MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver Bullet

Boolit Mold

Silver Bullet

Have the first 22 shell my daughter ever fired and wanted to make a necklace pendant for her. Anyone ever try to cast a bullet with silver before? I’m not stuck on 99.9 silver but would like to if possible. Anything jewelry grade would be fine as long as it doesn’t tarnish overly fast or contain nickel. Don’t want to use lead because I want her to be able to wear it.

This can’t be as easy as lead with a higher temp can it? Would zinc wheel weights be a suitable alternative if silver based metals aren’t feasible?

Gonna order one of those 22lr reloading mold/crimp die combos for the project.

Use pure tin/pewter

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Ag is Ag. Period. I think she would really appreciate a boolit necklace made by you from pure Ag. Pewter is carp! And it DOES look different.

Melting and casting it just takes more heat, 1,764°F to be precise for melt point. An Al mold would melt at ~1,220°F, depending on the alloy it is made from. To be safe, use an iron mold.

I think she would appreciate the work & extra effort you went to for a PURE SIIVER boolit. And she can use to protect against vampires!!!!

Boolit Master
    I actually have done this for my sister,I took my 38 Colt heeled bullet mould to a jewler and we poured 6 to load into a "werewolf and vampire kit" that we made for her when her husband accepted a job near in Pemberton, BC. I brought the coins, they did a superb job of smelting them and casting bullets for the project. They did have a specific way of fluxing the metal so as to leave them looking like grandma's dinner set!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    A jewelry maker is your best bet, silver is pretty hard to melt without specialized equipment.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    If she is school age, she may not be able to wear it...something to consider....it is a woke world.
    Don Verna

I'd run it past a jeweler that makes custom stuff and get the price for real Silver.
    Also offer him a pulled .22 projectile to use for making his mold, and let them put it in the spent case.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Bub
    For only one. I’d machine it on a lathe. Using 2 gauge silver wire which specs at .257”. Or 1/4” silver rod stock.
    I made many solid copper bullets this way. I cast 45 cal silver bullets long ago using a Lyman mold but be careful they will want to bond to mold blocks. Good luck. JS

Banned
    I remember an article in an early 60’s Gun World article about shooting/casting silver bullets. Written by Dan Cotterman or Duke Roberts if I recall correctly!

Boolit Master

These guys make and sell silver bullets. No 22 though.

https://minutemanammo.com/

I read an article where they used stove cement to make a mold around a boolit. They melted the boolit out and poured silver in. I think wax would work just as well.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

To cast one I would consider the brownels low temp silver solder. Its melting working point is much closer to lead. where as the high temp silver solders and silver are much closer to 1500*. Also would recommend using the recommended soldering flux for each as at these temps what we normally use will burn off to quick. Using true silver I would also use a steel mould as aluminum and silvers melting points are very close with silver being slightly higher.

The last rolls of true silver solder I bought (I think it was 45% silver) Was around $86.00 tor a 1 ounce roll of 1/16" dia.

Fluxes work in certain temp ranges so you need one to match the solder. In your case borax may work also.

Your lead pot isnt going to do the job and even a home type propane torch will struggle to melt it in an amount. mapp gas preferably with oxygen will do it but will be slow.

Also wear PPE glasses gloves heavy clothing pron and face shield. with the temps your working at its more dangerous than lead.

Boolit Buddy
    Be careful with the silver solders, as some contain cadmium. Unless you wanted some specific detail from the 22, I think that making one from round stock would be easier than trying to cast it and clean it up afterwards, especially if you are only doing one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    These guys make and sell silver bullets. No 22 though.

https://minutemanammo.com/
    I love that but Im too cheap to buy!

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

I'll double down on the suggestion to see a jeweler - you are dealing with a melting temp well beyond our capabilities and probably a lost wax type of casting - again, something we are not equipped to do but the jewelry industry does it on a daily basis.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Yep, lost wax and ceramics are the way to go. Jeweler's stuff.

I paid to have a jeweler do custom work for me at one time. It wasn't that expensive considering he was working with gold

Boolit Mold
    That’s a lot of great ideas that I didn’t think about before.

What kindof jeweler should I be looking for that does that kindof work or is that pretty much any of them? I’m not too proud to enlist help. I was dumb and didn’t actually look up the melting temps of this stuff. I can’t mill one from a silver rod so it’ll have to be cast. I guess pewter will be my backup plan if a jeweler can’t help. How much does that shrink when cast?

My plan is to try making a few from some empty cases I have rolling around in the bottom of my shooting bag. So I may go with some pewter and zinc just to have something to test my entire process with before taking a drill bit to the bottom of my daughters case. Thank you all very much for the help so far!

Boolit Master
    I would try for a jewler that isn't associated with a chain, that does their own settings. When I wish to have something made, I take in my own metal (scrap silver - generally older US currency, scrap gold - generally bought from a pawn shop in the form of jewelry). I get a receipt for the metal along with the estimate on purity. It is amazing what people want cast in precious metal, so the moulds are not difficult to make or come by or make - a quick YouTube search will help.
    The jewelers that I have worked with are usually excited to not be making more prongs or stone settings and do a fantastic job.
    As an alternative - there are several silver casters that advertise their services on the internet.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Your Daughter should really like that. I think I have some electrical contacts that have silver on them. It seems like maybe each contact has a piece about the size of a dime. I would gladly send you a few for this project.

Boolit Grand Master
    I remember a write up years ago about casting silver bullets. It seemed quite an involved process to get a decent result.

Remembering back to my high school jewelry class, a combination of lost wax and centrifugal casting make it seem simple, if you have the casting centrifuge.

For a one of, I would go with turning a representative boolit either in a real lathe or using a drill and files. Or see if you can find a local jeweler.

Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast