Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is this kid going to blow up his gun?

Boolit Master

Hand him some safety glasses and one of those clear face things people are wearing these days. +1 one on the gloves and maybe he should where a armored vest and welding mitts for more safety. He needs a education before he gets a education.

Boolit Buddy
    Glocks are designed for military ammo, this hasn’t been mentioned yet but the current M882 NATO 9mm specification falls squarely in the +P category. It likely will be fine. I wouldn’t advise it, as there will be some undue wear, but he is extremely unlikely to have issues. Kabooms normally happen from a squib load with the bullet lodging in the barrel, followed by a double charge.
    Last edited by zarrinvz24; 01-10-2022 at 10:28 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Ok, you guys are really getting ridiculous. You don't know this person, you don't know how long he has been loading, you don't know what he is trying to do. 9mm +P spec is 38,500 psi. As I said earlier, when I put this into Quickloads, this load is estimated 37,632 psi. This is in no way a danger to himself or others by itself. It might not be nice to his gun, but it isn't an more dangerous than going out and buying factory loaded +p ammo. Remember, most of you are from the generation where all your good stories start with "Some buddies and I were driving around, and just finished our second case of beer".

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Ok, Remember, most of you are from the generation where all your good stories start with "Some buddies and I were driving around, and just finished our second case of beer".
    Ya but remember those cases where only six packs back in the day.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Grand Master
    Running himself notably beyond currently published suggestions is a red flag for sure.

That isn’t being judgmental, just an opinion borne of being a handloader for many years. Striking off on your own without knowing for sure is not well advised. Guessing is not reassuring, and published data is where the real science lies. Not seat of the pants.

Rather like the old pilot/bold pilot shtick.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Running himself notably beyond currently published suggestions is a red flag for sure.

That isn’t being judgmental, just an opinion borne of being a handloader for many years. Striking off on your own without knowing for sure is not well advised. Guessing is not reassuring, and published data is where the real science lies. Not seat of the pants.

Rather like the old pilot/bold pilot shtick.
    Unless he was trying to meet the major power factor requirement, in which case ALL competitors are going above published load data. The only mistake he made if this is the case is that power factor is the opposite of bullet energy. Energy favors light bullets going fast, where power factor favors heavy bullets going slow.

Boolit Grand Master
    Given the context, it is unreasonable to bestow upon a teen powers of science and measurement that few handloaders have. There is no indication he has earned that. Thus the tone here should properly be that of caution and conservatism.

For safety’s sake, assume that individuals often operate with inadequate information. In human terms it is the way to bet.

Boolit Grand Master

You have no idea the context, and neither do I. Teen or not, that's an 18 year old man. For whatever reason his dad brought ammo to Idaho for inspection. It could be as simple as he wanted a second opinion from someone who isn't on the internet on why he is getting firing pin swipe. Don't blow this out of proportion for what it is.

Boolit Grand Master
    The context always was that the context is unknown. That seemed pretty evident but I guess I have to make it more plain now.

By the same token, recognize that safety is the prime consideration when handloading and that since his qualifications and motivations are unknown….smart advice always errs on the safe side.

Always.

Boolit Grand Master
    If someone has to ask why he is getting firing pin swipe, nobody proximate to the ammo assemblage, dad or son, has a good handle on what is going on. They did ask for other opinions which means they themselves are not sure.

That you can take a a sign there is a lack of knowledge here. The reaction here is justified, exactly because of what is not known.

Boolit Grand Master

In no way did he deserve being called all the names he has been, most of which are censored. A cautions reaction sure. Being called a dip****? No.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    In no way did he deserve being called all the names he has been, most of which are censored. A cautions reaction sure. Being called a dip****? No.
    I second this.

I still know people who reload and do not own a reloading manual. These are the guys who are always looking for faster, hotter loads.

Most of us on this forum are of a more mature mind set and have already learned our lessons. We look at things in an older style. Rules regs and so on. The new generation is point click instant result and go with more of a well everyone else is doing it attitude.

Boolit Master
    This is the way handloading gets a bad name!

A newbie pushing the limits ......

I started at age nineteen with no mentor at all. I bought manuals and read. In 1975 there was no internet, just books.

When I came to the .243 Win cartridge I was hunting coyotes with an “old guy” in his forties. He shot a 75 gr hp Hornady at book max of 46.7 gr of IMR 4350. I started the same bullet and got great groups at 44.8 gr of the same powder. That did not sit well with him as he said I was losing velocity.

I never budged and a few years later I killed a coyote at 445 yds. with the same combo .........

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Odd a glock 19 can't handle 37,xxx psi loads??? I thought glocks were P+ rated, I know my taurus g2c is (38,500psi).

If you click on the picture of the spent cases the op posted and save it to your computer. You can blow it up and take a good look at the primers. They all have round edges/aren't flattened. The "fp swipes" don't look bad to me and if you blow the picture up you will see there's not only a mix of primers used, not all of them have swipes.

Perhaps the young man is having a hard time finding primers and used some federal sp primes which are soft/more prone to odd fp hits with higher pressure loads.
    Perhaps the slide needs a good cleaning and the fp channels has just enough junk in it to slow the fp's movement down every 2nd/3rd/4th shot.

Interesting choice in bullet, don't know what the glock 19's sights are calibrated to/ (ammo/distance). But that light bullet going +/- 1500fps is going to be hitting extremely low. Hopefully he's using a reddot.

Awhile back I started doing a little testing using a 110gr cast bullet and hot/max standard pressure loads in 38spl & 9mm cases. Used a 2" bbl'd 38spl and that 3.2" bbl'd taurus g2c to test those loads in. I stopped testing after that, no need to try p+ loads simply because that 110gr bullets was hitting too low/so low the sights were worthless @ 50ft. Perhaps @ +/- 3yds it wouldn't matter but I like to setup my cc firearms to hit to the poa @ 25ft.

Anyway, I like this kid!!! Looks like he's done due diligence and found data for what components he had to work with.

Myself, I don't like light bullets in the 9mm's. Like using +/- 4.0gr of bullseye with +/- 124gr bullets in the 9mm and don't load "max" pressure p+ loads with any initial testing with any bullet/powder combo.

But then again being a caster, I have a pretty much unlimited supply of bullets to work with. With the odd choice of bullets and things still being tight, that 18-year-old might be having a hard time finding components let along having the $$$ to buy them. If anything, that young man should do 2 things:

1. Wait for a 2nd range trip to test top end loads/study the initial testing (with starting/middle end loads) 1st looking at targets, velocities, spent cases along with looking for erratic behavior in the loads.
    2. Join this cast bullets website, judging by the posts in this thread. I'm sure he'll not only receive a warm welcome, he'll find a whole new world of reloading to explore.

Boolit Master
    I have Bullseye powder but rarely use it. It is not a powder that is forgiving for even the smallest mistakes. I have been reloading since 1959 and still occasionally make a mistake. I mostly use Unique. When I read a manual, I never use the max suggested load. I drop at least a half grain, maybe more. The paper targets I shoot don't seem to know the difference.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Mize well stir the pot once more before getting back to work. Just kidding.

Only one Glock has a fully supported chamber and its not a G19.

I hate to sound cynical or jaded or indifferent, as I am none of those, but, my first thought with this, was to think "It's a Glock, and the guy is an idiot, so, who cares?"

And, then...no second thought seemed to follow...

Boolit Grand Master

Unless I missed the post it seems no one actually measured the powder and bullet to see what it looked like. I had a new box of XTP 90gr I bought for my .380, #35500, on the shelf so opened it up. I also pulled out a bottle of Bullseye I had hanging around. Using a Federal 9mms and seating to the ogive gives you a slightly compressed load. Seating it out to what the picture in #5 looks like the powder is right on the base of the bullet with little or no airspace.

I have not played with BE that much but have a keg of it. I might load some of these up this weekend and approach max over a chrony to see what the velocity actually looks like with these as 90gr is not something I would use in a 9mm.

Hornady says 1500fps is the max on this bullet. I'd be worried about bullet destruction at or above this speed
    Last edited by jonp; 01-11-2022 at 10:06 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I have not played with BE that much but have a keg of it. I might load some of these up this weekend and approach max over a chrony
    Don't do it. You'll shoot your eye out kid.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Don't do it. You'll shoot your eye out kid.
    I have a suit of armor I wear for testing
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast