Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: How to remove pan lubed bullets cleanly

How to remove pan lubed bullets cleanly

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cutter.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	294181.50 cal. wadcutter punch for for over powder wad or card.

- Drill out the primer pocket of any fired/un-sized case,
    - Insert a "Common" (or masonry) nail into the case/out through the drilled-out pocket....
    - Use open end like cookie cutter over the bullet/through hardened lube/down to bottom of pan...
    - Push bullet out of case using the nail head...

- Repeat

Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master

I have made cookie cutters out of spent cartridges and SS and brass tubing (reamed ID for close fit). A wooden dowel for a punchout tool. I have never had a lube that would allow punching bullets out of a lube cake by hand cleanly, all too soft...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    The only lube I’ve ever used for pan lubing is Emmert’s and it’s just hard enough to take out of the pan in a cake then push the bullets through base first by hand. There’s a fine line between too soft and sticky and so hard it hurts my thumb.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

I don't see how a .50 caliber punch could remove anything other than a .500" bullet. I've tried as other said to use a fired case as a cutter. I had mediocre results. You have to be so careful or else you have lead off the bullet. I prefer to do as Green Frog does and push the bullets out. If that doesn't work, I abandon pan lubing, and dip lube them.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    - Drill out the primer pocket of any fired/un-sized case,
    - Insert a "Common" (or masonry) nail into the case/out through the drilled-out pocket....
    - Use open end like cookie cutter over the bullet/through hardened lube/down to bottom of pan...
    - Push bullet out of case using the nail head...

- Repeat
    Mod 1. Stick a cork from a wine bottle on the pointed end of the nail to make it easier to push out the boolit.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    The only lube I’ve ever used for pan lubing is Emmert’s and it’s just hard enough to take out of the pan in a cake then push the bullets through base first by hand. There’s a fine line between too soft and sticky and so hard it hurts my thumb.

Froggie

That!
    If I'm in a hurry or don't let it cool enough I'll use the cutter but in my case, that always gets a little messy. Once the cake is nice and firm at room temp I lay the cake face-up on an old towel and break them loose by pushing each nose down, after that they can be removed in either direction. I don't put the cake in the fridge because it's too easy to crack it.
    Last edited by JSnover; 01-09-2022 at 10:44 AM.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I arrange bullets nose-up in a 9 inch square cake pan, first putting them nose-down in .45 cartridge box inserts, inverting the pan, then holding the two box inserts with 100 bullets GENTLY turning the pan right side up. Remove the cartridge box spacers to leave evenly-spaced, nose-up bullets. Pour hot, melted lube over the bullets up to their crimp groove and then let rest at room temperature until half-hard. Move pan to refrigerator to harden fully overnight. Remove pan from frig and GENTLY invert pan over a towel so that the chilled, shrunken lube cake releases freely of it's own weight from the pan. Let the cake rest to attain room temperature and then push bullets out with thumb pressure only against their noses.

Replace emptied lube cake back into pan, drop more bullets base down into the holes. Warm oven at 225 degrees to let lube melt and flow to lube next batch. Let slow cool in oven overnight to half-hard before moving to refrigerator to chill. Every third batch need to top off with more melted lube.

I use 50-50 olive oil - beeswax in .44-40, .45 Colt, etc.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 01-09-2022 at 12:03 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.