Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you wear while casting

What do you wear while casting

I cast in cooler weather and can wear safety glasses, leather boots, wool pants, long sleeve shirt, hat, gloves and leather apron. Am I missing anything?

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Gloves, glasses, shoes with pants over tops (boots if pants don't reach shoes), and usually short sleeves. I'm pretty careful with making sure new ingots are dry and pre-warmed and I very rarely feel any spatter to the arms. And I cast sitting down. I'm not supposed to stand still in one place for long. (DVT)
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    leather apron /gloves .long sleeved cotton shirt my glasses and a cloth bandanna.i cast sitting down .

Boolit Master
    I cast year round. When need more I cast more. I use a Lee 4-20 and sit at my purpose-built casting table. When its cold: hat, glasses, sweatshirt, blue jeens, tennis shoes. When it's hot: hat, glasses, T-shirt, shorts, tennis shoes.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksgrampa View Post
    I cast in cooler weather and can wear safety glasses, leather boots, wool pants, long sleeve shirt, hat, gloves and leather apron. Am I missing anything?
    Nope...don't think so. My 'typical' is about the same except for work jeans and a canvas welder's apron.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Fire retardant coveralls one set when melting scrap as its a dirty job , other for casting bullets . Cotton clothes , leather gloves , safety glasses .

Moderator Emeritus

Wool is tough to clean spatters off from. I use a pair of carhart bibs to cover them.
    If I were to have a dedicated set of casting clothes it would be all cotton and heavily starched. Weld splatter rolls off that and expect melted alloy would too.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

All you are missing is a good hat and fresh underwear. If you are smelting a bunch of crud for ingots don't put your head over the pot and stay upwind.

Boolit Buddy
    Most of the time, shorts, T-shirt and flip-flops. Before anyone cautions me, yes I know this is probably not advisable and I've only poured molten lead onto my leg once. That's all it took, now I move slow, smoothly and carefully. If I have enough foresight to plan a casting session I try and wear jeans and closed toed leather shoes.

Best advice I can give to anyone is to wear only cotton. Nylon and the other glorified plastics that we call clothing nowadays will only melt to one's skin. I'm sure there is an entire generation of veterans that remember being in Afghanistan and Iraq during the winter and being told we cannot wear our cold weather clothing because of this.

Moderator Emeritus

Jeans, Tee-shirt, and shoes ...one standard leather work glove and safety glasses with "reader" bifocals.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

After a lapse of thought, caution, and common sense that caused me to get well splattered, burned, and decorated the ceiling:
    Now days---
    I only wear long pants, an expendable blue jean jacket to complement my welding gloves, and wrap around safety glasses.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Leather gloves, old blue jeans, old long sleeve cotton shirt summer or winter, old tennis shoes, rap around safety glasses, and sometimes a shop apron. I always sit while casting. I cast in my # two garage in the entrance, I'm lucky to have a seperate garage from the house. It's my wood working and reloading area + room to park my Pickup. Just very fortunate to have all this much room for stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    I wear what ever I have on at the time. Usually jeans, tee shirt, socks and crocks. This is while casting bullets or smelting wheels and lead into ingots. A couple of years ago I splashed a little lead onto my foot while pouring ingots and it burned me pretty good as I was wearing crocks. I had a few really sore blisters on my toes and in between for awhile but they healed up. A year later, after I saved up 3 more buckets of all lead wheel weights, I was at it again and wore the same crocks but was a little more careful. All went well that time. Learn from experience. What doesn't kill you will make you stronger,... except bears,...bears will kill you.

Blue jeans, ropers, and pearl snap shirts- you know, everyday wear. I usually cast on cold days because casting when it's above 100° isn't on my fun list.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Pretty much wear the same as most here. Jeans, old L/S shirt, hat, loafers, glasses, and cotton gloves while sitting.

Boolit Master
    I see not many wear a hat.I proctect the dome for sun,bumps,scrapes,lead spatter and anything else that might hurt

Boolit Master
    A bathrobe and slippers. I should be more safety conscious no doubt. So far no burns.

Boolit Master
    Boots, jeans with leather chaps, gloves, face shield, hat and jean long sleeve shirt with a leather vest. Well, that is what I started with. Now just normal daily get up. Jeans boots T shirt with shield and still use the gloves.

I have had a pot explode before. It was a used one I had bought from a garage sale full of lead. Looks like they may had tried to clean it up before the sale and got water in the pot. This is why I kept my distance while it was heating up. Pot works good now.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Wool is tough to clean spatters off from. I use a pair of carhart bibs to cover them.
    If I were to have a dedicated set of casting clothes it would be all cotton and heavily starched. Weld splatter rolls off that and expect melted alloy would too.
    I’ve picked pieces of splattered lead out of my Carharts many times. Now I wear a heavy denim shop apron. If the lead doesn’t shake off, it stays there.

Boolit Grand Master

Blue Jeans worn outside of boots, long sleeve shirt and safety glasses. The Shirt and Jeans both are FR rated, left over from work. I'll add leather gloves if I''m smelting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast