MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Mossberg 500 slug gun????

Boolit Master

Question Mossberg 500 slug gun????

I have an offer of this: Mossberg 500 12ga. with the 24" rifled and ported slug barrel with cantilever scope mount, barrel is Mossberg and ported by them. The whole gun is the price of a 18"-20" barrel if you could find them. 5 + 1 mag tube, looks like an older factory setup. Would it work for both slugs and round balls?

I have an older 500 with a 28" barrel I have ordered MagPul stock set, mag extension, and clip on sights, just waiting for the 18.5" or 20" barrel to come of back order. Could put the stock set on the rifled gun.

Would you buy the slug gun if priced right?

Boolit Grand Master

I certainly would! That's what I've been looking for!

Personally I'd rather have the rifle sights but the cantilever barrel wouldn't be a deal breaker.

And yes, full bore round balls should be fine in the rifled barrel. Not sure about RB's in shotcups but if tight fit they should work.

My rifled barrel experience is limited to one shooting session with a rifled Remington 870 and 0.735" RB's. Accuracy was very good.

I sent some 0.735" RB's to Bloodtrail for testing. He posted results a few months ago. He also got good accuracy. Do a search for his write up.

As a note, the barrel to receiver fit of my Mossberg 500 Slugster smoothbore was pretty sloppy so I made a shim to tighten the fit.

From shooting results to date I can't say for sure it helped but it certainly can't hurt. Fit was really sloppy before.

Longbow

Boolit Master

Why change the stock? Buy the gun and a decent scope as the cantilevered barrel is pretty stable. As longbow says, a shim from a beer can will tighten things up as need be. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05CF3699-E922-464E-8164-0D977CF71208.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	294193 This is 100 yds with Lyman slug.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    I got a chance to buy a 500 years ago. Came with about 100 slugs and 100 buck shot give or take a few. Two smooth bore barrels one 19.5" and other 28' vent rib. Guy said he couldn't hit a deer standing 50 feet in front of him with the short barrel to save his life. I replied, why would I want it if you can't hit anything with it? Knowing he had just spent a pretty penny the week before at the LGS. He told me the price. Couldn't get the money out of my pocket fast enough.

I sold the slugs for the cost of everything. I cast the lee 7/8-ounce slug and shoot it out of the 18.5" barrel with decent results. Minute of gallon jug at 75 yards with no scope. It's my slug gun for when gallon jugs start to build up around the house.

I would have bought the items and tailored as needed.

Crap now I want a rifled barrel. I hate you guys.

Hogtamer that is a nice group for a slug gun.
    Last edited by Outer Rondacker; 01-07-2022 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Measured barrel it was longer then I though
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Thumbs up

Hogtamer that is a nice group for a slug gun. ....OR

No OR, that was an outstanding group!

Boolit Master

Here’s the “magic” that works in my 870… https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ight=Lyman+525
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    I'm a 500 fan and have always been one , it's never a bad time to pick up a 500 at the cost of a rifled slug barrel .

Vendor Sponsor

The slug barrel is just that, slugs. It spins buckshot so fast it opens up like a kitchen funnel when it leaves the muzzle.

I have the ported cantilever slug barrel and it cloverleafs a playing card at 100yds. Not too bad really, especially for $2 a box Walmart slugs.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 01-07-2022 at 10:28 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Would I buy it?? Heck Yeah!! I did buy one, traded for it actually, with a friend. Got 3 barrels, 20" VR w/ports, 28" VR w/ports and the 24" ported cantilever rifled barrel. It shoots slugs or roundballs great (cantilever barrel)! I have an 870 Express (21" VR ) smoothbore, they called it the Turkey model. It's always shot slugs well, last year I bought a Carlson's rifled choke tube for it, it shoots the same RB load as the 500 almost as well. It's hard to decide which one to hunt with!

YES, buy the 500!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    I have an offer of this: Mossberg 500 12ga. with the 24" rifled and ported slug barrel with cantilever scope mount, barrel is Mossberg and ported by them. The whole gun is the price of a 18"-20" barrel if you could find them. 5 + 1 mag tube, looks like an older factory setup. Would it work for both slugs and round balls?

I have an older 500 with a 28" barrel I have ordered MagPul stock set, mag extension, and clip on sights, just waiting for the 18.5" or 20" barrel to come of back order. Could put the stock set on the rifled gun.

Would you buy the slug gun if priced right?
    The 500 rifled barrels are surprisingly good shooters. There's no reason not to buy one if you want one. I am curious what kind of mag extension you bought. There's no way to extend a 500 magazine. You can buy an 8 shot magazine, but then you need the 8 shot barrel to go with it.

Boolit Master
    I ordered the Mag extension with out reading. I shot doubles and just got my first Mossberg that I was told built in the late 80's then a friend offered this one.

I have same gun. Buy it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    I ordered the Mag extension with out reading. I shot doubles and just got my first Mossberg that I was told built in the late 80's then a friend offered this one.
    I'm sorry to say there's no such animal as a magazine extension for a 500. It's possibly for a 590. If you haven't bought anything yet, what you can do is put both a 500 8 shot magazine, and 500 8 shot barrel on your gun. You can also buy a 590 magazine, and 590 barrel, but 590 barrels are hit or miss on availability. You can add extensions on a 590 magazine. All 12 gauge Mossberg pump actions share the same exact frame, except the 3 1/2" models which are longer, but will still fit the same magazines and barrels. They are easy to change, the magazines are simply threaded into the frame.

My first M500 was a $200 Big 5 18" HD/Riot gun. At the time Brownell's sold the 20" barrel with sights and the Mag tube for $110! So that's what I bought. They are more than that now!

Here's what the gun looks like with that barrel installed. It has evolved over time to this.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464676.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Randy is a good Mossberg 500 salesman! He talked me into the one I bought. I'm glad he did!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Several years ago in my searching I ran across a used 20 gage 500 with both smooth and a rifled slug barrel for the cost of a slug barrel , I have never regretted purchasing it .
    I doubt you will either

The Mossberg Gun has several advantages over the Rem 870. I was playing with a brand new one yesterday and showing the sales guy the problems. it was an 870 18" with wood furniture. It was made well and the fit and finish was as good as you are going to see in a gun priced at $520 new. This gun was current production made a month or so ago.

The problems with the gun are in the Lifter, the Bolt Release and the Safety.

The Safety is located at the rear of the trigger guard and is just fine for Right Handers. However the Mberg Safeties are located on the rear of the Receiver and are Ambi. So that is an advantage for all as even if you are right handed and some how get hurt you can still run the Safety with your left hand equally as well as the right, or vice versa.

Next the Bolt Release. On an 870 it is located on the front of the trigger guard and this requires you to operate it with your Trigger Finger, thus having to reposition it for that operation which takes time going both ways. The Mberg Bolt Release is behind the trigger guard and is operated by your middle finger and is again "Ambi." It requires no repositioning of your hand to operate. NO time lost at all!

Last is the Lifter and this is a problem that they could easily remedy. The Lifter has a protrusion or bump half way up it. I have been told this is there so that when you are laying your side on the ground, like shooting under a car, that the rounds will not fall out when you rack the slide? The Mbergs will allow this to happen. However the down side of this is that if the slide is moved forward even a slight amount off the back, the lifter pops up and blocks the Ejection Port. This prevents you from loading a round into the Ejection Port. If you run the gun dry and are being shot at it is a good idea to be able to single load the gun so you can return fire instead of standing in the open and loading the magazine while being shot at? just sayin'

Where this really becomes a problem is as the gun breaks in it get looser and you will have a tendency to bounce the slide off the rear limit, and in this case as soon as the slide stars forward the lifter pops up and blocks the port. There is an Aftermarket Lifter available without the bump that can be installed that fixes this problem.

If you are a Duck Hunter your gun will be plugged to only let 2 rounds into the magazine. So here comes a flight of 6-8 ducks and you blast the first 3 and then amaze your hunting buddies by Port Loading the next three rounds in about 3 seconds knocking down 3 more ducks! Yes you can do it.

I did a 3 gun last Sunday and the Shotgun Stage was 10 rounds. My gun holds 6 and then I Port Loaded the last 4. Total time for the stage was 17 seconds! One guy shooting a Benelli M4 with 10 rounds on board beat me, the rest fumbled with their Semi Autos. I was the only one shooting a pump gun.

The Mossberg Pumps are simply faster to run than 870's and the new 590's and 590A1's are much more robust guns, and that's why our Military uses them.

I also have a Rifled Barrel that I can use on two of my m500's and it produces very tight groups with STI slugs.

So this is why I like the Mossbergs over the Remington 870's.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-09-2022 at 05:05 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

It was Randy's numerous diuscussions of the Mossberg 500 that urged me to take advantage of the trade I spoke of above. Not sorry, at all! They are a superb shotgun, and I was an 870 guy until I owned an M500!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown