Boolit Buddy
    Handsome work, sir!!
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

A classic nicely done.

Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve just got to find some way to get Oregon and visit Val’s House of Fine Firearms! You’re killing me here! Regardless, congratulations on another fine job.

Your Phaithful ‘Phibian Phriend
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I’ve just got to find some way to get Oregon and visit Val’s House of Fine Firearms! You’re killing me here! Regardless, congratulations on another fine job.

Your Phaithful ‘Phibian Phriend
    You're always welcome Charlie! Thanks!

Boolit Mold
    Nicely done!!

Boolit Master

very nice rifle ! did you start with a complete action? I ask as I have an action but not complete. Parts can be had, but I don't have a machine shop. very nice rifle you have

Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    very nice rifle ! did you start with a complete action? I ask as I have an action but not complete. Parts can be had, but I don't have a machine shop. very nice rifle you have
    It was a complete rifle when I originally bought it years ago. So only thing my friend did was fit the new Green Mountain barrel and rechamber it to .40-65 Win. Then gave it back to me and I did the final polishing, and rust bluing. So really not much of a restoration, only a rebarreling.

If you wanted to finish the action, and barrel it too, I'd consider contacting C Sharps and ask to talk with Pat Taylor who runs the shop. Pat has the parts for their Hepburn rifles, and should be able to complete yours and fit a new barrel to it. Then you could get a semi inletted stock set and fit that and end up with a completed Hepburn for likely less than a new one, or an old one?

Boolit Master
    Val,
    The 400 grain Lyman 410663 "Snover" bullet at around 400-410 grains/about 1.4" long shoots well out of the 16 twist 40-65 out to midrange.
    BUT,
    You will get your best accuracy out of a 16 twist 40-65 with bullets No Longer Than 1.325". Even out to 1000yds.
    AND, light recoil . I am loading 74.5 grains Swiss 1.5 under my 371 grain DDEPP bullet and get sub minute groups if I do my part
    beltfed/arnie

Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    Val,
    The 400 grain Lyman 410663 "Snover" bullet at around 400-410 grains/about 1.4" long shoots well out of the 16 twist 40-65 out to midrange.
    BUT,
    You will get your best accuracy out of a 16 twist 40-65 with bullets No Longer Than 1.325". Even out to 1000yds.
    AND, light recoil . I am loading 74.5 grains Swiss 1.5 under my 371 grain DDEPP bullet and get sub minute groups if I do my part
    beltfed/arnie

So far I've tried my Lyman Snover bullet, two different RCBS CSA in 400 and 300 grs., a Saeco 640 370 gr., and another unknown maker's mold that drops around 350 gr. I've loaded both Swiss 1 1/2, and 4198 smokeless loads, with varying charges for the bullet weights.
    All the shooting has been at 200 yds. so far, and for whatever reason the groups are all very close in size regardless of which powder, or bullet weight. I'm averaging 4"-6" groups throughout the different powders and bullet weights. The best right now seems to be that Saeco 370 gr., which has always been my favorite for long range in my Rolling Block with a 34" .40-65 GM barrel. Only difference in the two barrels is the Roller is full round vs. the Hepburn being full octagon. BP or 4198 loads have so far been equally accurate, but we'll see once I've got tests thoroughly wrung out and begin shooting out on our 1000 yd. range which does better as distances get pushed further.

Ya fooled me. When I read 'Hepburn' for some reason I was thinking of Katherine.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim22 View Post
    Ya fooled me. When I read 'Hepburn' for some reason I was thinking of Katherine.

Jim
    Nobody would ever want to change her!!

Gorgeous. I'm jealous
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    Gorgeous. I'm jealous
    Thanks!
    As much as I love my Ballards, the Hepburns have always been an attractive design for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12