RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: will prices ever stabilize?

Boolit Master

will prices ever stabilize?

I took a look through gun broker a few days ago and could not believe some of the prices certain lever guns were bid up too. for example I thought of selling my 1980 winchester saddle ring trapper 30-30 a few months back when they were being bid up to 800-900. a few days ago one just like mine in same condition was bid up to right at $1800
    marlins have gone crazy too. seems a 308 mx will easily bring $1500. and hard to find guns like the 1894fg, 41 mag, might go as high as $2500
    and the marlin m1's, 22 rimfire, seems too be bringing as much as $300 or more in excellent condition.
    and 57m marlin maybe as much as $800.

Like gasoline, Gold, used cars, and other commodities-
    The market is always going up & down.

Hence the term 'buy low, and sell high'.

Looking at a long term graph, all prices on almost everything make a up & down, 'zig-zag' pattern that trends upward over time.

For now-- Yeah, they'll stabilize all right, but at higher prices than we are used to seeing.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-07-2022 at 05:10 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

If your using "stabilize" as a synonym for prices going down. I wouldn't count on it.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Don’t forget that auction prices can be higher than normal market prices when there are several bidders bidding against each other.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Like gasoline, Gold, used cars, and other commodities-
    The market is always going up & down.

Hence the term 'buy low, and sell high'.

Looking at a long term graph, all prices on almost everything make a up & down, 'zig-zag' pattern that trends upward over time.
    Long term is obsolete ! Current government has never in our history been in existence , uncharted makes more sense/Ed

Boolit Master
    I believe we have entered a new era in firearm availability and supply availability. Pricing will reflect that as well. The old days are finished and what we were used to a decade ago is not going to be seen again. I used to go to my LGS and select a powder from the dozens of powders on the wall. Primers were bought by the sleeve to test a new potential load and then by the thousand as easily as buying a loaf of bread was. There was never a need to "stock up" since whatever you needed was always going to be on the dealer shelf.

Also of note is the lack of new handloaders in the community. While handloading is arguably for an older, more financially capable customer, a lot of us started into it to save money and load for competitive shooting. Remember PPC? Remember 38 SPL Rat Guns? Remember shooting club reloads? Not any more gents. Those days are behind us and the newer loaders want fodder for their "combat" guns or "sniper rifles."

Even my local range is changing over to satiate the new generation of shooters who show up looking like Special Forces commandos with their "War Belt" on. No kidding - a "War Belt." Like you really need a helicopter signalling device on a War Belt for a Saturday visit to the local range? What the heck? There isn't a wood gun stock in view. By 09:00 it sounds like the Tet Offensive is happening and 90% of the shooters have never even heard of Tet. Ask them what the latest video combat game is however and they will regale you with their online combat prowess.

I really do miss the range time of yesteryear. We used to discuss our handloading and catch up with shooting friends. We would share a cup of coffee and some cakes that Joe's wife made for us to enjoy. If I forgot my lunch, another shooter was always ready to supply another sandwich to me since I was a dope.

We are for sure, in a new era now. A digital era. An era of competitive acquisition of supplies. An era of secrets and internet experts. I for one am not too keen on this new era. I really do miss the days of yesteryear - which were only a few decades ago.

I think I will go load up some black powder cartridges, call my old friend Joe, and plan on some range time this Saturday to aggravate the "combat shooters" trying to "sight in" their "sniper rifle" on the handgun line at 25 yards while peeling paint off the barricade with their muzzle blast. I love smoking the place up and timing my shots to make them jerk their triggers. I look over at Joe and he is grinning from ear to ear knowing well what I am up to.
    Last edited by Tar Heel; 01-07-2022 at 06:33 AM. Reason: word modification

Boolit Master
    Not seeing that much Rambo stuff in my AO thank goodness. But yes, lever gun prices are nutty right now. Our lgs has not had one in stock for months. No room on the rifle rack with all those 6.5 jobbers hogging the space......

I thought Marlin prices were crazy then I was even more surprised what a post 64 model 94 30-30 is bringing, sometimes priced similar to a pre-64. A friend says it’s because of the Yellowstone series. Of course the Walking Dead series help shoot Colt python prices skyward.

Remember this is the time to show your spouse how well planned your purchases were!

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Local pawn shop has a used Marlin 336 in 30/30 Win. For $999! It’s in fair shape, definitely has been carried some, but $999? Not for me, brother! In today’s market, it’s priced correctly,I guess!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

One of my nephews remarked the other day that a coworker offered him a well used Marlin 336-AND a Marlin 39- for his Ruger Mini 30 as an even trade. I advised him to hurry up and seal the deal! That was a very good trade to make even before the "Madness"!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks like it is time to "thin the herd" some more. I have redundant (note:...not useless...LOL) guns I can part with.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    One of my nephews remarked the other day that a coworker offered him a well used Marlin 336-AND a Marlin 39- for his Ruger Mini 30 as an even trade. I advised him to hurry up and seal the deal! That was a very good trade to make even before the "Madness"!

Make the deal and……”run forest run!”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

Better make sure those levers even cycle before agreeing to a trade.

Lately, I'm seeing too many that aren't functioning well. Was offered a "nearly new" (according to the seller) Win 1894 that would hardly cycle a cartridge, might as well have been used as a single shot. When people are offering to trade something, I prefer to shoot them myself first to make an informed decision. Lot of 22's levers and semis that are being brought into gunshops for trade that just plain don't work.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master

In the last 50 years I can say a stable price is always UP. Every 10 years or so we get shocked at the cost of guns.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am not going to lose sleep over the price of guns. Paying a couple of hundred more for something I need is not going to matter. If it is a toy...and let's face it, most are toys, not a big deal...either you can afford it or not. Just a matter of priorities.

I am more worried about the price of food, fuel and vehicles.

Funny how the price of beer and booze seems to be stable....at least for now.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I don't think inflation, devaluation of the dollar, and supply chain issues are going to stabilize any time soon - That's not going to translate well for the price of guns and ammo
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    This one does not seem outrageous; https://www.gunbroker.com/item/920664721

Vendor Sponsor

9 days left.. it will go much higher
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Why would anybody buy mor guns now!!!!!!! Unlike a used car, which most people HAVE to have and prices are sky high now, you do not need another gun right now!!!!!!!!!! Just ask your wife.

I love it......I have

1956 Winchester 30-30 carbine, paid $110
    1959 Winchester 32 WC carbine, paid $225
    1972 Marlin 366A 30-30 rifle, paid $125
    1960 Marlin 336 Texas 30-30 paid $160

I am truly sorry for you late to the party guys, I truly am.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast