RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooden gun case

Wooden gun case

Bought this old case in Dec. at our local collector gun show. Another member brought it in to sell to me, as he knows I like old wooden rifle cases. $20 and the interior was a mess, but I like that better since I tear it all out anyway.
    But the case was very solid, and exterior was clean and decent.

After stripping all the styrofoam, and foam rubber out of it, I laid my Schoyen Ballard #6 Schuetzen in it, and marked around it to let me see where to build dividers. Then the scope also to see where to build dividers, and supports.
    After that it's just cutting up the wood, and using my pin nailer and Elmer's glue to fit all the dividers in. Bought maroon wool felt to cover the inside, and did it in sections, letting the dividers dry well before trimming the excess felt. Then doing the lid, and various areas in a couple more sessions until it was all done.
    Here's the finished case that will help protect the old Ballard, and make a good display or carry case.

What a great project!
    I'd give your buddy the entrance fee to the show on top of his money back.

If I brought something like that home,
    my Dad would admire it, and say, "That's too nice for you..... sent it back".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    What a great project!
    I'd give your buddy the entrance fee to the show on top of his money back.

If I brought something like that home,
    my Dad would admire it, and say, "That's too nice for you..... sent it back".

Thanks!
    He didn't pay any entrance fee. We allow all our members to come in for free if they pay the $20 annual membership. So a great savings over the non members who pay $5 a month to come in. All our shows are free to members.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've always liked the looks of those wooden fitted gun cases, either the exposed wood or the leather covered ones.

I just may have to try making one, now that I have a few rifles that will do them justice.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Elegant rifle in an elegant box, as it should be. Nicely done!

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I've always liked the looks of those wooden fitted gun cases, either the exposed wood or the leather covered ones.

I just may have to try making one, now that I have a few rifles that will do them justice.

Robert
    I've made two from scratch, and they take a lot of work for me. I much prefer finding old cases like this one, and rebuilding them to fit. I tell everyone who I talk to at our monthly gun shows that I'll buy any old wooden rifle cases that are 50" or longer.
    I got this one from a guy I talked to in Nov. and he told me he'd bring it in at the Dec. show to look at.

Nice work, nice rifle. A+

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Elegant rifle in an elegant box, as it should be. Nicely done!
    Thanks! I really think they make the right gun!
    The first one I did was from scratch to fit my 1893 Marlin takedown with 3 barrels. I sold the gun, and the guy didn't want to pat the extra for the case. So another friend bought that case.
    Here's one I built for my engraved Union Hill Ballard:

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Nice work, nice rifle. A+

Slim
    Thanks Slim!

Boolit Master
    These are the kind of things that the mall ninjas and why would I ever do that crowd will never understand or appreciate. Back in the 90's for a decade or so our club had quarterly Shuetzen matches. They tolerated the kid with his Win/Jap 32-40 Hi-wall but I was casting and breech seating so it was okay. These rifles most if not all beyond works of art, the custom brass cornered boxes placed on the bench with lids that opened up to hold the rifles. The drawers which held the projectile selection and all the needed "stuff" mostly all hand fabricated the way they wanted it. And most of all was the kindness and generosity of these mentors (yes there were was a curmudgeon or two with his secret recipes but guided to steer clear), hey kid come shoot this, hey kid let me show you a way that might work a little better. Those are truly some wonderful memories in this getting old myself dude!

Amazing what "real shooters" want. I have several orders for custom gun cases.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    These are the kind of things that the mall ninjas and why would I ever do that crowd will never understand or appreciate. Back in the 90's for a decade or so our club had quarterly Shuetzen matches. They tolerated the kid with his Win/Jap 32-40 Hi-wall but I was casting and breech seating so it was okay. These rifles most if not all beyond works of art, the custom brass cornered boxes placed on the bench with lids that opened up to hold the rifles. The drawers which held the projectile selection and all the needed "stuff" mostly all hand fabricated the way they wanted it. And most of all was the kindness and generosity of these mentors (yes there were was a curmudgeon or two with his secret recipes but guided to steer clear), hey kid come shoot this, hey kid let me show you a way that might work a little better. Those are truly some wonderful memories in this getting old myself dude!
    Great memories! If guys like that didn't show us how it should be done we might not have the interest we do today!
    I use an old machinist wooden tool chest converted to hold stand up rest in the top to hold my rifles between shoots. Keep all my various tools, parts, etc. in the drawers. It's a bit heavy, but I just like looking at it on the bench next to me. Might even help me shoot better seeing it there!

Boolit Grand Master
    I wish we weren’t on opposite sides of the country. I’d love to sit down with you and swap stories, show off guns and drink coffee or adult beverages. We certainly share similar tastes, even though most of my favorites have a W in their name.
    Great job on those boxes. You have the attitude needed to judge how they should look to give that classic look and feel.

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Very nice rebuild. Love how your Ballard is a perfect fit, almost like the case was made for it. Here is my tenor ukulele case that I rebuilt for a sbr’ed 1928 [semi] Auto Ordnance and a few friends. The flat insert is a piece of aluminum, the wood dividers have lightening cuts milled into the underside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E0672588-B9C7-484A-96AE-E6862E5F9D1C.jpg   05419EF7-B224-40F8-831A-E0C30B7928D5.jpg   ED7C01A4-3FE6-4FB2-B7AC-A56E8EC8A917.jpg  

You fellows are very talented. It all looks very good. Thanks for showing the photos.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I wish we weren’t on opposite sides of the country. I’d love to sit down with you and swap stories, show off guns and drink coffee or adult beverages. We certainly share similar tastes, even though most of my favorites have a W in their name.
    Great job on those boxes. You have the attitude needed to judge how they should look to give that classic look and feel.

Regards,
    Froggie
    Thanks Charlie! And I wish we weren't opposite ends of the country too!

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Very nice rebuild. Love how your Ballard is a perfect fit, almost like the case was made for it.
    Maybe because I did make it for those guns? Thanks!

Boolit Master

Very nice work.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master
    As you fellows age, those wooden gun cases can be a challenge. Easy to turn a 10 lb rifle and scope into a 20 lb carry.

We had a guy at the club who built a couple. There were very nice, but weight killed his little side business. Might be due to our membership...trap club with a lot of old men.

The other thing was getting dings and dents. Not much of a concern for something used a few times a year but frequent use takes a toll.

I am a woodworker and would never build one or a rifle I used frequently.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Outstanding job Val, you do great work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast