Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox

Thread: Roll Crimp

Boolit Master

Roll Crimp

Whether you measure from the top of a slug or the bingo chip on top of the shot how much hull would you consider too much to roll? Would .300 be too much or .250 or .200. I'm curious, I rolled .250 and .210 and .180 today and the last one .180 was close to not enough. This with a group of Remington 2 3/4 hulls that had been roll crimped from the factory with a slug.

Boolit Master
    I roll about .250 using the tool I got from BPI. It seems to yield plenty of “lock” against the card. Less will work but the shells feel too loose to me.

Boolit Bub
    Reloading over here in England using top card and roll crimp 1/4" is about right from the top of the card to the top of the case before rolling , When i get home i will measure some original factory Eley 2 inch and see what they made them as.

Boolit Master
    Thanks both of you. I'm thinking 1/4 inch works. It's interesting how the different makers plastic reacts to roll crimp.

Boolit Bub
    I measured some factory Eley cartridges and from the surface of the card to the top of the roll crimp i measured .201 / .160 / .158 /.162 . /.160 / .170.

Boolit Master
    Interesting. I shot all 3 of the lengths I talked about. .180 was not good with the components I used. The other 2 functioned and shot good.

Boolit Master

Ultimately I think it will really depend on your roll crimp head.

I have two different types, see attached pictures. The second pic allows for a deeper roll crimp than the other three.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181129_144524.jpg   20181211_083817.jpg  
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

The Roll Crimp on the Brenneke Slugs I have is easily 1/2" plus deep.

I have done ones that are that deep myself. in the pic below with 4 shells I had cut one each of the Brenneke and Lightfield's apart to see what was in them. Both factory rounds were loaded in common Rio Hulls which I had on hand.

The Brenneke Factory Roll Crimp was done with a Radiused tool and my reloaded Brenneke was done with a BPI tool. I now use the same tool Brenneke uses.

You can see thru the hulls that both crimps are 1/2"+ deep.

The beauty of Roll Crimping is that it can go as deep or shallow as you need to go to get a solid payload that doesn't rattle around. I check every round I roll crimp to make sure that the slug is tight and doesn't rattle around. This promotes consistent ignition, which in turn promotes accuracy.

The 2 rounds in the center photo were STI Slugs I loaded using a BPI tool..

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2245 (2).jpg   100464911.JPG   100464907.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by andy h View Post
    I measured some factory Eley cartridges and from the surface of the card to the top of the roll crimp i measured .201 / .160 / .158 /.162 . /.160 / .170.
    These dimensions have been taken after roll crimp not card to the top of unrolled case.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

The beauty of Roll Crimping is that it can go as deep or shallow as you need to go to get a solid payload that doesn't rattle around. I check every round I roll crimp to make sure that the slug is tight and doesn't rattle around. This promotes consistent ignition, which in turn promotes accuracy.

Randy
    I do the same and generally squeeze hard while crimping. Need to squeeze defines my crimp length - I load slugs long, just short enough to cycle from magazine tubes. Usually very close to CIP standards.