Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading

Thread: 45 version of J.Kort’s 44-40 design

Boolit Master

45 version of J.Kort’s 44-40 design

Attachment 294322

I shoot a lot of 44-40 and decided that I wanted to try John Kort’s 43-215C design in my rifle. Since my son and I also shoot 45 Colt carbines, I thought to just upsize the same profile and see where the chips fell - so I asked Tom at Accurate Molds to build a 1+1 mold with both calibers. The 44 throws 220 gr in 40/1 and the 45 weighs in at 256 in the same alloy. This allows me to shoot black powder in either cartridge and both feed similarly in all of the rifles. If you are interested, the mold number is 45-251C. I’m very pleased with both versions - the 45 is on the left side of the photo.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Attachment 294322

I shoot a lot of 44-40 and decided that I wanted to try John Kort’s 43-215C design in my rifle. Since my son and I also shoot 45 Colt carbines, I thought to just upsize the same profile and see where the chips fell - so I asked Tom at Accurate Molds to build a 1+1 mold with both calibers. The 44 throws 220 gr in 40/1 and the 45 weighs in at 256 in the same alloy. This allows me to shoot black powder in either cartridge and both feed similarly in all of the rifles. If you are interested, the mold number is 45-251C. I’m very pleased with both versions - the 45 is on the left side of the photo.
    Sir, I noticed that you are shooting 45-251C, cal 45 version of J.Kort’s 44-40 design. While I was searching what would be preferred boolit for black powder revolvers, I found about 43-215C on https://www.accuratemolds.com/catalo...catalog-anchor and noticed that 176 molds were sold. Quite remarkable! However, when checked 45-251C https://www.accuratemolds.com/catalo...catalog-anchor , just one mold was sold. I guess shooters are just not aware of this design.

You wrote "I’m very pleased with both versions - the 45 is on the left side of the photo.", unfortunately, attachment doesn't work. Although, I know how those boolits look like, it would be nice to see picture you mentioned.

Regarding 45-251C, when shooting it from revolver with black powder, what is charge, lube, barrel length, etc? What is velocity on muzzle, and accuracy you are getting on 25 yds, 50 yds.? What about fouling, how many shots you could fire before cleaning required? Thanks.
    Last edited by Onty; 11-27-2022 at 03:39 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onty View Post
    Sir, I noticed that you are shooting 45-251C, cal 45 version of J.Kort’s 44-40 design. While I was searching what would be preferred boolit for black powder revolvers, I found about 43-215C on https://www.accuratemolds.com/catalo...catalog-anchor and noticed that 176 molds were sold. Quite remarkable! However, when checked 45-251C https://www.accuratemolds.com/catalo...catalog-anchor , just one mold was sold. I guess shooters are just not aware of this design.

You wrote "I’m very pleased with both versions - the 45 is on the left side of the photo.", unfortunately, attachment doesn't work. Although, I know how those boolits look like, it would be nice to see picture you mentioned.

Regarding 45-251C, when shooting it from revolver with black powder, what is charge, lube, barrel length, etc? What is velocity on muzzle, and accuracy you are getting on 25 yds, 50 yds.? What about fouling, how many shots you fire could before cleaning required? Thanks.
    The reason only one has been sold is that I ordered that mold based on the upsized diameter to .45, and apparently nobody else has taken the plunge.

It’s simply a bigger brother to the 43-215C, so you get similar performance. My son and shoot them from lever action Rossi ‘92 carbines but primarily with smokeless.

Boolit Master

If the 45 shoots anything like the 44 it will be a winner. The 43-215c is the best bullet I have ever tried in 44-40. Keep us informed. If the 45 shoots as well I will order a mold.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master
    It does weigh about 255 grs, depending on alloy…and I didn’t “invent” this design - just asked Tom to upsize the 43-215C proportionately. I suspect it would work going down to 38-40 or 32-20.

Might have to give one a try, it sure shoots good in my two Win/Miroku 73’s . I have a 230 gr. version as well and still get 40 grs. of powder and same accuracy .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F7AA9F5C-3B93-4D31-BE03-C6091041308F.jpg