Titan ReloadingADvertise hereRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Guy Takes Bull Elk with Rossi 92 .357 magnum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    My favorite loads come from either the Lyman pistol and revolver handbook, or Lee reloading manual. If you are willing to accept a slight reduction, the 170gr bullet load for 300-MP on the Alliant website is a dozy, and will readily surpass 1900 fps from a rifle. I didn't want to compare 158 gr since it stacks odds in the 357's favor too much. I have no idea why Hodgdon list such low velocity, because their listed max loads of H110 and a 180gr are over 1300 fps in my 5" revolver. They are WAY faster than that in a rifle, generally in the 500 fps gain over a revolver, but I can't give you first hand knowledge, since I do not currently have a 357 magnum rifle.

You don't even have to load them. Federal 158gr American Eagle round comes out of a rifle close to 1900 fps. Buffalo Bore's 180gr does 1850 fps.
    Thanks MSM. Looks like the Hodgdon data must be wrong. I am not near my other manuals and I use the Hodgdon site a lot.
    Don Verna

NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    The gun , load and Hunter did his job the pic clearly shows a dead elk and bunch of delicious rich meat……

Anyone criticizing this is virtue signaling makes no sense at all.

Boolit Master
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-with-a-38-40-!!

Similar ballistics, and got the job done.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Yep - It's not so much the tool, it's how it's used.

It ain't the arrow, it ain't the quiver, it ain't the bow, it's the injun.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorfan View Post
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-with-a-38-40-!!

Similar ballistics, and got the job done.
    Nice one. Gotta love that soft alloy mushroom, only went 30 feet, although admittedly in country that open and flat, it wouldn't really matter how far they go.

Boolit Master
    It would be tragic to have that much meat tainted by stress hormones if you did not get a quick, humane kill. Glad his shot was good.
    brotherhood of the black booger.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I'm personally more of a "bigger is better" when it comes to guns guy, but "Nice elk!" to him anyway.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    I spent many years as a "Dude wrangler", trying to get an elk for folks with guns bigger than I ever used. And a lot of them did get an elk. We hunted out of a back country pack in camp on National forest. So not a slam dunk like a lot of ranch hunts. I hunted in the timber, (that's where the elk were). If we got an elk, almost with out fail the guy shot at an elk that had no clue we were there. I got them positioned, got them a rest, I felt I did my job. I will say this, after seeing way too many gut shot shot elk at close range, that bullet placement is paramount, bullet construction is a consideration, and caliber debate is a waste of everybody's time. I have killed several with an old 45/75 Winchester and black powder shells. If you are hunting in open country, that is a different story. A canyon slinger cartridge has more validity there, but I will say this, if you can't kill it with a 30/06, you shouldn't be shooting at it. A 30/06 with today's bullets is a better longrange load than a .300 Mangle-um was in the '50's.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234