Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Odd idea. 230 volt electric heating/lead melting pot?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    Thanks for the tips.
    It would be mainly for larger batches of lead. Melting down scrap and making ingots. I will use my lee 110v pot when I do actual casting.
    I have not committed to building this yet, as it is mainly a brainstorming thread and looking at options of what could be done. It also would depend on finding the right parts for the right price.
    I checked my local craigslist and struck out. I will still keep my eye open.
    I will try to locate that thread I mentioned about the guy building an electric setup. He ended up having to use three large burners in a cluster and a HUGE relay to power them since the amperage was so high. Note the amperage part as you will probably need 50-100 amps to power this setup. If you have access to 3 phase power that is not an issue but standard household current will be pushing it. I know there was a LOT of fabrication, a LOT of insulation and a WHOLE LOT of wiring.

Boolit Grand Master
    How about this? https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ter&highlight=

I still use this setup for rendering lead, it has melted more than 1000 pounds with no problems. It's crude, but gives you a place to start and costs a couple of dollars.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    I will try to locate that thread I mentioned about the guy building an electric setup. He ended up having to use three large burners in a cluster and a HUGE relay to power them since the amperage was so high. Note the amperage part as you will probably need 50-100 amps to power this setup. If you have access to 3 phase power that is not an issue but standard household current will be pushing it. I know there was a LOT of fabrication, a LOT of insulation and a WHOLE LOT of wiring.
    This is probably the one you refer to:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...t-Construction
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master

+1 on heating bands. Buy chunk of pipe and weld a base on it add a band and bingo you have a pot. That’s what I did.

Boolit Master
    Yep, that is the one.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the links. That is exactly what I had in mind. I have to set aside some time to read through them.

Boolit Bub
    I have a magma cast master 90 lb pot. I use it for everything. I clean all my wheelweights, range scrap, lino/mono, and make 85 lb lots for shotmaking. Anything bulk. After doing the "dirty jobs", I empty, unplug, let cool and then clean out remnant lead, dirt etc. with a vacuum and air hose. Then refill and can hand cast, bottom pour or use as a holding pot for my shotmaker. All with 220volt. And all temperature controlled. No tanks, burners, pouring accidents. For me well worth the investment. When done, all I have is a pot to put away.
    Last edited by heebs; 01-12-2022 at 05:49 PM. Reason: addition

Boolit Master
    Here's a calculator you can use to figure heat/time/losses in your potential setup:

https://www.watlow.com/resources-and...age-calculator

6" burner is around 1500 watts and 8" is 2100. Burners that are made to plug in have an eyelet at the end and you can use a #10 steel machine screw, washers and nut to make your connection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12