am, just the facts.
    I never try to argue with people in situations like dverna because to be completely honest, I think the 1911 was one of John Brownings worst designs. Compared to his rifles and shotguns, especially the auto-5, and machine guns like a BAR (which I consider his best design), or even his later pistol the Hi-Power, the 1911 is not that spectacular. It obviously works well, but from a mechanical/manufacturing point of view it has real faults.

Boolit Master
    Started out shooting S&W revolvers. Still have several but seldom shoot them. My first center fire auto was a Colt Government model. I’ve owned several Colts (nothing else) over the last 40 years but am now down to a single 1970’s vintage Combat Commander. I also own a Glock 19 and Sig P365 which are my main carry guns. I’ve done everything I can to get proficient with the Glock but it just doesn’t work well for me. I tend to push all my shots left unless I have the joint of my trigger finger in the center of the G19’s trigger ( I’ve trained to put the pad there with all other handguns). I have toyed with the ideal of buying a Glock 48 as I believe with it’s thinner grip frame it would be better suited to my ingrained technique. These days my main interest is long range rifle shoot though so I probably will never follow through and buy one.

Boolit Master
    If I sold MY Kimber Team Match I would be down to 13 1911's and that is a bad #.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 01-13-2022 at 10:55 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45DUDE View Post
    If I sold MY Kimber Team Match I would be down to 13 1911's and that is a bad #.
    Now that made me smile. It is a great pistol....but no Clark...lol.
    Don Verna

Dverna is an adult and an experienced shooter. A sd pistol is a very personal choice. Go with what suits you.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Now that made me smile. It is a great pistol....but no Clark...lol.
    Got Clarks also When I first got the Kimber the groups were not good as expected but the more I shot it after about 250 rounds it came around to my liking without throwing fliers. It will shoot 245 lead through 185 grain ball and button nose without a problem. Some guys at the range have Glocks that shoot 21 rounds without a problem. I may get one just for drill but damn they are ugly. Sig looks a lot better.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 01-13-2022 at 11:05 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a 45ACP/1911 guy. 45 ACP - where old fat and slow gets the job done. For personal protection, 9 rounds is enough most of the time. Most self defense shootings average 4 rounds.

That being said, if I was in a line of work where there might be a gunfight, I'd want something that held more rounds. And that something wouldn't be a 2011 (double stack 1911). They feel wrong.

Well, you know, the 1911 is sort of like Glock....but for men.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Don does your old Team Match have the external extractor? Just curious, I have a TM II that does and I wish it did not because those extractors are hard to come by.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Don does your old Team Match have the external extractor? Just curious, I have a TM II that does and I wish it did not because those extractors are hard to come by.
    Yes, mine has the external extractor.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45DUDE View Post
    Got Clarks also When I first got the Kimber the groups were not good as expected but the more I shot it after about 250 rounds it came around to my liking without throwing fliers. It will shoot 245 lead through 185 grain ball and button nose without a problem. Some guys at the range have Glocks that shoot 21 rounds without a problem. I may get one just for drill but damn they are ugly. Sig looks a lot better.
    45Dude,

I had no use for Glocks having come up through Bullseye where 1911's ruled the roost. I had both a .38 and .45 Clark...just amazing accuracy. It would be tough for a Glock to shoot a 20 yard group as small as a Clark at 50 yards.

I bought my first Glock (G22) for ****s and giggles to see what the hype was all about. NEVER expected to switch platforms as I was heavily invested in 1911's. Things I liked about the Glock:

It works
    It is simple.
    It is easy to fix if it does not work.
    It has no safety
    I holds twice the rounds of a 1911. No need to carry a spare mag.
    By buying a 9mm barrel and mags I can switch the G22 from .40 to 9mm in less than 5 minutes. Can do that for .357 Sig but I do not shoot .357 Sig.

I have heard some folks raised on 1911's cannot shoot Glocks well. I did not experience that. Yes, the 1911's I had were higher end and had great triggers, and I shot better with the 1911's but not that much better. Does is really matter if you are putting 2" groups on CM at 10 yards or 3" groups?

If I were you, I would buy an LEO trade-in G22. Add about $100 for a 9mm barrel and some mags and you are set to go to try the platform out without a large investment and you can get all your money out if you do not like it. That will let you try both .40 and 9mm and see what works best for you.

It took me about 500 rounds to get used to the "mushy" Glock trigger. There are aftermarket kits to improve the Glock trigger and for a competition gun that is something to consider. Buy a spare set if you do that. The gentleman who uses his Glock for work told me a sad story. One of his friends put an after market trigger kit into his G22 and it failed during a gun fight. His buddy died when the trigger failed.
    Don Verna

I have owned someething like 10 1911's. Everything from a WWII Remington Rand rattler to a Gold Cup. None fed hollow points reliably. Some weren't even reliable with ball. I own none now. I bought a Glock 22 in the early 90's - first gen. Later a 27. Never had a malfunction and I taught handgun self protection for six years. I tried a Kahr but didn't like the trigger.

FWIW,

Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast