WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything

Thread: Any primers close to CCI 34?

Any primers close to CCI 34?

I don't suppose there's a cross reference chart or compatibility test for auto loaders out there? I've always used military 34's since they are supposed to be the best for avoiding a slam fire.

Trying to figure out if any of the large rifle primers I have are anywhere close to CCI 34's for use in a DPMS LR308, and a Garand. My supply of 34 is almost gone.

I'm sitting on several other large rifle primers however- some older fed 210M, fed 210, CCI large rifle, and Rem large rifle, and magnum. and a few Winchester LRM.

Boolit Master
    Midway has been getting CCI34 and CCI 41 sporadically. They are running $95.99/1000. I've been checking every morning.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Boolit Master
    When I still had a Garand used CCI LR without issue. If using a ball powder might want to consider LR magnum primer. If you get a slam fire the usual suspect is a high primer, although an out of spec firing pin could contribute to the danger. Load and eject live rounds and look for any sign of a hit on ther primer, there should be none. If you find marks strip and inspect or have a qualified M1 armorer check it. Not familiar with the DPMS action but hopefully someone familiar with them will chime in. There is a good bit of info on the CMP Forum about this.

Boolit Master
    I have used WLR and WLRM in my Garand without issue.
    Hick: Iron sights!

CCI 200 have a long history in my rifles and most of the other shooters in our clubs competitions of being fine in a Garand.

like others, i have used many 1000's of CCI LR primers in garands and all the other semis i load for including ar10s, m1a, fals and a saiga 308

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by anothernewb View Post
    I don't suppose there's a cross reference chart or compatibility test for auto loaders out there? I've always used military 34's since they are supposed to be the best for avoiding a slam fire.

Trying to figure out if any of the large rifle primers I have are anywhere close to CCI 34's for use in a DPMS LR308, and a Garand. My supply of 34 is almost gone.

I'm sitting on several other large rifle primers however- some older fed 210M, fed 210, CCI large rifle, and Rem large rifle, and magnum. and a few Winchester LRM.

Since -- 15-20 years back??? -- a range buddy lost a gorgeous M1 to a slam fire (or, ???) -- I've been an exclusive user of the CCI 34 and 43 (in carbine) primers. That said, about ten others all use CCI Large Rifle primers -- as I had prior to my learning of the CCI34s -- with nary a problem. We're talking thousands of rounds! (But, it takes but one -- why I use the 34s).
    Anyhoos -- not to badmouth any brand -- sages at the ranges all seem to be in concert that while Federal brand primers are hard to beat in their fine-tuned competition pistols, this brand should be avoided at all costs in Garand loading. What they profess!
    geo

Boolit Master
    Brownells has CCI military primers in stock right now but it's $105/1,000 Before Shipping and I bought the regular primers from PV for $75 instead.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I worked at an LGS when the #34's came out, about 30 yrs ago. I called CCI to find out about them and was told by a tech there that #34's were a LR mag primer with an anvil a couple thousandths shorter legs, to be less sensitive in an autoloader. So from a user standpoint I'd suspect he CCI LR mags would give the same performance.

Check rounds after seating primers to below flush on the case head, that should be more than adequate.

Thanks for the feedback. expanding my options to the CCI 200 and the Win LRM, and just watch the seating depth closer. That leaves me with another 2500 primers to use. That'll conceivably take me out 2 more years at the rate I use the AR10and Garand. I'll save the fed 210m for the bolt action.

Hopefully something breaks by then. Otherwise I'm likely to look back at today and slap myself for not jumping on the ones at brownells when I had the chance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 30calflash View Post
    I worked at an LGS when the #34's came out, about 30 yrs ago. I called CCI to find out about them and was told by a tech there that #34's were a LR mag primer with an anvil a couple thousandths shorter legs, to be less sensitive in an autoloader.
    Thanks for that Info! So it's $30 extra for tailoring.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Federal primers are softer. I had a round go off in an M1A when I tossed one down the chamber and let the bolt fly. I don't think it was high primer, I always run my finger across the head and check for that. The bolt must've been locked, the hammer didn't fall, but I about shot the tire on my car! They were BR primers.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Super Moderator

I've used CCI LR and Winchester WLR with zero problems in both my Garand and M1A. In fact, I'd just use whatever I had on hand. Just don't seat them proud and you are good to go.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I've used CCI LR and Winchester WLR with zero problems in both my Garand and M1A. In fact, I'd just use whatever I had on hand. Just don't seat them proud and you are good to go.

I use a Sinclair primer pocket uniformed to make the pocket depths properly deep. It is also the best thing to clean pockets of carbon crud which effectively shortens the pocket by reloading over it without removing. My firm .260 load experimentation/ load development also showed a uniformed pocket get pushed out around the flash hole a bit at times, showing as more fresh brass when I clean the pockets with the uniformed. Brass is deformable under pressure.

Boolit Master
    I only had one m14 blow out a bolt on me to forever make me use the mil spec primers to reload semi auto rifle loads.
    Also for high pressure pistol loads such as 9mm,10 mm and .40 cal.
    The .25, 32, and .45 act, I trust loading the regular primers.
    The .44 mag auto and other hi-pressure rounds also need the mil spec primers.
    The MO. Highway patrol that reload their practice reloads using milspec primers in their .40 cal Glocks .
    That is ,the patrolmen I know that reload.
    Also the FBI men that reload for their 9mms.
    The harder primer is just a needed safety measure for your own safety as well as others.
    Just chambering a round that pops out of battery is all it takes.
    Think about it.

Super Moderator

............ It was probably, 15 or more years back I bought 30K "PMC" LRP's. Now having been around reloading for close to 55 years that "PMC" moniker has been bandied about for quite some time. I always thought it stood for "Pan Metal Corporation" from the Philippines? I bought my first Garand during the early importations from there. I went to the range EVERY Tuesday to shoot with a couple other regulars. There were generally 3-5 in the gang. We'd have what we called, the "Burrito Invitational". We all cast, we all reloaded, we all like the same flavor of shooting irons. At lunch we'd call in an order to a Mexican place a couple miles away and a couple of us would go pick it up. As a consequence, we called our shindig, "The Burrito Invitational". I used to post the weekly carnival results here on the board.

In 1992, I bought a Garand from an outfit in Prescott, AZ. It was, and IS a dandy. A BUNCH of folks had bought Garands from a local outfit called Turners. So when they picked them up they bought a BUNCH of PMC 30-'06 ammo. Shot it up and left it drifted up around the front of the benches like snow. Naturally I scarfed it up then, and at each weekly trip. PLUS, Kenny the rangemaster would gather it up for me on other days.

So, some while later (2004) there was an offer (from whom I don't recall) that if you bought 5 sleeves (25K primers) of PMC LR primers, they'd pay the HAZ MAT fee. So I did. I was surprised and somewhat dismayed to discover that NOW (then) they were made in Russia. Lot number 04-04. Other side of the box said: Eldorado Cartridge Corp Boulder City, NV pmcammo.com I was a bit concerned about the quality and posted about it. I believe that it was either Bruce Drake, or Larry Gibson (Here on the board) who'd said that they had found great favor with a couple military shooting teams, or civilian outfits shooting on military bases (Sorry, it's been 16 years). So I loaded up 100 rounds and took them to the range for use in my M1 Garand. Worked like a champ.

Then in 2019 another outfit Graf's, Midway, Powder Valley, whomever had a deal on LRP's. So a couple buddies and I ordered some. These were also made across the Atlantic Ocean In Bosnia and Herzegovina, by Unis "Ginex" Gorazade (and there is an "Umlaut" over the 'Z'). The box is marked "Primers, Cap Type, UN0044, 1.4S 1000 pcs, Primer 5,5/3-N-P1, for 7.62mm LOT NO 1716 . I do not recall now what they cost, nor do I recall now how many we bought.

The lesson here is, if you have some shooting buddies (and they should be reloaders too) that on occasion you maybe able to readily take advantage of specials when they appear (if they ever do anymore). That is, if you like to shoot? I have this motto: If I can't eat it, or if I can't ride it, or if I can't shoot it, I'm not interested in it. Gold, silver and Platinum are okay, but you generally have to have a functioning society to make them worthwhile having.

................ Buckshot
    Last edited by Buckshot; 09-27-2022 at 11:40 PM.
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Federal primers definitely softer as many have said. Used about all the rest in Garands and M1A's since 1991 when I got hooked on Service rifles . fwiw- all 13 of my Garands will leave a tiny but noticable mark on a chambered/unloaded round . Nothing stops the firing pin from going forward after the bolt stops on those guns . Never had a slamfire but one more good reason to exercise muzzle control !