Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: .38-55 question

Boolit Grand Master

.38-55 question

Is there an application for 4064 powder in the .38-55 cartridge? Cast boolits will be in the 235 ~ 250 weight range. I've searched the forum and various sources without success. Anyone with experiences with this combo?

If your rifle is strong enough you can use a 100% load of it under either of those bullets. I shot quite a bit of it through my Browning 1885 highwall with good accuracy and fairly significant velocity, around 1800 fps if I remember correctly.

Boolit Grand Master
    It will be a Win 94 JES conversion. Got any data history or starting load info?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    It will be a Win 94 JES conversion. Got any data history or starting load info?

Thanks
    It's been 30 years since I was playing with that, sorry not much other info. I'd just drop the charge by 10% or so to work up and see what is the most accurate. Can't hurt yourself with the 38-55 and that powder, it's safe with a full case using other powder that is faster like 3031. Wish my computer running Quickload was operational right now so I could give you some numbers but it's kind of sick at the moment.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, Nobade. I just got back on line. Telephone pole down the street caught on fire which put me off line for awhile. Just to be sure I have it, fill the case w/ 4064 'till I reach the bottom of the seated bullet. Measure that load and start 10% below. thanks.

You will have to do some googling. I believe the Ranch Dog Bullet company had some data published that included about every powder imaginable. I had it and deleted it a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Thanks, Nobade. I just got back on line. Telephone pole down the street caught on fire which put me off line for awhile. Just to be sure I have it, fill the case w/ 4064 'till I reach the bottom of the seated bullet. Measure that load and start 10% below. thanks.
    That's it. Let us know what you think. I remember it being very accurate in my rifle.

Boolit Grand Master
    OK. It's not very nice outside right now, so it may be some time.