WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Ruger number 1, 3 parts

Boolit Bub

Ruger number 1, 3 parts

Does anybody know if the ejector/extractor are the same in the model #1 and #3.
    I have read that there are only three different ejectors for all the different calibers.
    I would appriciate any intel on this before I call Ruger to inquire. Thanks Jeff

Banned
    I would assume they’re the same as they are the same action.

Boolit Buddy
    Brownells may have those extractors on their website, is costs nothing to look, and there may be some info you can use.

They are not the same, except for ones chambered in .223 Rem.

The #1 extractors are set to extract rimless cartridges; the #3 for rimmed cartridges.

When within those categories, the lengths the extractor tip extends towards the bore C/L varies between cartridges of different case rim diameters.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    What about #1 45-70?

They are spring loaded and floating so it only takes three different sizes to work on pretty much any available case. As an example I am using a 223 one in my 30 Badger rifle, with it's rimmed 38 spl based case. I think my 45-70 one has an extractor from a belted magnum rifle in it. They're pretty versatile.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    They are spring loaded and floating so it only takes three different sizes to work on pretty much any available case. As an example I am using a 223 one in my 30 Badger rifle, with it's rimmed 38 spl based case. I think my 45-70 one has an extractor from a belted magnum rifle in it. They're pretty versatile.
    This is what I have heard. I will call Ruger and see if they can privde part numbers. Thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by magdump View Post
    This is what I have heard. I will call Ruger and see if they can privde part numbers. Thanks to all.
    Check the Brownells website. They used to list the different ones on a blowup drawing.

Boolit Bub
    Check the Brownells website. They used to list the different ones on a blowup drawing.
    10/4

Quote Originally Posted by WALLNUTT View Post
    What about #1 45-70?

Yeah, those, and the #1's chambered in .30-40 Krag, .303 British and .22 Hornet were set up a bit differently than other #1's

Those extractors would work in either a #1 or a #3

(senioritis is starting to get worse, here )

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Bub
    I will call Ruger Monday and see if I can get the info. I will post back when I get an answer.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by magdump View Post
    I will call Ruger Monday and see if I can get the info. I will post back when I get an answer.
    I found out my action was originally barreled for 375 Winchester.
    Ejector P/N's for #3
    SC-125 .223, 22 hornet
    SC-126 45/70
    S-8 375, 30-40 Krag
    I would have to guess on 44 magnum it was not setup in the current system. (probably S-8)
    No parts are available for #3, she suggested Numrich.
    I would guess my action still has the S-8 ejector in it. I don't know for sure because when I bought the action it was disasembled in a ziplock bag.

Number #1 rifles have different P/N than Number #3 rifles The number #1 has a "improved design ejector"
    She did not know if they interchange.
    The way the computer system is set you have to specify cailiber to get P/N for ejector

I have confirmed from another source that there are 3 different extractors for the Number #1
    I still do not know if the number #1 ejector can be "fitted" to the number #3 . When and if I find out for sure I will order a number #1 ejector for the caliber I decide on. I did not bother to get the P/N for them. The call was already long by then. So does anybody "really" know if the parts will interchange?

BTW Brownells has no infomation that I could find on there website. I have already hit all the usual places. I really just need to know if the #1 will work in the nuumber #3. I guess I could just order all 3 and be done with it. If it works it works, if not out some cash. Ruger could not give me an answer to that question.
    Last edited by magdump; 01-19-2022 at 08:59 AM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    I have had better luck with Gunpartscorp than Ruger for parts for a Ruger single shot. Gun Parts has blow up drawings and a selection based upon each different rifle. When I phoned Ruger I got a nice lady who sent me the wrong part. I was looking for another quarter rib scope mount for a #1 so I could put a scout scope on my .358. She sent me the newer two-piece mount. I needed to mic the barrel to get the mount that would fit.

Jim

I dunno. They do have different part numbers for #1 and #3 ejectors but after working on plenty of them for the last 20 years I have not seen any difference between the two. I have a big box of them at the shop and just use whatever one fits the rim of the desired case the best. Usually I'll just trade one for another if somebody is getting a rebarrel job to a much larger or smaller case. Sometimes when the one I want isn't available I'll cut one down or weld one up to reshape.

Boolit Bub
    I am going to let this ride for a while, see if we get any other opinions. I am not in a hurry Ihave plenty of projects.

Boolit Bub
    I dunno. They do have different part numbers for #1 and #3 ejectors but after working on plenty of them for the last 20 years I have not seen any difference between the two. I have a big box of them at the shop and just use whatever one fits the rim of the desired case the best. Usually I'll just trade one for another if somebody is getting a rebarrel job to a much larger or smaller case. Sometimes when the one I want isn't available I'll cut one down or weld one up to reshape.
    Shoutout to Nobade for helping me out on this situation. Solid individual. Thanks Andy.