Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help reloading day in jeopardy !

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by brassrat View Post
    So I have a bunch of shiny, decapped, 30/30. It seems unsized so I put the rod back in the resize die and reset the die. I start off and see dents all around the shoulders. Can this be the die a little off or maybe the too much lube/ no inside lube? Attachment 294307
    I agree 101% with the probablity of your using, perhaps, too much lube. Another poster added the cleaning/opening if necessary of the air bleed hole. A third possibility, which has not been mentioned, was demonstrated by a friend (Steve) years back when he had a similar problem as yours and asked members of our Bullseye group for a solution. After adiving to use less lub and make sure bleed hole is open, the problem remained, but not as pronounced. He was asked to bring suspect die to next week's match, and without any real checking, our senior "sage" dropped the die into a mason jar he had brought with a solvent (gasoline? lacquer thinner? (I do not recall)) filling it. We shot for about an hour, after which Carl removed the die and brushed the innards quite aggressively with a soft bronze brush. He reassembled it, put it into the single stage press bolted there, and sized about a dozen cases with zero dents or irregularities. I do recall the die brand -- Lyman -- and apparently Steve purchased it, brand new, and had not cleaned it/removed their rust-preventing coating!
    You did not indicate if your die is a brand-new not cleaned one... If so, here's another possibility.
    geo

Boolit Master
    30/30 and hornet dent pretty easy.

I finished loading all these rounds and no dents. I am using much less lube. There is an unused Stuck Case gizmo in my parts drawer. It was an early purchase. Now I will finish going through and make sure all my dies are clean and reset in their Lee turrets. Thanks for all the help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12