WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox

Thread: A Christmas Gift

Boolit Master

A Christmas Gift

My Lady just got back into town from seeing her Brother & family for Christmas
    I was invited , but I had to many appointments with doctors to join her

Well she came over today and we exchanged gifts
    There was supposed to be a limit on the cost
    But she ignored the limit .... well so did I
    I got her a membership to the Gun Club with the Marsh and Upland fee paid for

She got me a used Browning 22 Hornet A-Bolt Micro Hunter
    It has a Leupold 3-9 X 40 mounted on it and has had the barrel threaded
    A case and some other stuff

She told me she bought me the rifle months ago from her brother
    But just got got to pick it up

The rifle also came with a 3 full boxes of New Winchester 45 gr soft point and 35 new rounds & the 15 empty cases

Her brother had the rifle
    But figured out quick a 22-250 worked a lot better at longer ranges
    So this rifle has sat in the safe unused for a few years

I guess I will be working up a cast bullet squirrel load this winter

Not that I am complaining about feeding another rifle

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

My Democrat brother, not a gun nut, but not an anti-gun nut either, paid the office raffle ticket price of $5.00 for a chance to win a 3-screw Ruger Blackhawk Convertible 45 ACP / 45 Colt, and WON! He gifted me the handgun for Christmas in 1991 and I have pretty much carried it with me since.

In 1996, after the FBI had searched her garage and shed for the 6th time, my anti-NRA, anti-gun, and Democrat Mother, called me to bring her a handgun. Eric Rudolph had bombed the Olympic Park in Atlanta, then escaped to the mountains of Murphy, North Carolina, and took residence in the 20 thousand-acre woods in back of her home there. I handed her that "hog leg" in 45 ACP, showed her how to load and shoot it, shot it with her, left her 50 additional rounds, and that seemed to settle her anxiety. A Security Guard captured Rudolph in 2003 dumpster diving behind the Murphy, NC WalMart. I got the gun back.

Afterward, that pretty much quashed her anti-gun Democrat rhetoric.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

John, My Hornet REALLY likes 225438 and Unique.

Boolit Master

I have the NOE 37 grain 10 cavity Plain base mold.
    My Hornet - a Savage model 40 single shot bolt rifle- loves these bullets when they are powder coated and sized to 0.225".
    I use 3 grains of Unique and have used Dupont Bulk power to give me about 1400 fps. The Bulk powder is at least 80 years old, if not older. 20 shots go into a dime sized hole at 25 meters. The most expensive part of the cartridge is the primer.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    Land Owner,, I like those OM Rugers,, especially the 45's. NICE guns!
    Funny you mentioned Rudolph. I live in WNC,, and far enough away from where he was to not have to worry about searches. But close enough,, to see a lot of what was going on. Some of those agents were totally stupid about the mountains,, & life here,, or such. I recall an agent saying,, on Larry King; "There are rattlesnakes all around there as big as your forearm!" I had to chuckle at his stuff. But for me,, the funniest part was when I took a trip to Fl. to scuba dive. We were on a dive boat,, (the Captain & I had known each other for a long time,) and he asked me about the Rudolph thing, & was I near there. Well, I replied; "Heck,, them mountains are so rough in there,, that they'll never find cousin Ruddy. There's holes & hollars that moonshiners still use that them Feds will not find. He can live there for a LONG time w/o being found." Well, my joking around caused a pair of guys on the boat to question the Captain about me. Apparently they were local cops. After the Captain assured them that he & I were just joking around,, he told them to talk to me. They did,, and I broke up laughing. I explained the terrain,,, and the attitude of the locals towards "feds" would hamper any manhunt. I also allowed how I was NOT kin to Rudolph.
    But after that,, the joke between the Captain & I was fun. I'd call to book a trip,, saying; "Hey,, this is cousin Ruddy,,,,!"

I'm glad to hear your Mother saw the light,,, and at least got a proper education. That 45 is a great gun.

To the OP,, sorry for the thread drift. That Hornet is a sweet round. My helper has one & he loves his. His is in an Encore barrel. Sounds like you have a real "keeper" in your lady friend. A Browning like that is a heck of a nice gift!

Boolit Master
    Johnch;

My Hornets are very sensitive to everything. Mixing brands or lots on cases will make a difference. A change in brand of primers can cause a difference in group size as will 0.10 grain difference in the powder charge. I use Unique for cast loads. Both rifles like Federal small rifle primers, yours may not. If I do my part they will shoot 5 rounds into a very small hole, about .250" diameter, at 25 yards.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.