Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help here

Boolit Buddy

Need some help here

I was given some lead. It was supposed to have been used as ballast weights for stage curtains etc. It is dead soft (about 4- 5bh with the pencil test). Thuds when you drop it and dents easily. It came in some big 40nlb chunks. It seemed like pure lead to me. So I decided to cast some .58 roundballs with it. Mind you almost all of my casting has been with hardball or 20-1 when I had a BPCR.

I cut off a chunk with a sawzall and threw it in a LEE mag melter. I fluxed with saw dust and skimmed a ton of dross that seemed bronze in color . I casted some roundballs and seemed like I had to flux every 10 balls or so. Dross seemed to stick to my ladle. So i kept fluxing. I tried candle wax and Marvellux. Same results.

I tried adjusting temp. Which is no easy feat to be consistent on my pot. When casting at between 700 and 850 the results were pretty much the same. The ladle looks like it had a copper colored rust on it. And would collect dross on it really fast if I didnt keep the temp hot. I could not keep the ladle clean. Even with the melt very hot.
    I have only cast roundballs a couple times with pure lead and didnt have this issue. I never had this casting bullets with harder alloy.

I cast about 85 and quit. Even as hot as I was casting none were frosted. Some looked like I wasnt waiting long enough to open the mold becasue the sprue doesent look like a clean cut. But most of them seem ok.

I am not a experienced caster compared to many people on this site.
    So my question is this. Does this stuff seem contaminated with something?

Boolit Master
    Sounds almost like tin to me. That would be a freakin' gold mine if it were. Tin is going for 29.00 a lb.!!! You may want to have a chunk of that analyzed.

Send a sample to the guy here that will analize it for the sample.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I have pure lead analyzed out to 99.99% by XRF, and don’t recall seeing what you describe when I melted it down, so I’d guess you have something besides lead in there.

Pure lead does have a higher melting point than a lead alloy, though. Maybe the top of the melt is cooling too much? On cold days casting outside, I almost always have what looks like dross on top of a melt of clean alloy of known content that I think is just cooled alloy (I’m having some analyzed to be sure).

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    I have pure lead analyzed out to 99.99% by XRF, and don’t recall seeing what you describe when I melted it down, so I’d guess you have something besides lead in there.

Pure lead does have a higher melting point than a lead alloy, though. Maybe the top of the melt is cooling too much? On cold days casting outside, I almost always have what looks like dross on top of a melt of clean alloy of known content that I think is just cooled alloy (I’m having some analyzed to be sure).
    It was cold out side today. I was in my garage with both doors open. It was only about 25 today. I cast by the back door and a breeze is always coming in behind me blowing any fumes out the front. I have never casted when it was like this out side.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Send a sample to the guy here that will analize it for the sample.

Who are you speaking of?

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Who are you speaking of?
    I can't remember off the top of my head, but he's a regular poster and folks refer to him,
    or see him all up & down here when the subject comes up-- which is often.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Doulos - I presume you know what your roundball should weigh from previous experience with "good" metal, or even from what the mould is "supposed" to cast.

I suggest you weigh the balls you have just cast, and compare. Most of the stuff that might be a contaminant - tin, antimony etc is about 60% of the weight of lead, so will pull down the weight of the alloy accordingly. Non-lead content of 10% would reduce the weight of the ball by about 4% (0.9x1.0 + 0.1X.6 = 0.96). Mind you, this much tin or antimony would make a hard alloy, so think proportions rather than absolutes. You might pick up a couple of percent of non-lead.

This test also will at least confirm that your metal is not tin - which would make a ball weighing about 60% of what it is supposed to be.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Wilderness; 01-06-2022 at 08:09 PM.
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post
    Doulos - I presume you know what your roundball should weigh from previous experience with "good" metal, or even from what the mould is "supposed" to cast.

I suggest you weigh the balls you have just cast, and compare. Most of the stuff that might be a contaminant - tin, antimony etc is about 60% of the weight of lead, so will pull down the weight of the alloy accordingly. Non-lead content of 10% would reduce the weight of the ball by about 4% (0.9x1.0 + 0.1X.6 = 0.96). Mind you, this much tin or antimony would make a hard alloy, so think proportions rather than absolutes. You might pick up a couple of percent of non-lead.

This test also will at least confirm that your metal is not tin - which would make a ball weighing about 60% of what it is supposed to be.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks
    Any cast .570 roundball Ive weighed has always been around 278 grains. I weighed about 20 they were all between 277.5 and 281.4. And there was only 2 under 279 out of the 20. So they averaged right around where they should have for the ones Ive weighed before. That includes commercially bought and my own cast.

Boolit Master
    Username BNE is the guy that does the testing.

Boolit Master
    Username BNE is the guy that does the testing.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?29218-BNE

Yep it's me. Shoot me a PM. I can help you out.

BNE
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    Doulos, if you get BNE to analyze your lead, please do us the favor of posting the result. It adds to the knowledge base here. (Which reminds me that I still have to prep a couple samples for him…)

Boolit Grand Master

If you have a can of Drop Out Mould Release spray or a can of spray on Graphite ...spray your ladle , give it a good coat and let dry . The lead doesn't stick to the drop out coating and it last a fairly long time . This is a much better use than spraying the cavities of your moulds ... the stuff builds up on moulds and is a bugger to get cleaned off .
    Works great to keep the ladle clean of dross build up ... do two coats , let dry in btween ...ladle stays clean a lot longe and dross doesn't adhere to it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

25 degrees with a breeze. that's your problem.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    You need to find out what alloy you have before cranking the heat up above 800 degrees or you could end up separating out your tin from the alloy. Then the next thing you know you are fluxing out your tin with everything else.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post
    Yep it's me. Shoot me a PM. I can help you out.

BNE
    sent a PM

As others stated you really should get it checked.

Myself, any time I'm not sure what I have I melt a little pit of it and waterdrop the melted alloy. If it stays soft I know it's pure or close to it. If it becomes harder from the waterdrop I know it's an alloy.

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I was given some lead. It was supposed to have been used as ballast weights for stage curtains etc. It is dead soft (about 4- 5bh with the pencil test). Thuds when you drop it and dents easily. It came in some big 40nlb chunks. It seemed like pure lead to me. So I decided to cast some .58 roundballs with it.
    Pure Pb has a melting point of 620 degrees. Linotype (84% Pb, 12% Sb, 4% Sn) has a melting point of 480 degrees, which is the lowest of any alloy typically used in boolit casting.

You are likely still too cold.

Pure Pb will also not frost very easily when cast, and will have a dull darker grey color when exposed to the air for a while.

Your hardness test is key here. You can't get that low of a BHN if it's mixed with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    You need to find out what alloy you have before cranking the heat up above 800 degrees or you could end up separating out your tin from the alloy. Then the next thing you know you are fluxing out your tin with everything else.
    Sorry - I have to step in and correct this old wives tale. That theory is simply not true. I have done several tests over the years with very hot pots (~900F) and scraping the dross off the top. I kept samples from each scraping. Then I measured the alloy that was scraped off plus the final alloy.

THE ALLOY MIX DID NOT CHANGE!

I have done similar tests with a hot solder dip pot at work. It was left on for several years. (YES, YEARS) I tested that pot with the XrF that we have at work and I had samples sent out for a different style test method. The Tin content was NOT depleted at all.

Yes, the oxide layer on top of your pot contains Tin, BUT that is an incredibly thin layer. You are not going to "flux it out" with sawdust or wax. Nor will you "Over heat it out" or scrape it out.

BNE
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast