Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nylon 66 Cleaning?

Boolit Master
    Texas, does the scope hold zero well ? I have owned several over the years but never had any luck holding to POA. It would zero but change if shot a bit. I always blamed the thin sheet metal cover.

I wish I had kept one, they were tough, reliable and I loved the sights. Last one I bought in the early 80's, still have the box. I gave it to my Daughter and it was stolen. The prices on a nice used one's are crazy.

Boolit Buddy
    My first firearm was a Nylon 66. I am baffled by the consternation expressed over disassembly. I clean mine as often as I would clean any weapon--after firing. I have owned it most of my life, and to date the rifle shows no signs of wear from excessive cleaning. I remove everything shown in the Dutchman's photo except the striker assembly (between the receiver cover and the receiver cover screws in the photo) This requires a screwdriver; preferably two: one sized to fit the receiver cover screws and one sized to fit the barrel retaining collar screw, and takes perhaps two minutes. The only problem I ever had was when I ignored the instructions to cock the rifle before disassembly. But even as a dumb teenager I eventually figured out how to cock the striker whose forward position inhibited reassembly, even though the rifle was in pieces.

Having said that, the previous anecdotes of grossly neglected Nylon 66s continuing to function underscore the weapon's reputation for reliability. I don't understand the rationale for neglecting the rifle, but it's your Nylon 66 and you should do whatever you sweet please with it.

Beemer, I always used iron sights on my 66's, so I'll have to let you know. I always got tired of the scope and removed it in the past. Ive been told that the front ring must abut the chamber end of the dovetail.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Didn't Remington have an ad one time, using a Nylon 66 to shoot wooden blocks thrown in the air? Thinking it was either 10,000 shots or maybe 100,000 shots without a breakdown and IIRC, 6 misses

In 1959, Remington's Tom Frye broke a world record by shooting at 100,010 hand-thrown 2-1/2" wood blocks, 8-10 hours/day for 15 days straight, hitting 100,004 of them.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Beemer, I always used iron sights on my 66's, so I'll have to let you know. I always got tired of the scope and removed it in the past. Ive been told that the front ring must abut the chamber end of the dovetail.

This mirrors my experience. As a youth I tried a 4x scope but found it slowed target acquisition and impeded the natural smooth handling of the rifle. Nylon 66 iron sights are exceptional in that they are similar to modern pistol sights rather than the traditional buckhorn rear and miniscule bead common to many .22 rifles of that era. I am not fond of the white front post, but that is what nail polish is fer.

My only complaint about the weapon was lack of sling swivels. As a kid I tied a leather thong around the pistol grip and duct taped another to the forearm. Aesthetic it wasn't, but it served the purpose. The nylon stock can be drilled for swivels, but rather than alter the weapon, I upgraded my youthful Rube Goldberg solution.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0964.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	303542Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0965.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	303543

Alas, I no longer have a Nylon, but kept/use my Cordua-Nylon solution for most of my other guns that I want to leave as-issued.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

This is 7 shots at 40yds with Dad's Nylon 66 using 40 gr Aguila Super.
    One inch to the left. I'll wait a week and see if it shifts. If it does, the $5 scope isn't above suspicion....

Boolit Bub
    I've bought several of these over the years. My first was a Seneca Green model. I bought it from the Western Auto back when I was 12. That was 1974. It's still sitting in the box. He'd had it in his stock room since the 60's. Nobody wanted it. I cleaned out that stock room for it. I never shot it.

My next one was a Bicentennial edition in 1976. It's still in it's box, unfired.

My go to is a Mohawk Brown. I picked it up in 1978. I've run countless rounds through it. Had to replace the extractor once. Remington sent it to me free of charge. That rifle was new when I bought it. It gets a thorough cleaning after every field run. But that was just how I was raised. You NEVER put up a dirty gun or a wet horse. You cleaned the gun, rubbed down the horse. No exceptions. Anything less would result in a somewhat invigorating application of a hand plaited rawhide lariat rope to your Fourth Point Of Contact. It makes sense to me now.My great grand father fought in Europe in WW1. My grandfathers, both mother and father's side served in WW2. My mother's daddy in the Phillipines, my father's daddy, in France, then in Korea. My father in Vietnam. Myself? Various nasty places I don't care to recall, where people wanted to kill me.

You learn the value of a clean, properly functioning weapon when you need it to go bang everytime you pull the trigger.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a number of .22's but, I have to admit, my least persnickity rifle is the Nylon magazine model. I still haven't found any ammo that thing won't shoot without decent accuracy, even the cheapest, dirtiest foreign ammo made. I bought that rifle in 1983 and it has never been cleaned and runs without a hitch. No doubt about it, one of Remington's very best gun models!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12