RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: Got a new left hip in Monday, home on Tuesday, doing great today!!

Boolit Master

Got a new left hip in Monday, home on Tuesday, doing great today!!

I had posted on here in the past, about having 4 hip surgeries due to infection and a botched job by the first doc on the same hip and having 3 strokes between #2 &#3 surgeries, in one day. That left my right leg pretty well paralyzed, and my hand comes and goes. I had worn my left hip out in the last 3 years having to put my weight on it all the time. It got to where I could not put any weight on it without it coming out of place. I could not get a hip replacement, due to high infection/inflamation levels from having MRSA and another deadly infection in the joint the the first 2 surgeries.After much prayer this fall, I finally said, Lord if this is my cross to bear so be it. I lived in constant agony, 24 hours a day. About 2 months ago I had a follow up with the infectious disease doc, who after reading my blood work, was astounded. My infection/inflamation levels had dropped from 110/113 to under 10/10!! He double checked them, and made an appt for my surgeon. I got the new left hip put in Monday, and was up walking 4 hours later, limited. I was discharged from the hospital after walking 50 feet 3x yesterday. Today I am a little sore, but able to stand without crutches, and walk with my walker. I am so thankful for all the prayers sent on here as well as at home. God does everything on his time schedule, not ours.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Praise God!!! that is Glorious News!!!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Good deal. Had my left put in Aug 23. Was home next day. Got a matched set of titanium hips now.
    If it doesn't shoot an ounce of lead, its a wimp load.

Boolit Grand Master

Thats great news! Hope everything continues to go well.

Take it easy on those metal things. I've a guy that had both replace last year and broke one in about 6 weeks. Had to go back in and get it replaced,.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Take it easy on those metal things. I've a guy that had both replace last year and broke one in about 6 weeks. Had to go back in and get it replaced,.
    I think I need to count myself both lucky and Blessed. I had the right hip done in 2009, when I was 54, and the left in 2014, when I was 59. First one was 4.5lbs of chrome moly steel, HDPE, and a zirconia ceramic ball. Second was smaller and lighter, and they used the new surgery where they cut in from the front of the hip, and just push the muscle and connective tissue to the side. First one, they cut through the center of the gluteus maximus, and that one took over a year to heal all the way. Second one, I was back at work with no restrictions in 8 weeks, and I was up and walking more than the minimum they required for both. Both docs said I was quite a bit younger than their normal patients, but the head of femur was worn quite flat and was also quite painful in both cases. I woke up from both surgeries feeling better and less pain that before I went to sleep.

Take care of yourselves, and follow the doc's instructions, do the therapy, and I hope and pray you all get well quick!

Bill

Boolit Master
    That's awesome you are doing so well. You deserve a break after being in pain so long

Moderator Emeritus

Great news and congrats!

Awesome news Kroger! Thanks for sharing.

Boolit Master
    Glad to hear it! Your latest hunting stories were a treat and to see you were doing so much. Hope are high to hear even better stories this next season!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Welcome to the club. I had both of mine as soon as it was evident that I would need to in the future. I forget I even have them now, until I walk through a metal detector.

Boolit Master

This is great news, Koger! Here's to a full and speedy recovery.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Great news! PTL! Thank you for sharing something positive!
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

That's great news! I hope to hear of the crutches and walker " hanging in the barn"" soon. God bless.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Had right hip replaced Dec 2020, arthritis from long ago horse wreck. Hip pain had ruined my 2020 hunting seasons. Used walker about 3-4 weeks then cane a couple weeks while taking physical therapy. Took about 3-4 months for good recovery and walking ability. Very happy and back to full function wandering around the high country hunting elk. The more you use it, the better it will feel. Just keep moving. Still a little stiff getting into kneeling and sitting shooting positions but I can walk through 15 inches of snow four at least a mile or so without pain. Titanium, ceramic and cross-linked poly in the new joint, Doc said it should last the rest of my life, I'm 72, hope I wear it out.
    Last edited by MostlyLeverGuns; 01-18-2022 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Wife said I was 72 not 71

That's good news!
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master
    I feel your pain.
    Wife changed out both hips 2019. As soon as the incision was dry, into the pool she went to build up walking muscles; one hip was still locked and was done a month later. She had been in a wheelchair for years, and forgot how to walk. With both hips done we had to wait a month for the second femur to heal because that was the pinned/broken one, so it was pool therapy that got her walking.

I was amazed the first hip took 40 minutes, with an overnight stay.
    The broken/pinned hip took 90 minutes, stayed three nights.
    Tucson Orthopedic Institute does a dozen hips every Monday.
    They get both legs within a millimeter of the same length.
    That's why they call it a "practice".
    All prayers to get you healed!

"Lord don't let me fall. For anything." Amen

Boolit Master
    Kinda makes you wonder why people struggle with them messed up, had mine resurfaced about 10yrs ago (birmingham joint) talked to lots of people afterwards, none believe the difference, until they get theirs done then they say to me if "I had only known". Congrats, now get on with life, ya go round once ya know!!

Boolit Grand Master
    God bless. Happy to hear your good news.

The great metal in body society, just keeps getting bigger and bigger…. Follow the rehab and get out and walk, walk, walk. Good on you for getting past the MRSA, that is a high hill.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers