Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Progressive vs Turret

Boolit Master
    I haven’t seen the actual problem with priming. He just told me that he’d had some seat upside down and some sideways. He said he and his wife primed 1000 rounds of brass while watching tv with the Franklin tool. That’s ok if you want to do it but I said “what’s your plan when you start loading once fired brass”? His response was”I’ll figure that out when the time comes”. Right now he’s out of state on a big construction job. I’m sure he’s giving all of this some thought. I’ve been emailing him your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by txbirdman View Post
    His response was”I’ll figure that out when the time comes”.
    That reminds me of a guy I used to work with that was from up around Martha's Vineyard.
    He'd answer a question like that with,
    "As Senator Kennedy would say---- I'll drive off that bridge when I get to it".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Absolutely the same process can be done on a turret press; 4 strokes per round. You can even get a good rhythm and pump them out wholesale; 4 strokes per round.
    On your progressive you are simultaneously doing 4 steps per stroke and each stroke spits out a round. Its a little more than a light speed difference, give or take

Guys can only pump out big numbers on progressives because they spent time fine tuning their machine. Invest some time fine tuning it and remember fast is slow, but smooth is fast.

I haven’t seen the actual problem with priming. He just told me that he’d had some seat upside down and some sideways.
    Sounds to me like the bench is too flimsy and an expander is sticking.

When you go over to see the problem first hand take some case lube, you will seem like a genius.

Either that or he has larger primer system components installed and seating small primers with them, at least sometimes.

The Dillon 750 is not something that has to prime off press.

Repeated problems with primers flipping and seating sideways happens when you feed small primers into a large primer setup.

Call Dillon, they can help over a zoom call.

If there is a mechanical fault with the press itself, Dillon will fix it.

Interesting how the new 750 has a mechanically similar priming system to the RCBS pro 2000 primer tube upgrade.
    Last edited by 414gates; 01-12-2022 at 03:09 AM. Reason: addendum

Interesting how the new 750 has a mechanically similar priming system to the RCBS pro 2000 primer tube upgrade.
    I am not sure I would call it an upgrade. None of the reciprocating priming systems are as reliable as the rotary system at delivering primers. That said, they can work well and if there is a problem (assuming correct parts are installed properly) it’s generally the plastic tip on the primer feed tube, the rotary system on the 650 is brass. The 750’s priming system is a lot closer to the 550 than any other press.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rCGV-JPYaE&t=14s

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll pass the information along. Bench is not a problem though. It’s solid as a rock.

Boolit Master
    I never run new brass though a sizing die unless it is dented. quite often I hand prime large batches of brass. if its previously fired I put only the size die in press and run my batch of brass through, then hand prime. and I always knock the primers out of fired brass before polishing. then set up the progressive without putting size die in it and use only expander, powder drop, seat and crimp. sometimes I run brass though all the steps on progressive. it depends on what caliber and what I'm wanting to load. when I'm working up a load I will use my old orange Lyman turret press to make 3 or 5 rounds of each different powder charge.
    but when a progressive is set up properly there is a sense of satisfaction of getting everything running smoothly and cranking out several hundred perfectly loaded rounds in an hour or less. dont know if any of this will be helpful for you but its just some of the ways I reload with a progressive press

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I'm glad others have given your friend some good advice, Because I can't imagine a newbie to start reloading on a Dillion progressive. But, on the other had, if your friend is smart and mechanically inclined, he likely won't blow his hand off.
    This right here.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll pass the information along. Bench is not a problem though. It’s solid as a rock.
    This is a 550 but you will recognize the parts when you become familiar with the 750.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rCGV-JPYaE&t=16s

Make sure that the cup/anvil/spring is the “small” one, both come with the press, after that make sure it is fully seated.

If it is high in the slide, it will destroy the orifice tip (the plastic on the tip of the primer magazine tube) and it will need to be replaced.

Over 36 years of dealing with the plastic tips, I have found that having the knurled nut that holds it in place loose is much better than tight. I do not even use two fingers to tighten them, just run them down to contact but they are not “tight” by any definition of the word.

The low primer alarm will keep it from rotating off as it will contact the measure before it can turn round and round.

Any compression of the tube (tightness of the knurled retainer) can distort the plastic and cause issues.

Once you mess up the tip, it’s done, replace it. Trying to run one with a ruined tip is like trying to reason with a mad woman, an utterly useless effort.

Boolit Master

Be sure to watch the top of the press and the primer follower rod for vibration. I agree with JMorris. It really sounds like either the press is vibrating or the large primer system is installed for small primers.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12