Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Starting out at hopeless and moving toward better prepared

Boolit Master

Starting out at hopeless and moving toward better prepared

I posted the below as a comment in a thread in Our Town and then I realized it would be better in Prepper Talk. So here it is:

More than 30 years ago I realized bugging out from LA was impossible.
    Why?
    To leave the LA Basin you must travel through the worst parts of town and after leaving LA you must travel through a lot of desert. You can't drive far and you will have to walk a long ways.
    So?
    I had no slings, no holsters, no backpacks, no sports bags, no range bags, no canteens, no water containers, no bicycles, no anything useful. I could only carry useful stuff in my pockets or hands.
    What a wakeup call!

Lots of people think they can just 'bug out', like that's some magic word that will solve all their problems.

Over the years, I've learned how to keep a straight face, and not laugh when I hear that.
    Some of these folks think they can take a can of pork & beans, a bag of potato chips,
    smart phone, and their XBox, then go live happily ever after like Daniel Boone.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-08-2022 at 02:05 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

As I've posted in other threads, I'm bugging IN. I'm much to old to be wandering about in the great outdoors and have the good luck of knowing several young men who are also very good shooters. They all know well of my reloading hobby-obsession and the way to my place. Gp

Boolit Master

Better Prepared Step One:

Move out of Los Angelos county (and California)!

Boolit Master
    There will be survivors almost everywhere, you just need to look at your environment and determine how you’ll be in that group. You’ll need family, you’ll need defenses, you’ll need supplies. Same issues in rural areas, just different solutions.

The guys that think they’ll do better in a new environment with few family members, no friends and few supplies, well that’s more like hoping the grass will be greener on the other side.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    There will be survivors almost everywhere, you just need to look at your environment and determine how you’ll be in that group. You’ll need family, you’ll need defenses, you’ll need supplies. Same issues in rural areas, just different solutions.

The guys that think they’ll do better in a new environment with few family members, no friends and few supplies, well that’s more like hoping the grass will be greener on the other side.
    The grass is greener when you leave the desert, but there are other issues!

I live in an area where there are probably quite a few real "bug out people". They are among the homeless, nomad camps and since they're still camping around here, they must have what it takes to make it. Our temperature today is going to get up to freezing maybe.

A lot of these folks are getting SSI Disability Checks, and I don't count them along the true nomads. The ones I'm talking about don't set up permanent camps, and are on the move. They usually have a decent back-pack, sleeping bag, and their version of all weather clothing.

I could have done this, and did for a few periods of my life back when I was younger. Now at the age of 65, -- naaahh. I've reached my "stand and fight" days. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    One of the reasons I left suburbia.

I am bugging-in. Have established friendships with the locals. Do minor gun repairs and when things got bad this year, made some hunting ammunition for two of the poorer guys. They know I shoot and used to compete. that earns a lot of respect.

SHTF bugging out is a death sentence unless someone has a place to go that is stocked with stuff and are they known to the locals. Where I live, outsiders are barely tolerated now. We call them trespassers or violators.

There are thousands of acres of state land around me. It will attract citiots looking to escape. But when the SHTF, there is no "state" or "rule of law". The locals will consider the resources on state land as "theirs" and act accordingly. It will not be pretty.

I have wondered if bugging out to a military base and "camping" outside the perimeter makes sense for citiots. They might not kill those looking to escape and may provide "law and order". I would expect refugees would have to surrender weapons to stay. The big issue would be food. If the base could not be supplied, it gets "tricky".
    Don Verna

I told this story before, but it's one of my favorites, so I'll post it again in case someone missed it:

My neighbor has a long time friend who is right at 80 years old, was born and grew up in Stalin's post WWII Russia.
    Like most Russians from the period when theirs and their country's history is beyond horrific-
    As is true with most Russians that were still alive by 1950---- she's tougher than Chinese Algebra.

She still has that classic, English as a second language, Russian accent.
    It's so cool, I could sit and listen to her read the phone book all day.

When someone mentions 'bugging out', and how they'd handle it-
    I think of one of her stories about growing up somewhere between Stalingrad and the German border.

She tells a story of talking to some young lady about the collapse of society and 'normal life' one time.
    "Go to the store? Good luck. It is big burned spot. So is most all of village".

The young lady then went off into how people required such and such vitamins, and so many calories a day....
    Then she tried to finish the story while laughing...

She said, "I listen, but am laughing and thinking to myself,,,, I'm am thinking,
    If what happens here like what it did in my country, you'll be dead in three days".

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master

good thing you wise up and left LA, the new base of operations is night and day different from there. I figure that if I can not make it here, I sure aint going to make it elsewhere. here I know the ground and where things are, elsewhere I would be lost.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

The Russian Lady is wrong. Most will start to expire on day 7 to 10. The stores will "Last" 3 days before they are all bought out/looted out/burned out. This will be followed by 2 to 4 days of Bing Eating/Drinking/and other debauchery acts. After that point; the low life types will start going door to door breaking in and stealing and committing debauchery acts to what will emerge as the Victimhood Masses. Those who will survive will be those who are capable of RUTHLESS ACTION against those who would prey on others.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

In any SHTF scenario, I think the real Hell-Holes will be in the more densely populated areas, starting with the cities. Probably spreading from there, and slowing down as time goes by. (and more people die)

I hate to be a doom-sayer, but my prediction is that when the worst happens, it will be accompanied by or simply caused by loss of electricity and other essential utilities. In the northern half of this nation, this will cause horrific death and suffering, and probably the population will be decimated by 80 or 90 percent in a very short period of time.

Most folks aren't prepared to take the family camping and traveling in sub-zero weather, and the people who are won't comprise large groups. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

I've posted on these threads before, because I am a shameless prepper.

One can go on endlessly about which rifle in what caliber, how much food, a water source, etc., etc. But when it happens, and it likely will due to one cause or the other of many possible, you'll likely perish sooner or later. One or two or three good men and families can't prevail against a band of 100 hungry and motivated looters.

Distance helps, terrain helps, and a fortified small homogenous community may survive. But that survival will be half-way back to the Stone Age without electricity, gasoline, antibiotics, etc. I have much of what is needed but due to my age and my wife's disabilities I'll stand and fight. When they get to your house there will be a few less.

If you believe in "bugging out", a term which I personally find deplorable, you'd do well to bug out before the necessity arises. When relocating, consider distance, terrain, resources, community, neighbors.

DG

Yeah, the bug-out thing isn't gonna work for most of us who own a home, a lifetime of material possessions, family, friends, pets, etc. We'll be sitting and waiting for the "New World Order Enforcement Troops" to pull into the yard with their armored transport vehicle and kill us or take us to the proper camp. jd

Bugging in around LA may not be a good option. In order to bug in, or fort up you need a water supply.

If the LA basin looses power in a few hours there is no water.

For getting out, think ocean. In good weather even a rowboat gives you better odds than the desert. Medium sized sailboat with solar + desalinator = much better odds. Also you don't have to carry every single thing you have. The boat carry's it. Even a canoe beats hiking.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Buddy
    I think a Get-Home kit/bag is probably a more appropriate name for what many call a Bug-Out bag. Enough supplies to give me a better chance to get from work to the house if things get sour while I’m on the clock. I have no illusions of playing Rambo in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    I think a Get-Home kit/bag is probably a more appropriate
    That's one of the best ideas I've heard.

If I wasn't totally shameless-- I'd feel terrible for stealing it.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    I think a Get-Home kit/bag is probably a more appropriate name for what many call a Bug-Out bag. Enough supplies to give me a better chance to get from work to the house if things get sour while I’m on the clock. I have no illusions of playing Rambo in the woods.
    That makes sense and is practical. But I have seen some huge BOB’s. Stuffed with food, little stoves, three or four knives, sleeping stuff, tent, hundreds of rounds of ammunition, Lee loaders, etc etc. Just stupid.

Some must weigh 60-70 lbs. Those are the folks that will get picked off first. Hard to run with that much stuff and they are “married” to it and will not drop it and run.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

The first thing I would do in SHTF is leave all my guns, ammo, food, water and shelter.

Not.

But I have already bugged out of suburbia.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Cast Boolits Owner

I believe most folks are disillusioned by YouTube videos. Vehicles will be of little use when the time comes as the roads will be jammed, fuel will be scarce and few people are in good enough shape to carry the bug out bag they have carefully prepared any amount of distance. If a person or group decides to set out on foot they better be prepared for challenges along they way as they pass through other peoples area.

For me, I am sheltering here. Nobody knows this area better then me and my neighbors. Folks who show up here better be on their best behavior because we will most likely be aware of them long before they are aware of us.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast