Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wooden gun case

Boolit Master

I built a box for my Win 52 and all the junk I felt I needed to take it shooting. I was into 4 position match type shooting then. I wished that I had put wheels on it. It was 12" X 12" and 52" long made of 5/8" plywood with a just right cradle in it for the rifle. In spite of the weight the whole kit got stolen out of my house by a guy I rented to. I hated that!!
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Well I'm already an old guy, and I use my cases often with no problem. Most of my single shots weigh 10 lbs. on the minimum side! Some weigh close to 14.5 lbs., and my 3 barrel Pope Ballard set probably weighs 30 lbs. in it's case. That one I didn't build as the case is over 100 years old, as is the gun and barrels. But it's extremely well built by someone, and still is in great shape. It should have probably had two handles, or a shoulder strap though, as it's extremely heavy!

Didn't build this case for one of my Schoyen rifles either, but I loved that somebody covered it in Hereford hide!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    As you fellows age, those wooden gun cases can be a challenge. Easy to turn a 10 lb rifle and scope into a 20 lb carry.

We had a guy at the club who built a couple. There were very nice, but weight killed his little side business. Might be due to our membership...trap club with a lot of old men.

The other thing was getting dings and dents. Not much of a concern for something used a few times a year but frequent use takes a toll.

I am a woodworker and would never build one or a rifle I used frequently.
    Don,

My reply to that would be that cases destined for a lot of carrying and use should be covered with cloth or leather.
    A company called Apache Cases IIRC used to be represented at gun shows here in VA. These cases were covered with a coarse green cloth and lined in burgundy velvet. I bought one for my Marlin OU shotgun (a 20 ga). When I eventually got the same gun in 410 (a very rare bird) the case got “promoted” to carry this higher priced gun and the poor old 20 ga now has to ride around in a ballistic nylon case. The old green hard case is at least 25 years old and has gotten a few rub marks on it, but overall it still looks good and more importantly it protects the shotgun very well. The added weight is a small price to pay, IMHO.

If any of my Schuetzen rifles were as nice as Vall’s Ballards, you can be sure they would be carried in a hard case, and if I could find/afford it, a nice fitted wood case. In fact, my multi-barrel Maynard 1873 may have to have one!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Maybe because I did make it for those guns? Thanks!
    I wasn’t trying to be a smart a. My thought was that a random box shows up at your gunshow and your rifle turns out to be a great fit lengthwise and depthwise. I understand you rebuilt the interior to fit the Ballard and its accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    I wasn’t trying to be a smart a. My thought was that a random box shows up at your gunshow and your rifle turns out to be a great fit lengthwise and depthwise. I understand you rebuilt the interior to fit the Ballard and its accessories.
    When we talked previous to him bringing it in I asked him to check length. I told him not to bother bringing it in if it wasn't at least 50" or longer as it wouldn't be long enough for me to retrofit, and build out the interior.
    Didn't think you were being a smarty, just didn't think you knew we'd talked before he said he'd bring it in?

Boolit Grand Master

marlinman93. I have to admit I have a greatly deal of envy for your collection. Very impressive and yes I admit to being jealous. You are a very fortunate man. Thanks for posting all the pics I enjoy them greatly.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    marlinman93. I have to admit I have a greatly deal of envy for your collection. Very impressive and yes I admit to being jealous. You are a very fortunate man. Thanks for posting all the pics I enjoy them greatly.
    Thanks! I've been very lucky, and very blessed to stumble into some of the rifles that I've found. It's been a lifetime obsession, and really not sure how I've been fortunate to find many of them?

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Springfield Trapdoor 50-70.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	295255

Now I feel like a slacker. I made my own case but not as nice as what I see all of you doing. I tried to make it look good, but my main motivation was to protect the gun in transit since it's 150 years old. Yes it's heavy to carry around, yes the case is getting beat up. On the other hand it's fun to see the reactions when I bring the gun to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by JMN View Post

Name:	Springfield Trapdoor 50-70.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	295255

Now I feel like a slacker. I made my own case but not as nice as what I see all of you doing. I tried to make it look good, but my main motivation was to protect the gun in transit since it's 150 years old. Yes it's heavy to carry around, yes the case is getting beat up. On the other hand it's fun to see the reactions when I bring the gun to the range.
    Nothing gets more interest than a neat old single shot rifle in a wooden case. Even the AR15 guys at our gun range come over to see what you have when you open up a old wood case at the range!

You fellas build cases for your rifles.
    Well, I got things a little backward.
    I built a rifle for my case.Attachment 295261

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Thanks! I've been very lucky, and very blessed to stumble into some of the rifles that I've found. It's been a lifetime obsession, and really not sure how I've been fortunate to find many of them?
    I stumble a lot, but don't find many rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I stumble a lot, but don't find many rifles.
    You're stumbling in the wrong places!

Boolit Mold
    Not just when people see the case. I get plenty of questions after I've shot it a few times as well. It doesn't sound like the inline muzzle loaders so many people have.

Boolit Buddy
    I made the gun, the case, and the screw drivers. Processed the cherry for the case and the walnut for stock and screw drivers from stump to this. Cleaning rod is a vintage Marble's 3-piece. Stock butt rests under keeper block at right. Nothing has any wiggle room. Case handle is at the balance point. Whole thing weighs under 14 pounds. Rifle is chambered .25-20 Win.

Name:	case open.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	296673

Name:	case handle.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	296674

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12