Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Cimarron Sharps questions.

Cimarron Sharps questions.

I recently got the Sharps “Down Under” model with octagon 34” barrel. It’s an awesome gun, but I have questions and need some mentoring here. I started casting and hand loading for it and currently use Trapdoor and Lever loads, can I use Ruger #1 loads as well? I would classify myself as a beginner still when it comes to hand loads, and ROOKIE with casting my boolits. Any information is welcome and in advance thank you to my boolits family and mentors.
    The psychologist said I’m normal, and gave me paperwork to prove it.

The action was designed for black powder. Lower pressure smokeless loads will work. Keep the pressure down.

Boolit Master
    I had one, and shot factory loads in it with no issues, my friend who has it now, and another friend who has the same rifle, have both been shooting very good groups, with Unique and Trailboss loads, out to 500yds as far as we have to shoot. We are shooting a 18x24" dinger at 500yds and they manage between 5-7" groups at that distance, with MVA and Lee Shaver Soule type peeps on the rear. That is pretty dang good in my book. Pm me if I can help with load data. Oh, and they are shooting 405 and 550 gr Postell bullets, with little recoil, very tame.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonz View Post
    I recently got the Sharps “Down Under” model with octagon 34” barrel. It’s an awesome gun, but I have questions and need some mentoring here. I started casting and hand loading for it and currently use Trapdoor and Lever loads, can I use Ruger #1 loads as well? I would classify myself as a beginner still when it comes to hand loads, and ROOKIE with casting my boolits. Any information is welcome and in advance thank you to my boolits family and mentors.
    No, you can not shoot Ruger #1 loads in your gun. It wasn’t designed for those pressure levels. IIRC, you’re stuck at around 27,000psi in your gun.

Boolit Master
    You don't need to supersize it trapdoor loads will do anything you can ask of them.

Boolit Master
    Definitely not a Ruger #1 action. The firing pins and corresponding holes are on the large side and can let a primer push back under pressure. Standard loads work great - I had a Shiloh for many years and shot it out to 300-400 yards.

Thanks for the help, I’m not looking to Hot Rod the round, just looking to be safe and punch paper and piggy’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Pedersoli made your rifle, it used to be posted on their web sight, information regarding proof testing their firearms. NSB pretty well nailed it at 27,000 PSI. You won't over load with blackpowder and if you go the smokeless route, any published trapdoor load will be plenty. Enjoy your new rifle, be aware they are like peanuts, you can't stop at one.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Mine was super accurate with Hornady 500 gr jacketed bullets and smokeless. On a bet, I hit a sparrow sitting on a limb about 50 yds away, offhand - all we found was one lonesome feather.

Follow up question, anyone know how much pressure would be added if I used Unique powder and a LRP? So far I’ve taken the advice and have been using Unique with a LPP with success. I have a lot more rifle primers than pistol and finding any as we know is almost impossible.

Boolit Master
    You still will be safe with unique. Iv'e got an old lyman manual from the 60's and it calls for unique in just about every bullet weight in the trapdoor section.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    You still will be safe with unique. Iv'e got an old lyman manual from the 60's and it calls for unique in just about every bullet weight in the trapdoor section.
    Just to be clear on my end, the type of primer (large pistol versus large rifle) won’t make enough of a difference as long as I’m using Unique powder?

Boolit Master
    No you should be fine with either type.

Thank you.

Boolit Master
    I am loading LRP, IMR3031 @ 39 gr, Buffalo 550 gr Postell, Starline Brass. My 76 year old eyes, MVA Long Range Soule on a C Sharps can do about 12" group for 10 rounds @ 500 yards on a good day, bad day group is so tight that you can't see it.