RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: What's a fair price for a used DILLON 550b ?

What's a fair price for a used DILLON 550b ?

I have a 550b and and XL650.

I don't use the 550b much, and have been thinking about selling it.

It works wonderfully. has large and small primer setups, the DILLON roller handle and allen wrench set that mounts on the back of the press.

It's great machine, but it tends to sit while I run my XL650

PS - this is not a "for sale" ad. If I decide to sell it, I will post it at my gunclub to sell locally
    Last edited by derek45; 01-08-2022 at 12:58 PM.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Grand Master
    Regardless of what folks here "think" it is worth, I would go to eBay on "completed sales" and see what they are selling for then deduct the sellers fee.

I would use that as a "market value". If you want to offer it here for less that is your choice.

I would list it on eBay at a starting bid 10% below market and see what happens. It costs you nothing but time.

I doubt you will get maximum value on any gun forum. Everyone is looking for a "deal". My opinion might tick off some folks (looking for bargains) put it is my experience. About the only stuff I sell here anymore are things I cannot list on eBay, or minor stuff that is not worth much anyway.

BTW, sold a 1050 here a few years ago and regretted it. Sold a Star here and it was a fair deal. Sold a Green Machine on eBay and got more than I expected.
    Don Verna

Don't make any offers to buy on this thread, please. It is not in S&S!
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Don gave good advice on determining the price. I would recommend keeping it - it isn’t eating much, and the 550 is the one I would keep if all others went away.
    Tony

Cool

You can do auctions on this site. I would also mention, details and quality pictures help in sales ALOT.
    On the other hand, later down the road, it's paid for and quite a bit cheaper to change cartridges for than the 650. I'd keep it. Or give it to some nice member on cast boolits
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master
    op said he was going to advertise it at his local gun club.
    if Dillon is still backed up and there is still a 2 month or more wait for new equipment If its in perfect condition with extras I would think 10 percent less than retail
    with no tax added would be a fair deal for anyone who wants one. I would not discount it more than 25 percent of retail. with Dillon warranty anyone who has one that's maybe missing parts or broken can send it back to Dillon for free repair at least that's what Dillon used to do.

Banned

thought i could get away with only one 550 when i bought my two lnls. What a mistake. Should have kept it and dumped the lnls.

ADMIN

Dillon 550s are easily priced as they are a common item.
    Depending on the day I would say $600-$700.
    If it was mine I would eBay it as there are several.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Grand Master

I would look at completed sales on Ebay and Gunbroker for ideas. Before the pandemic you could expect 75-80% of the new cost for a good clean one. Now, all bets are off. I steered a buddy onto one that was very clean and had lots of extras for 75% on the current new price recently.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    thought i could get away with only one 550 when i bought my two lnls. What a mistake. Should have kept it and dumped the lnls.
    Lloyd is correct....got a second 550 and one is set up for small primers and the other is set up for large primers....makes my life better plus I added a light system that goes in the middle and it really lights up the cartridges as they rotate through the cycle!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Did you check over at the Brian Enos forums? Lots of Dillon fans there and though I haven’t been there recently, there used to be a lot of activity on their classified (for sale) subforum.

ETA: I couldn’t see the classified subforum until I logged in, so it seems you have to be registered. There is also a minimum post count to sell an item but I do t recall any for just browsing.

Don't forget listing it in a Local Craig's list ad. Dillon 550's turn up all the time there from $400 to $500. I think they're fair prices to start a listing on and it's easier than shipping a press.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Bub
    i would say 400.00

I mentioned it to a friend at work.

He called a friend and I sold it to him for $400

He will enjoy it, I will press on with my wonderful XL650

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

I would say whatever the current new price is. That is because you can't buy a new one right now due to orders backed up.

Also lots of people are getting into reloading right now so there is a high demand for reloading equipment. High Demand on anything means prices go up ^^^ !

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Bub
    eBay definitely has the perks of getting your product seen by lots of folks - but dang, do their fees hurt. When 12-13% comes off the sale price, that’s quite the haircut.

Glad you got it sold locally, OP!

Boolit Master

It all depends on what's included, conversion kits, tool heads, powder drop assy, priming assy, dies can add up pretty quick.
    But a base 550b that can run a single caliber progressively can easily fetch 4 benjamins.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Conversion kits and accessories are worth more than anything and have been much harder to get. If you are selling with extras you can demand a premium.

Presses are getting easier to find. I keep seeing them pop back up more often. Act quick if you want to try to take advantage because that window appears to be closing. Could open back up though. Things change with the wind these days.

In stock at doublealpha right now for 548. It’s not a rare item so have to price it below that to compete.