Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data Wideners

Thread: I'm on a 1903 rifle kick.

Thumbs up I'm on a 1903 rifle kick.

Could use some pictures and stories.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

'03s...what hasn't been said? I looked through my computer picture files, but couldn't locate any. I've got several. My favorite, a '03 that I bought from CMP, a return from Greece. Rock Island in issued and used condition, but overall V.G. with a great bore.

Another, which I bought in a surplus store around 1966, a Remington transition 03 - 03A3, mostly '03 but with stamped barrel bands and floorplate. Just about new condition.

Next, one each '03 and '03-A3 sporters. One Springfield and one Remington.

Lastly, a pair of low number '03s that were created by the old Fed Ord Co. They got some receivers that are very badly pitted below the wood line (very badly) and assembled rifles using unissued or like new parts. They look like new rifles, but being low number receivers I have only fired them with .30-30 level loads and cast boolits. Since they have new barrels they shoot very well.

Just a general commentary -- they were the National sweetheart rifle for many years. Many books and articles about them. I never got into them as heavily as I did Krags and Mausers. I like the '03 family, but not as well as the two just mentioned. They were still heavily used in WW II, some in Korea, and naturally those who trained with them and carried them have a great fondness for them, just like I do the M1 Garand. I like and respect the '06 cartridge, but prefer the .30-40 for absolutely no logical reason at all. I could never figure why Springfield Armory went with the cone breech design. They largely copied the '98 Mauser rifle, which doesn't use it.

DG

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Mine is a high number Springfield that came with a shot out High Standard barrel . I found a new old stock barrel and had that installed and it shot just fine . Since the stock was as ugly as a mud fence , I started looking at stocks . I ended up sending a Michigan cherry wood blank to a fella in Pennsylvania who cut it and a new hand guard to a type seven configuration . The wood and metal was sent to Dean's Gun Refinishing for final fitting and parkerization .

It's a rather handsome range plinker , and I've got cast loads for that battle sight zeroed for the forty yard range . It gets used way more than I thought it would .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    Mine is a high number Springfield that came with a shot out High Standard barrel . I found a new old stock barrel and had that installed and it shot just fine . Since the stock was as ugly as a mud fence , I started looking at stocks . I ended up sending a Michigan cherry wood blank to a fella in Pennsylvania who cut it and a new hand guard to a type seven configuration . The wood and metal was sent to Dean's Gun Refinishing for final fitting and parkerization .

It's a rather handsome range plinker , and I've got cast loads for that battle sight zeroed for the forty yard range . It gets used way more than I thought it would .

Jack

Pics please!

Boolit Master
    I built a '43 remington 03a3 from a drill receiver this summer, nos 11-43 Remington 2 groove barrel, reproduction stock and handguard, and all remington or GI parts, no pictures though.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Don't do it! I've been on such a kick since I was knee-high to a short sheep! I don't need any more competition!

Once upon a time, I had a .30-06 R.F. Sedgley Sporter built on a 1903 Springfield

Last edited by pietro; 02-13-2022 at 10:00 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    My Father was in Panama from early 1942 till early 1944. He was in the Bushmaster Platoon that patrolled the Canal. He carried one of the Bushmaster 03 carbines, it was a standard rifle that had been cut down to about 18 inches.

The first time he told me about it was in a gun shop, he picked up a 03 and told me what had been done. He said they only shot at 100 yds, it shot well but was loud and had a fireball. I have a picture of him setting on a Jeep hood with the rifle, can't see it very good but he said that's what it was. The rifles were turned in when they were issued Thompson's. I remember him being upset when an American Rifleman article said they were dumped in the ocean.

When he returned to the States he was a DI at Camp Blanding in Stark, Florida.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	629F91D8-6313-40A7-933C-B0439EF8DC34.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	296216
    When I retired 5 years ago I bought three Springfields back to back to back, a M2 and two bubba’ed up ‘03 sporters. The uncut Mk1 is from 1919, the 21 inch is from 1930 and the M2 .22 is barrel dated 5-37. Rebuilt them into these. Fun guns.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 02-24-2022 at 07:33 PM.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Pics please!
    I'd love to , but at my age computers , cameras and hosting sites have never got along real well

My last try was the avatar you see that was done in Michigan cherry wood . Ammo for the target was LC66 M2 ball .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master

My M1903A1 NM built up from a bare receiver that had a sewer pipe barrel. It shoots extremely well now both with cast and jacketed.

Name:	M1903A1 NM png.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	314.0 KB 
ID:	296222

Also have an "as issued" Smith Corona M1903A3 that has only been arsenal inspected at Ogden Arsenal.

Name:	20180210_150524.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	296223
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy

My American Legion Post has 8 1903-A3’s We shoot blanks through them for ceremonies.
    Twice a year we shoot them with live ammo. We have to clean them each time we shoot blanks as they are corrosive.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Don't have any pictures but I saw 8-10 on the rack at Mace Sports, just outside of Burlington, NC, on Friday. They looked to be in great condition and had price tags of $2199. I did not bother to ask to handle. Very proud of them. Clerk said a whole box of rifles had been located and they had bought the whole box.

I was looking for some LRM primers and the clerk said they had some, but not LRM, upfront. I asked the price. He said $20/100. I did not ask about any primers on the way out. It would really be interesting to know the profit margin on these primers.

We will have to remember the vendors that tried to maintain costs during these times and not take advantage of the situation.

I got 3 of them. A low numbered Rock Island made in 1907 that has original barrel, bolt and sights. Stock was a WW2 replacement. I found an early RI finger groove stock set and added it. The second is a Remington 1903 made at end of 1903 production before A3's came on line, May 1942. Original barrel and other parts. Lastly the other is a Smith Corona A3 that I restored. It came to me as a functioning drill rifle in plastic stock with original barrel in great shape. Over years I added a C stock and as many SC parts to it to bring it to it's former glory...

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Mine was my father’s and now is my sons. It was the first center fire rifle I shot.

Boolit Buddy
    You want a story...here's mine:

So I'm at a gunshow and spy a Springfield M1903A1 in a rack with other misc rifles. May I look at it and gage the bore?...Yes. (I have a USGI M1903 throat wear gage.) Throat reads .30375 and bore is nice and bright (used, but plenty of jacketed bullet life left, but then I shoot cast bullets so the bore is super fine for that purpose). .310 would be reject the bbl; .300-.302 would be a new bbl. I wonder why the inside of the action, bolt and extractor are all polished, why the serial number is etched onto the bolt, and why the serial number is stamped on the underside of the buttstock. BBL is 9/30 SA. DAL cartouche and P stamp on the stock. I'm not an expert, but consider myself reasonably knowledgeable. My home is about 20 minutes away. Go home grab the book "Summary Of D.C.M. RIFLE SALES 1922-1942" and there is its serial number listed as a National Match. Back to gunshow...rifle still for sale at $500. No star gage stamping on muzzle. I show the seller that the bbl band is on backwards ("U" pointing to rear, not to the front as it should). May I carefully correct the bbl band so it's proper...Yes. Remove band to turn it around...now the upper hand guard can be removed...sure enough, under the hand guard and stamped into the bbl is its star gage record number. Why no star gage mark on muzzle, I have no idea...maybe they forgot...maybe it was ordered that way...who know's, but it's the real deal.

$500 and it's mine! Nice wood; shoots nice; I've never shot a jacketed bullet through it, only M160 frangibles, 311291's and 311284's. Springfield Research Service sends me a copy of the government's 3x5 index card showing the date it was sold in 1930, who sold to and their city, state. The research cover letter has a typo in the serial number (but not the 3x5 card). I send back asking for a corrected cover letter, but the owner of Springfield Research had now died, so the letter was never corrected. A bit hard to see the etched serial number on the bolt, but it's there.

Name:	D5EC5DCE-8756-4ECA-9F1B-E6DFAD9422B7_1_201_a.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	296345 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DB705210-D3F1-43D4-88C1-33A97BA88685.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	296347Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BED96EC6-76A8-4427-85B9-382DCFBF807B.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	296348Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9868DC1F-98DA-433D-9B45-AEF9C5A44C70.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	296346

Moderator Emeritus

My "1903 story" is one which always makes me almost teary-eyed! My dad was (U S Army) in the Philippine jungles for but one month short of two years during a high-activity period on these islands. He was issued a Garand but wasted no time -- as, purportedly other members of his group -- swapping for (more reliable) 1903 Springfield's. (The reasons -- primarily, from what I understand, the super-high humidity, rain, rain, and mud, mud guaranteed to them a shot each time trigger was pulled -- their choice!)
    Anyhoos, my dad brought his rifle, as well as one which his best buddy (who didn't make it to go home), back stateside. He moved this, along with my mom, sister, and me for a good many times and year. In his last residence they were stored in attic.
    On a trip, with his health quite failing, he told me to go up and "get the guns". I should have them. BUT THEY WERE GONE!!! Was it a roofer? An A/C person? The people (ironic if so) who installed his home security/alarm system?
    We'll never know. Nor, who/where these are? I do know dad's was made by Rock Island...
    "My" 1903 story. Soooooooooooooo sad to me. I'd have given 'anything' to have possession of that rifle that he carried/used for that war time! He used to joke that all he got from the Philippines was "the Rock Island and a case of Jungle Rot on his right foot."
    geo