Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ay propane tank experts here?

Boolit Master

Ay propane tank experts here?

I have three 20# propane tanks that have at least half full liquid in them but when I open the valve I get nothing. two of the tanks came from an auction so are unknowns but one I just took off of a grill of mine that I have not used for several years. I know this tank had a fair amount in it when I stopped using the grill and it was connected the entire time. I just disconnected it today. I cracked the valve open to be sure it had something in it even though I can hear it sloshing and nothing. I thought he others may have been left open and filled with condensation, they are fairly old but that could not have happened with this one. ideas?

Boolit Master
    Open the valve and turn the tank over. If liquid runs out, the valve works and you probably have something other than LPG in the tank. If nothing comes out, the valve isn't working.

Boolit Master
    Some of the newer valves are spring loaded and require a different connector that compresses a ball seal when screwed down.

If you can't get them to work, they still have value. Do the swap/exchange someplace and get fresh ones.

The company that fills and restocks them will purge the tank, put on a new valve,
    and put it back into the system.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    All newer propane tanks since about 1996 under 60 pounds have a back check built in them. It is called an OPD valve. They are triangle shaped. The gas won’t come unless there is an appliance installed. Ask me about propane anytime. It’s been my day job for 37 years. Mike

Boolit Master
    Tar heel, tried that, no water. HW, I will have to hook my burner up and see what happens and Winger, I have never used those exchange places so not sure how that works but I do know they are a lot more money than filling one. I have a few I can still get filled I think.
    I just replaced one of my burner regulators with a new one, I will attach the old one to the tank and see if anything comes out. Then I will invert it and see if it is propane or water on the unknowns if something does come out.

Boolit Master
    Mike, didn't see your reply since I was typing my reply. I know about the OPD but does that pertain to the older tanks with the POL connector? One of the unknown tanks has the older style connector. My burner uses a POL connector on the newer OBD tanks. I will have to send you a picture of the "Death melter". This thing is scary!!! I bought it as is and the seller told me that it came from an estate of a friend whom he knew and he knew the guy used that burner. Well, after bribing the guy at the filling station to fill an undated tank I found out the valve is very iffy. It is nothing, nothing, nothing, ON! Then back, back ,back until you reach a semi safe flame that does not look like a steel smelter. I do not use that one. It is actually a regular lead melter for plumbers but it is old and the valve needs rebuilding. I had to make a new gasket for the flat mating surface between the burner assembly and the tank/valve. First time I fired it up the flames went down around the tank. Good thing I don't scare easily and I had welding gloves on so I could peach in the flames to quickly turn it off. Yep, "Death Melter".
    You can actually see that lead melter in this pic top right of the pic. Not sure if you can zoom in or not.

Last edited by Rickf1985; 01-06-2022 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    I have never used those exchange places so not sure how that works but I do know they are a lot more money than filling one. I have a few I can still get filled I think..
    Yeah, they're high. You pay for the convienence as much as anything.
    You hand them your old/empty one, get a fresh one, pay the lady, and leave.
    This also works well if your little tank is old and due for a hydrostatic test.

Beware: I think it's the 'Blue Rino' company that uses different valves only they can refill with their own adapter.
    Also--- If you already go to a refill place, they should also have new valves for sale that they can refill.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    I am tapping out of this one gents.

Boolit Master
    I was not aware of the Blue Rhino thing, it does make sense they would use proprietary equipment. The prevents you from just dumping your old stuff on them to get a new one and never come back. If you need to take that new tank and then buy a new valve for it you might as well buy a new tank at the local farm store. I thought the fill was right through the POL connection. If that connection is different then it will no longer fit my equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    The prevents you from just dumping your old stuff on them to get a new one and never come back.
    I think they do fill through that.
    But their filling connector is different, and probably has longer to reach in and open a check valve at the back of it.

Swapping is no big deal, they just put their valve on your old tank.
    The people at the swap rack places don't know or care what brand label is on your old tank.
    And it gives Blue Rino more of their unique tanks out in their racks
    without having to buy a new one their self when they service and send back out your old one.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-06-2022 at 07:48 PM.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Some of the newer valves are spring loaded and require a different connector that compresses a ball seal when screwed down.
    This

Ay propane tank experts here?

…there is a bleed screw on the side you can loosen with a screwdriver to bleed/verify gas (liquid if you invert)

Boolit Master
    I have an old plumbers style burner and pot. The connection is a flat plate with threads that you literally screw onto the plate on the propane tank. Looked for quite awhile down here and no one sells the style I need. So just sits in the garage. Frank

Boolit Master

Use the Blue Rhino at Home Depot or Lowe's. Go in on a Sat morning, Garden shop. Set Your old tank in front of the rack, grab a new one and take to cashier. Point out old take to cashier and pay exchange fee.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

On those exchange places I would check the date on the new tank. Last time I got a tank with only a few months left until it expired.

It would seem that the connection for filling would be the same as the bbq's hook-up for gas delivery. I would think it would be universal, if Rino has a something different for filling then wouldn't you need the same Rino hook-up for the delivery (to the bbq).

Quote Originally Posted by pete501 View Post
    if Rino has a something different for filling then wouldn't you need the same Rino hook-up for the delivery (to the bbq).
    Nah,, they got it figured out.
    Their nozzle that goes in to fill their tanks is a little longer or something
    to reach in and push in a check ball or something like that in their valve.
    It keeps you from being able to refill their tank your self off a big tank, or the local propane shop from filling it.

I used to get a larger propane tank filled for a shop heater years ago, and tanks for a forklift.
    The propane guy screwed his filler nozzle into the top valve like we do a BBQ grill,
    but it had a snout on it that pushed back some piece inside the valve before it would allow the flow.
    BR has a similar filler nozzle for their valves, but it's just different enough so other ones won't work.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-07-2022 at 12:58 PM.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Bub
    In my quest to make a larger smelting pot I needed an old tank. Got one from the local lumber yard that was "empty". Got over an hour of run time smelting before it pooped out. Then removed the valve, added some liquid dish soap and some water shook it around, drained and rinsed and left upside down for a week. Then cut-off wheel to start a slot and on to a Sawzall. Perfect. Depending on the age of the tank it may not fit on the new tank fittings so you'll need to find an older propane stove or torch to burn off the gas.

Another option is to drop off the tanks you can't empty at the refill station and ask to buy an empty tank. Or maybe you can trade your old tank for a newer out of date tank. In MA there is a date stamped on the tanks and if older than 12 years it cannot be refilled. Oooo, these are candidates for cutting into half tank planters, ahhh... smelting pots.

Boolit Master

I have traded one in at a blue rhino , it has been filled by the local propane places several times .

Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    I have traded one in at a blue rhino , it has been filled by the local propane places several times .
    I did a little research:

Their unique valve can be identified by a triangle shaped knob, and a triangle design stamped onto the valve.
    It takes a magnetic key inserted on the side to move a steel check ball, and allow it to be filled.
    There are old ones out there that haven't been retrofitted, and as resourceful as people are--
    As long as they've been doing it--- I'd bet other folks have gotten ahold of the key that unlocks it.

Their new generation TS2 cylinder also has a over fill protection float type device.
    It doesn't seem to allow the tank to be filled all the way to the top.

My big issue with swapping for a BR company's newer TS2 cylinder
    is they only put 17 1/2 pounds of propane in their 20 pound size tanks.

They say its for 'safety reasons'.
    I'm sure it's not so you think their full cylinders are cheaper than the next company's,
    or that you're paying for 20 pounds and only getting 17 1/2.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-07-2022 at 03:29 PM.

EVERYONE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast