Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you wear while casting

Boolit Grand Master

Shorts, slippers and a leather glove on my right hand.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    A kilt!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    If I’m honest, the only things I’ve always worn every single time I cast boolits are eye protection, long pants, closed shoes and socks. Most of of the time I’ve also used long sleeves and a thin leather glove on my right hand. This is with a bottom pour where the most spillage I’ve had is drips out of the spout or off the mold, all of which are caught by an ingot mold under the spout.

Contrast that with the area around my 250# processing pot that has alloy all over from bumps to the ladle holding up to 10# of molten alloy, spillage moving it over the molds and splashes pouring into them. There’s also spatter from heated voids in the solid scrap popping off if I play a weed burner over the top to speed melting. Here I’m covered head to toe: hat, face shield, buttoned up long sleeve with leather apron and arm guards, doubled gloves, denim jeans and leather uppered shoes.

Boolit Master
    euro thong, with fuzzy pink flip flops, thats in winter, in summer sometimes less.

Boolit Master
    When its cold then its sweats coat shoes heat on in the shop, when warm its shorts t shirt sandals. same when smelting down lead into ingots.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you are using a bottom pour, add a large cookie sheet under it.

I used to also wear a respirator as I had elevated lead levels from shooting in a poorly ventilated indoor range many years ago...i would not need it now. If casting with poor ventilation (I have seen pictures of guys doing it in a closed space) add the respirator and the right filters for it.

A bucket of water nearby if you get burned and a fire extinguisher...just in case things go south.
    Don Verna

Nothing special. Whatever i was wearing that day. No gloves. I cast on my covered back porch.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Banned

........khakis?

Boolit Master

Many years ago an expert welder advised me to wear well starched denim shirt & jeans. NO synthetics. It is not always convenient to follow the "well starched" advice but the only difference in results seems to be whether spatters stick to it or not. Other than that I'm always well covered even in summer. Should mention that I cast in my heated/cooled shop. Since I rely on a ceiling trap door for venting instead of a duct-ed fan exhaust, I'm apparently not long for this world. Since I'm 79, the same would apply regardless.
    John
    W.TN

I have been casting for 45y, I dont wear any special protective gear but a glove on my left hand for holding the mold. If using my Magma & fan unit, I wear a n95 mask. Never had a tinsel fairy event or anything else. Agree on not wearing anything poly, though I have, a spatter will burn a hole instantly.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Leather gloves, cargo shorts, knit shirt, glasses (been wearing glasses since 2nd grade!), work shoes. Get the occ pinhead-sized splatter on a knee, and have survived those. And am careful...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

At minimum, safety glasses and long sleeve shirt. Use a towel in the lap if I'm wearing shorts. Usually an old ball cap to protect my scalp - tinsel fairy causes aerial drops.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Jeans, fireplace gloves, eye pro, and boots.

Boolit Buddy
    I cast naked - makes me extremely focused on what I'm doing.

Boolit Mold
    Shorts, tank top and sandals 😂😂😂😂

Boolit Bub
    I started started wearing my welding coat after this. Some of it ended up going down my leaving some nice spots on my waist line.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3A7C2D26-4AE0-4E5D-8E4C-1BF550D8FC02.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	294441

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EBF20A63-E339-4F0F-BC26-3AF85EDC4DA9.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	294442

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the reminder Glwenzl. A lot of us get a little too comfortable sometimes. I never forget my safety glasses, but I should do better with the rest of my dress.

Boolit Grand Master

Cotton pants, cotton shirt, cotton apron, leather shoes, leather gloves, glasses.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Bub
    Not to hijack this thread and delete my post if it’s not on topic.

I would like to know what you do with your clothing after a tinsel fairy event?

I threw my coat and shirt away but I’m not sure if I should try to clean the lead stuck on my cotton pants and wash them or just pitch them?

I was going to scraped off all I could, then wash and wear them… got to thinking about small pieces coming off in the washer… potential x-wear or damage to the washer and the possibility of a piece ending up in another load and someplace where the grandkids could get into it….

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Glwenzl View Post
    Not to hijack this thread and delete my post if it’s not on topic.

I would like to know what you do with your clothing after a tinsel fairy event?

I threw my coat and shirt away but I’m not sure if I should try to clean the lead stuck on my cotton pants and wash them or just pitch them?

I was going to scraped off all I could, then wash and wear them… got to thinking about small pieces coming off in the washer… potential x-wear or damage to the washer and the possibility of a piece ending up in another load and someplace where the grandkids could get into it….
    When I was actively acquiring WW that I had to clean up, I wore a dedicated set of duck bib overalls and whatever old shirt was still wearable. Always had a pair of old shoes that the overall legs mostly covered.

The overalls and shirts had various spits of lead but nothing like a tensile fairy episode would deposit. I just washed them and didn't worry about the clinging lead drops. No kids in the house and I don't think whatever amount of lead that came off in the wash would present a problem.
    John
    W.TN

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast