Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silver Bullet

Boolit Grand Master

You are looking for a jeweler who makes his own settings. Not someone who puts together what someone else has made.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    The two jewelry makers that I knew had vacuum chambers for casting. The ceramic molds are just porous enough that the vacuum draws the silver (or gold) into the tiniest features.

You might search for a 'Silversmith' as well as a jeweler. As mentioned above, many jewelers buy all their components and just assemble the products.

Boolit Master

A boolit cast of pure babbit would last forever.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master

I remember the "Guns Magazine" series of articles that got started with the "Lone Ranger" and his silver bullets . Casting in a iron mould didn't work ... that month's episode was a Hoot ! I believe they couldn't get a decent boolit cast in silver ...lack of heat in both melting pot and mould gave pathetic almost boolits ... they ended up going to a jewelers who had melting and casting equipment , he made a wax boolit and used the Lost Wax process to cast one or...they might of had him turn one on a lath ...I forget ... anyways the next series of articles was working up a load and next was the shooting.
    But back to problem at hand ... find a jeweler who can turn one on a lathe and finish it nicely ... Remove the boolit from an unfired 22 LR so he will know how to shape it and have the dimensions .
    After getting it made simply insert into that fired case and crimp it into place.
    I would have the Jeweler look at what you want to do and have him make a nice mounting for attaching to a chain ... it sure would look nice on a nice chain and mounted ...something more than just a hole drilled through the case with a chain run through it !
    Special gift for a special daughter !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Where are you located? I know of a jeweler in central Il who I know wold have the skills and equipment to make something like that.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Master

Years and years ago I dabbled into that "once" and that was all. Used a Lyman "dipper" ladle and a torch to melt. Candidate was a 358311. The problem is to get everything right. Mould has to be hot as hades and so does the ladle and silver. I used some scrap sterling and a couple of mutilated coins. Due to the small amount of silver and the requirement to keep everything hot, I was never able to get a bullet without wrinkles and after a while gave up and dumped the melt into the pot. Sure made the bullets harder.
    The lathe turning sounds like the best approach./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    How about taking a copper jacketed bullet and silver or chrome plating it?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    These guys make and sell silver bullets. No 22 though.

https://minutemanammo.com/
    At 150 dollars a bullet I'll pass -

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Go to a jewelry maker, and have him turn one on his lathe.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12