RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: 7.62 x ? Need some help identifying

Vendor Sponsor

7.62 x ? Need some help identifying

I've have recently come into possession of 2 cans of this unopened. I don't want to break the seal and possibly devalue them but the "L" has me puzzled. Anyone know what specific version of 7.62 these would be?

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lakehouse2012; 01-08-2022 at 01:35 PM.

That spam can looks like the ones the chinese corrosive steel core ammo would come in back in the 80's. Could be anything they produced though. Still have one of those soldered cans with the square corners that has various workbench junk in it.

Boolit Buddy
    My guess is either 7.62X39 or 7.62X54R, and it contains 440 rounds. You oughta be able to figure out which one by the box size. Which sets of 22 boxes best fits into the container?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The "L" is a type indicator for lead core rifle ball ammuntion, whereas LPS indicates mild steel core. 440 rounds is the standard paper wrapped loose pack for 7.62x54R.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    The "L" is a type indicator for lead core rifle ball ammuntion, whereas LPS indicates mild steel core. 440 rounds is the standard paper wrapped loose pack for 7.62x54R.
    Thanks Outpost, that helps, I was making the L harder than it needed to be.... Just needed a retired scientific expert to help me through

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Majority of "L" ball has brass case and gilding metal jacketed, flattl based bullet with conical base cavity, 144 to 148 grains, as common "rifle pack". Typical LPS ball has copper washed steel case and gilding metal clad mild steel jacket boattail bullet with mild steel core and lead base filler. Standard loading for PK series machine guns. Not unsafe for rifle use, but the steel case may give harder bolt opening and stiff manual extraction in bolt guns.

Occasionally you may run across yellow-tipped P ball with heavier 184 - grain boattail bullet, used for long range indirect fire machinegun applications and as sniper rifle ammo.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Vendor Sponsor

Now that you mentioned machineguns, what in the world should become of this?

According to dimensions it appears to be 8mm Mauser.

Usually when I find a box of ammo, I go searching for a gun to buy to use it in, but not sure this would be a fast purchase....

Boolit Master
    Red primer sealant could be older PPU or NNY manufacture in Serbia, or Yugoslavia. The rounded or domed primers could also be corrosive. I have some older 7.62x54r 182 grain NNY or PPU headstamped ammo with the red primer sealant and mid 80's dated and definitely corrosive primed. The newer stuff put out either Yugo or Serbian mfg had a green primer sealant and is non corrosive. Hansen cartridge company had IMI Israeli made 7.62x39 with a dark navy blue or black primer sealant and is non corrosively primed. When I got my Finn Model 27 the only non corrosively primed 7.62x54r was either Norma or Hansen Cartridge company. Found a dealer who had 15 boxes and bought it all. Good brass. [I]f you can let us know what the headstamp is on your 8mm mauser ammo. Frank

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Red primer sealant could be older PPU or NNY manufacture in Serbia, or Yugoslavia. The rounded or domed primers could also be corrosive. I have some older 7.62x54r 182 grain NNY or PPU headstamped ammo with the red primer sealant and mid 80's dated and definitely corrosive primed. The newer stuff put out either Yugo or Serbian mfg had a green primer sealant and is non corrosive. Hansen cartridge company had IMI Israeli made 7.62x39 with a dark navy blue or black primer sealant and is non corrosively primed. When I got my Finn Model 27 the only non corrosively primed 7.62x54r was either Norma or Hansen Cartridge company. Found a dealer who had 15 boxes and bought it all. Good brass. [I]f you can let us know what the headstamp is on your 8mm mauser ammo. Frank
    Thanks frank!