Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Top Punch Selection

Top Punch Selection

I recently purchased several .358 NEI bullet molds and I need to get top punches for them. Is there an online document that shows the recommended punches?

Moderator Emeritus

Top punches that fit can be quite the challenge. You may wish to do a search on this site re several approaches -- most working super well -- to, well, "make your own". I have made them with Thermogrip Hot Glue; and, with Dev-con 2-part epoxy! My method was to use a top punch I have a duplicate or triplicate of, generously grease it so the hot glue or epoxy does not stay forever, put it in the lubsizer with the most perfect of your cast bullets (which also has a full coating of lub!), and let it cool or set -- depending. As I wrote, if you do a search on this site you'll surely be able to get details from (unlike me ) the pro's!
    I have, too, with limited (mostly positive) success spent a bit of time just trying to match a top punch at hand with a newly cast boolit. I do not know your resources -- e.g., how many you may have to so try... so, again, look into the hot glue &/or epoxy solution?
    (Another I did not cite -- again not knowing what you have -- is the use of Magma Star type lubsizers --another one of their many beauties is you size and lub downwards -- NO top punch needed. I put this in parantheses... just in case. This may open -- in future -- another chapter in your casting life )
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    Assuming (really dislike that word) you have a Lyman or RCBS lubrisizer, my solution is even easier than George's.

Get a one inch long section of ¼" rod, it can be cut from the non threaded portion of a bolt if nothing else is at hand, and start sizing.

If it deforms the meplat, then go the extra steps to make a form fitting top punch. Mine hasn't even marked .30 cal RN rifle boolits, composed of ACWW.

Robert

Thanks for the replies. I do have a Lyman 450, I just got it from a friend who is no longer casting.

Boolit Master
    I just ordered one from NOE for my Lee 459-500. This is a pointy boolit and noe makes a couple molds that have similar nose profiles so i took a guess. My flat punches were too long and they would have flattened the point for sure.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Look at Lyman and RCBS mold charts.
    They'll list their top punches and both will work on your press.
    Find ones the more or less fit the nose of your mold's design.
    If they don't work as is, then you can tweak them a little with epoxy.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

All the top punch has to do is center the boolet in the die. Any cup point will do. It doesn't have to match the boolet nose. It just has to drive it concentrically through the die.

Thanks! I just sized a bunch of my NEI 166s using a Lyman 495 and it worked great.

Boolit Grand Master

Remember ... any boolit with a flat spot on the nose , WC , SWC , RF , TC etc... can be seated with a simple flat nose punch . Make one from a flat bolt or as I do ...fill a seldom used punch with epoxy putty , let harden and sand dead flat .
    Most of the charts ...are hit-or-miss ...most don't fit exactly unless the mould is Lyman and the top punch is Lyman . NEI and NOE and all the other mould makers aren't bound by Lyman to match their nose punches . If you get a punch that is close ...but not exact ... custom fit the boolit to the punch with epoxy putty ...do the fitting in the sizer , set it up and place a small ball of epoxy putty inside the clean nose cavity , alaign a case with a greased boolit started and gently press down to get the boolit started straight into the case , make sure everything is lined up , straight and level ...when all looks right , let it cure . When done ...you will have a perfectly fitted nose punch .
    You can use epoxy glue but be careful ...glue can run down and get in places you don't want it
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    fitting a top punch to the bullet nose is one of the eaiser DYI projects for bullet casters.