RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Guy Takes Bull Elk with Rossi 92 .357 magnum

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    My favorite loads come from either the Lyman pistol and revolver handbook, or Lee reloading manual. If you are willing to accept a slight reduction, the 170gr bullet load for 300-MP on the Alliant website is a dozy, and will readily surpass 1900 fps from a rifle. I didn't want to compare 158 gr since it stacks odds in the 357's favor too much. I have no idea why Hodgdon list such low velocity, because their listed max loads of H110 and a 180gr are over 1300 fps in my 5" revolver. They are WAY faster than that in a rifle, generally in the 500 fps gain over a revolver, but I can't give you first hand knowledge, since I do not currently have a 357 magnum rifle.

You don't even have to load them. Federal 158gr American Eagle round comes out of a rifle close to 1900 fps. Buffalo Bore's 180gr does 1850 fps.
    Thanks MSM. Looks like the Hodgdon data must be wrong. I am not near my other manuals and I use the Hodgdon site a lot.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    The gun , load and Hunter did his job the pic clearly shows a dead elk and bunch of delicious rich meat……

Anyone criticizing this is virtue signaling makes no sense at all.

Boolit Master
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-with-a-38-40-!!

Similar ballistics, and got the job done.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Yep - It's not so much the tool, it's how it's used.

It ain't the arrow, it ain't the quiver, it ain't the bow, it's the injun.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorfan View Post
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-with-a-38-40-!!

Similar ballistics, and got the job done.
    Nice one. Gotta love that soft alloy mushroom, only went 30 feet, although admittedly in country that open and flat, it wouldn't really matter how far they go.

Boolit Master
    It would be tragic to have that much meat tainted by stress hormones if you did not get a quick, humane kill. Glad his shot was good.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I'm personally more of a "bigger is better" when it comes to guns guy, but "Nice elk!" to him anyway.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I spent many years as a "Dude wrangler", trying to get an elk for folks with guns bigger than I ever used. And a lot of them did get an elk. We hunted out of a back country pack in camp on National forest. So not a slam dunk like a lot of ranch hunts. I hunted in the timber, (that's where the elk were). If we got an elk, almost with out fail the guy shot at an elk that had no clue we were there. I got them positioned, got them a rest, I felt I did my job. I will say this, after seeing way too many gut shot shot elk at close range, that bullet placement is paramount, bullet construction is a consideration, and caliber debate is a waste of everybody's time. I have killed several with an old 45/75 Winchester and black powder shells. If you are hunting in open country, that is a different story. A canyon slinger cartridge has more validity there, but I will say this, if you can't kill it with a 30/06, you shouldn't be shooting at it. A 30/06 with today's bullets is a better longrange load than a .300 Mangle-um was in the '50's.

Banner Sponsor

Dan from Mountain Molds got a Moose with a 357 Mag levergun many years ago. It did the job.

Boolit Master
    There buses to be a time I would have argued against doing this with a .357, but after spending years using it in various guns, I now know that it’s not so much what you use, but rather that you use it properly, and this hunter obviously knows how to
    Use his .357 Mag.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Buddy
    A late friend of mine had a marlin marauder in 30-30. He killed at least 10 mule deer and 8 elk with it. He got close and put his shots where they counted. He used the old Remington 170 grain Roundnose Hollowpoint exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Good to see some common sense.

Too many people applaud foolish accomplishments.

👏 memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Man
    Original 30/30 load was a 160gr soft point, at 1970 fps. 357 mag with a 180gr can stay real close to that in a rifle. If you can shoot well and pick your shots, I see no problem.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque, NM USA
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Please share load data. .357 with 180 gr has a maximum muzzle velocity of less than 1400 fps on the Hodgdon site....this was their rifle data
    I know this is incredibly late, but 180-gr Tennessee Valley Bullets or Penn .357 truncated cast flat point, Starline brass, 15.0 grains of Lil' Gun, CCI small magnum primer, firm roll crimp give velocities right around 1800 fps from Navy/Rossi 1892 20" short rifle at an altitude of just under 6k'. This was still an acceptable load this morning, according to the Hodgdon site. I'd imagine it would leave a mark. (That gun gets really interesting with 158-gr LSWC hardcasts.)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerShooter View Post
    A late friend of mine had a marlin marauder in 30-30. He killed at least 10 mule deer and 8 elk with it. He got close and put his shots where they counted. He used the old Remington 170 grain Roundnose Hollowpoint exclusively.
    Walked one of my Buds to 15 yrds of a bedded 800lb 60in bull moose, the second biggest in the state that year. He had a 7mm Mag but a 30-30 would have done it in with the correct shot. Shot placement is everything
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234