MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Lyman 45 pressure nut

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Lyman 45 pressure nut

Like probably most of you that use the 45, the lube has a tendency to leak past the pressure nut and one ends up with a big wad of lube on top it. It's really no big deal but to me this has been an aggravation since I started using this tool 40 plus years ago. So, to fix this I decided to make a new pressure nut and use a hydraulic U-cup for a hydraulic piston, kinda like on a grease gun. I found the right size on ebay along with the somewhat bastard 3/8x20 tpi tap. Turned the nut from a piece of cold rolled stock about .020" smaller than the ID of the lube reservoir, turned a boss on the nut to allow alignment of the cup on the nut. Drilled and tapped for the feed screw. I then super glued the cup onto the nut so I could turn off the inside lip of the cup. Found, just by accident, a washer with the right diameter to fit inside the cup to retain it. Drilled and tapped 4-4x40 tpi holes, countersunk them to accept the flathead screws and VOILA, no more leaking.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

Nice work!

Boolit Master
    When do you go into production? After the patent clears?

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

Would you kindly post the link to the U-Cup seal.

Cheers,

David

Boolit Grand Master

A unique solution to the leaking skirt on the original 45 nut.

Most will find it easier to simply swap in the current 4500 nut.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fc60 View Post
    Greetings,

Would you kindly post the link to the U-Cup seal.

Cheers,

David
    Go to ebay and enter 20-60mm PU Rod Seal Hydraulic U-Cup UN-Type For Hydraulic Piston Cylinder. I ordered the 22x29x5 and it fits my reservoir perfectly.

imashooter2: "Most will find it easier to simply swap in the current 4500 nut." You are, of course, correct but why spend 10 minutes doing something that I can waste a couple of hours on plus have it cost more (seal and tap) to achieve the same result?
    Last edited by roysha; 01-10-2022 at 03:28 AM.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Grand Master

It was a good project and a nice result. Who amongst us hasn’t spent 3 days and $10 to save $5?
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Moderator Emeritus

Nice work.
    What are the odds of success using that hydraulic U-cup seal and a modified steel washer, with the existing Pressure nut (with brass ring removed)?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Nice work.
    What are the odds of success using that hydraulic U-cup seal and a modified steel washer, with the existing Pressure nut (with brass ring removed)?
    According to America "You'll never know until you try " .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Nice work.
    I'm sure they would be very good. I debated with myself as to whether to go that route and decided to keep the original pressure nut intact and just make a new one.

Boolit Grand Master
    A dear friend of mine, now sadly departed, was a first class machinist. For small pins, screws and other simple parts, he wouldn’t wait to order and have them shipped, or even drive the 25 or so miles to town… he would make them himself and have the job off his bench and be able to move on to other jobs. Makes sense to me!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    imashooter2: "Most will find it easier to simply swap in the current 4500 nut." You are, of course, correct but why spend 10 minutes doing something that I can waste a couple of hours on plus have it cost more (seal and tap) to achieve the same result?

It's called satisfaction. lol.