Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is this kid going to blow up his gun?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Excellent! Thank you for the feedback!
    2cd pic doesnt look too bad to me but that first picture has primers i would not like to see.

Can you clarify "he got the loads from Hornady"? If they are over published max i doubt anyone at Hornady gave him that load and ive gone onto a number of forums without anyone coming close to that. I would be very cautious. My advice to the young man would be to pull those and stick to book max until he got quite a bit more experience.

Lack of experience does not make a person stupid. He went to where lots of kids get advice now for good or ill. This is a golden opportunity to help him out before he gets hurt
    Last edited by jonp; 01-11-2022 at 10:25 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

jonp: “This is a golden opportunity to help him out before he gets hurt.”

I am surprised more people didn’t suggest that you offer to walk him through your own reloading, and may be become his mentor. You don’t have to know everything about reloading to teach someone the basics. And I appreciate the person who helped me reload my first few shells. He emphasized the importance of finding a load in a manual, and weighing it exactly, and making ammunition that was as close to perfect as possible. This new reloader needs to know that accuracy and safety matter most. Show him your press. Show by example. If he reloads 9mm, make 50 rounds of 115 grain bullets with him. Talk to him about powders and presses. Give him a subscription to Handloader magazine. Talk about other calibers. Take him to the range and practice accuracy with him and his father.

I think it is possible that the kid only needs someone to be an example. Perhaps this is wishful thinking. But I was surprised that most people here did not suggest this. I always received a lot of support and encouragement from this site even though have done a lot of stupid things in my life, too. Sometimes you just don’t know until until someone helps you. Been there on both sides.
    Last edited by fn1889m; 01-11-2022 at 09:49 PM.

Boolit Master
    That youngster should be thankful for a mentor. As a lot of older folks who got a start just by reading and not on the internet. I would have given anything to have had someone to look over my shoulder.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Ya but remember those cases where only six packs back in the day.
    Yeah 4 six packs where I lived .

Boolit Buddy
    9mm head spaces on the case mouth. They should not be roll crimped.

Don

If he’s chasing velocity, it’s just a matter of time……Try and find a load manual that shows min/max load and min/max pressures for that load. Stay within the SAAMI specs. Loads should be worked up. Max load minus at least 10%. Also, each chamber may be different and starting on the upper end is asking for kaboom! IMHO.

Boolit Master

Went out shooting with the kid and his dad today. Both exhibited excellent range habits and discipline. They had a chronograph with them and the kid was shooting some .223 loads and some more 9mm loads, but this time using 124gr XTPs.

.223 loads were within reason, but the 124 grain loads, again, were going exceptionally fast. 1296 fps out of a Glock with 4" barrel. Hottest load I can find on Hodgdon website is 1008 fps using the XTP. For any bullet, the fastest is 1212 fps.

I relayed the advice in this thread in a kind and gentle manner, and he seemed to accept it.

My own 9mm defensive loads were only going 987 fps out of the 3" barrel of my P365 using 124 gr XTPs and Ramshot Silhoutte in 32 degree weather.

And my .45 Colt loads were way too slow per the manual. 16" barrel and 22 grains of IMR 4227 using an XTP in 250 grain with the fastest being 1,160 fps.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Ok, I think we can stop with the doom and gloom now. That load is not going to blow up a gun. I can promise you one thing. If you confront him and tell him he is being stupid, best case scenario is he tells you "Lets go Idaho". Just hand the dad the ammo, tell him he is about 1 grain over max, and that's all you should do. Why the dad is involved at all is perplexing, but I'm a believer we should all just watch our own bobber.
    Exactly. Let's ratchet the drama back a bit and think rationally.

First, looking at primers as an indication of pressure, especially in this case, is folly. How could a small pistol primer possibly know to flatten in a 32 ACP max load that runs 20K psi chamber pressure, but not flatten in a less than maximum .327 Federal Magnum load that's running 40K psi?

Second, the Glock is chambered in the .357 Sig, which is loaded to 40K psi here and 44K psi overseas. So I think it's safe to say the pistol can handle it.

Yes, he his definitely over max with his load, but as mega said, explain this to he and the dad, tell them that loads like that are unsafe and hard on the pistol, and move on. No need for the worn out "Kaboom" predictions.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Man
    Some one should probably call up Hornady and let them know their 124 XTP 9mm +p loads are unsafe as they are pushing them 167 fps faster than Hodgdons claims you can out of a 4" barrel.

And while you are on the phone give Buffalo Bore Ammunition a call because they sell 9mm +P 95 grain loads that clocked 1374 fps and 124 gr that clocked 1296 fps out of a Glock 19 with a 4" barrel.

I know that Hornady and BBA use proprietary powder but still?

Boolit Grand Master

Just loaded some up to run over a chrony. Unfortunately it's too nasty out to do it today. I played with the seating depth a little bit will start testing at midrange, 4.6gr BE. Top end is about 5.2gr so I will proceed with caution. I doubt I will approach the young man's loading, though

I was going to use my all steel Kahr K9 but instead will use a Zenith which is used by the Turkish military so is proofed for +P to conform with NATO specs. I bought 2 on sale a few years ago and one is still NIB. It's a full size polymer frame and a tackdriver.
    Last edited by jonp; 01-16-2022 at 04:45 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Man
    This bulging is due to over crimping, correct? Attachment 294274
    Looks almost like a roll crimp I dont know much about reloading 9’s but i do know you need a taper crimp die you may inspect his die set and see if it is a roll crimp or taper crimp.
    On another note maybe you should try to help this young man maybe you could be a mentor of sorts For him to learn how to do these things correctly it wouldn’t take a whole lot of your time and it may save him some appendages. You could start by deleting his Facebook and get a good reloading manual.

Boolit Mold
    Glocks are just looking for an excuse to blow anyway.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PBMAX84 View Post
    Glocks are just looking for an excuse to blow anyway.
    Looks like we got a troll...
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Only looked at the first photos but I don’t think smearing your primers is a good sign.

Banner Sponsor

I'm a little late to the conversation, but Looking at Quickload... I'm with MagaSuperMagnum in that the pressures look to be around 37k.
    The 90gn XTP is a very short bullet, so one thing we need to know is to what length is he loading them? The 9mm is a fairly small case and adjusting the seating depth can effect the pressure and velocity quite abit.
    If we look at max pressure for the 9mm, then 6.0gns of Bullseye should give around 1450fps safely and be just under 35kpsi.
    I don't shoot a Glock, but that's just because they don't fit my hand very well. The Glock's are supposed to be very strong and durable guns. I don't think he's going to blow up the gun, but with his over pressure loads, he needs to think about slide velocity and if it will batter the gun...
    I wonder if they make a slide buffer for the Glocks.
    Anyways, that my 2 cents

Boolit Bub
    Went out shooting with the kid and his dad today. [sic]…

And my .45 Colt loads were way too slow per the manual. 16" barrel and 22 grains of IMR 4227 using an XTP in 250 grain with the fastest being 1,160 fps.
    Are you using a magnum primer? IMR shows H-4227 data right in that range with the right velocity but out of a 7-1/4” barrel. They indicate a WLP primer, which I believe Winchester considers it to be a magnum primer.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jaaymar View Post
    Are you using a magnum primer? IMR shows H-4227 data right in that range with the right velocity but out of a 7-1/4” barrel. They indicate a WLP primer, which I believe Winchester considers it to be a magnum primer.
    I didn't even notice, but Idaho started this thread about a 9mm that is slightly over book load, and then comes back with a 45 colt load that is at least 2 grains over any listed max I can find. 1160 fps with a 250gr sounds like a good healthy rifle load to me. Should have got a 44 magnum if you wanted more.

Boolit Master
    I didn't even notice, but Idaho started this thread about a 9mm that is slightly over book load, and then comes back with a 45 colt load that is at least 2 grains over any listed max I can find. 1160 fps with a 250gr sounds like a good healthy rifle load to me. Should have got a 44 magnum if you wanted more.
    It seems like you haven't read Hornady 10th manual.

Boolit Bub
    From IMRPOWDER.COM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04DDB38D-75C3-4CE9-8CFF-681C697EC69A.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	295994

This is a ruger only load.
    Certain rifles can handle the extra pressure and it is up to the person using the load to verify that it is safe.

Same as the father of the young man whose concern drove him to seek additional information regarding his sons 9mm handloads.

OK people you do not crimp 9 mm at all there’s a lot of around you do not crimp. And it sounds like he’s running in the + P load range Not by my +P manual can check when I get home

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast