Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: Speckled or swirled effect

Boolit Mold

Speckled or swirled effect

How do you get the speckled or swirled effected when powder coating. I've seen some post where some ppl put some powder coat on a brush or a tip and flick it on the bullets. Some other post ppl say to just mix the powders and it will give that effect.

Boolit Bub
    I have seen the speckle effect when I mixed HF yellow with HF red. Yellow always made a better, consistent coat. Red not so much. White not very uniform at all. But it was $6.00 HF powder. Liking Hi-Tech better.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I just mix colors and experiment. Some mix and some come out speckled. Luck of the draw imo. If I don’t mix the colors together so much it seems that they come out speckled. If I mix the powders together quite a bit it seems like they take better to make a solid color. I also bounce and roll my boolits in a separate container after tumbling. That container also has another color barely dusted in the bottom. I also keep bouncing till all the uneven build up is gone. If not it will bake on unevenly like the egg sinkers I just posted. Did those on purpose to look 3d. To give appearance of crab eggs. I’m sure it wouldn’t be great for rifle boolits. Pistol boolits at 25 yards imo it wouldn’t affect accuracy much or at all.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-10-2022 at 10:39 AM.

I do the same as Tripplebeards, I'll mix colors that I think I'd like and 9 out of 10 times they are speckled.

Boolit Mold
    Depending on how you mix you can even get a speckled coat

I usually mix 50/50. Haven't tried more than two color mix yet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0106210743.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	294427
    You can also dust with a different color. I use a q tip or small paint brush dipped in powder and tapped with a finger over the bullets.

Name:	0117201539_Film1~2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	294428

Name:	1220200754a.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	294429

I’m trying to come up with a copper colt using orange,yellow, black and silver. It’s still too yellow and orange for me. I’ll get it though.

Boolit Master
    When I wanted to put some flames on some black powder bullets (to improve velocity- trust me on this) I used a salt shaker to sprinkle some red PC
    Loren

Boolit Master
    30% Smoke's Jet black, 70% italian clear mixed. Clear is non TGIC , could be the reason they don't mix evenly? A good coating colour for range when you don't want extra attention.

Here are two coats,first bake pink,then bake the same black/clear mix as above. My rifled barrel slugs like two coats.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    i use a pair of Nitrile gloves and just "dust" some different colors on top. Works good.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    30% Smoke's Jet black, 70% italian clear mixed. Clear is non TGIC , could be the reason they don't mix evenly? A good coating colour for range when you don't want extra attention.

Here are two coats,first bake pink,then bake the same black/clear mix as above. My rifled barrel slugs like two coats.

Petander, you are the van Gogh of powder coating!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!